Allergic Conjunctivitis

Related Terms: Allergy In Eyes, Anti Allergic Eye Drops, Conjunctivitis, Redness In Eyes, Dry Eyes, Blurred Vision, Eye Infection

Allergic Conjunctivitis and Its Treatment Options
Article Overview: Allergic conjunctivitis is a very commonly seen disease in the ophthalmology OPD. Allergy as a disorder usually involves the whole body and does not only involve specific organs of the body. Although the symptoms like watering, itching, redness, blurred vision are quite troublesome, the allergic reaction per se is just a bodily defense mechanism designed to isolate and seal away or destroy foreign objects by our immune system. This article looks at the various ways in which allergy, eye allergies in particular, can present, the effects of longstanding allergic conditions of the eye and the effects of treatment with their side effects.  Read Article »
Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

An allergy is simply a hypersensitivity reaction of the body to various foreign substances referred to as allergens. Allergens, if found to be from within the patient's body itself, give rise to a group of disorders called as autoimmune diseases. Here we will be looking in particular at only allergi ...  Read Article »

Which medicine can I take for itchiness in eyes?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old male. There is a lot of itchiness in eyes for the past three to four days. Please tell me what to do. Which medicine can I take?  Read Full »
Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think you have allergic conjunctivitis. Eye allergies, called allergic conjunctivitis, are a common condition that occurs when the eyes react to something that irritates them (called an allergen). The eyes produce a substance called histamine to fight off the allerg...  Read Full »

My eyes becomes red and itchy whenever I visit my hometown. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, My eyes become red and itchy whenever I visit my hometown. They remain fine when I am in the city where I work. But as soon as I visit my hometown, they become red in a day or two. I have the problem for about two to three years. There are no pollens present here, and the climate is the...  Read Full »
Dr. Skandha Harshita
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from seasonal allergic conjunctivitis. Although you do not have pollens or any visible allergens in your area, your eye is already sensitized previously. Allergic conjunctivitis can trigger spontaneously. Reduce the sensitivity of the eye to such aller...  Read Full »

I am experiencing itchiness and redness in my eyes. Kindly suggest.
Query: Hello doctor, I am experiencing itchiness and redness in my eyes since a few days. I have been administering eye drops twice or thrice a day since two to three days but the problem persists. The redness is more after waking up and it subsides a bit after using eye drops (Itone eye drops). A major p...  Read Full »
Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, I feel that you could have allergic conjunctivitis with some degree of dry eyes. The major symptom of allergic conjunctivitis being itching and of dry eyes being burning sensation. Both conditions cause redness and irritation and are aggravated...  Read Full »

What is causing eye itchiness and blurry vision?
Query: Hello doctor, I think I have a problem with my cornea. I had itchy eyes (due to hay fever) last week. During that time, I had a gritty feeling in my right eye which made me rub my eyes. It got really sore and small thread-like materials are coming out of my eye. I am scared if it is part of my corn...  Read Full »
Dr. Dada Peer K
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Evaluation of your history indicates that you are having allergic conjunctivitis with probable involvement of cornea resulting in keratoconjunctivitis. The thread-like material coming out of the eyes indicate ropy discharge which is typically seen in allergic conjunc...  Read Full »

How to cure eye allergy?
Query: Hi doctor, My 3 year old son has eye allergy for over two months now. When I consulted first, doctor suggested after inspection that it is a kind of seasonal pollen allergy and to give the eye drop Olopatadine along with Cellulose based eye lubricant. As it was not completely cured they gave steroid...  Read Full »
Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your doctor is right in saying that your son has allergic conjunctivitis. Eye allergies, called allergic conjunctivitis, are a common condition that occurs when the eyes react to something that irritates them, called an allergen. The most common allergens are dust and pol...  Read Full »

Why am I having itching and white discharge from eye?
Query: Hello doctor, I have an eye problem, eye itching, irritating eye, white thread discharge, and facing these problems for the past one year.  Read Full »
Dr. Skandha Harshita
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your symptoms, I could understand that you are suffering from allergic conjunctivitis. It is a common problem in people with allergies of nose and lungs. I would prescribe Olopatadine eye drops, one drop four times a day. Artificial eye drops one drop four times ...  Read Full »

What can cause redness and itching of the eye since two years?
Query: Hello doctor, A 10 year old boy I know seems to have an eye allergy. The redness of the eyes started when he was eight. He rubs his eyes as they itch him, especially during sunset and before bedtime. His eyesight has been examined and found to be normal. His uncle, 32 years old, had the same issue ...  Read Full »
Dr. Chandrashekhar Kale
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) do suggest that he is suffering from allergic conjunctivitis. It is treated with steroid eye drops and anti allergic eyedrops and lubricating eye drops. But, the dose has to be titrated by an eye doctor after ...  Read Full »

I have burning and redness in eye with blurred vision. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, About every year, I have this problem but this year it is there for a long time. I am a girl that have these eye problems. Burning eyes and redness of the eye, puffing around the eyes with pain, tears from the involuntary eye, blurred vision, and the doctor did not diagnose my problem. S...  Read Full »
Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you mentioned that you get this problem every year, this suggests the cause as seasonal allergic conjunctivitis. This problem frequently causes dry eyes, which causes a feeling of burning sensation. So all these problems go hand in hand. To be honest, there is no...  Read Full »

Baby has thin white line surrounding the eyeball. What is it?
Query: Hello doctor, My 1 year old baby is having a white thin line surrounding the black area in the eyeball in the left eye and the white part is little red.  Read Full »
Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the pictures you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there are two possible diagnoses. Keratitis (marginal keratitis). Allergic conjunctivitis. Although I feel this is more a picture of keratitis. I suggest starting Vigamox eye dr...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Allergic Conjunctivitis? We have medical experts to help you right away.