Als

Related Terms: Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Muscle Twitching, Anxiety, Benign Fasciculation Syndrome, Emg, Nerve Conduction Velocity, Fasciculation

Is ALS the only reason for continuous twitching?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. For the last three days, I have noticed continuous twitches on the thenar aspect of my right palm. Today, I searched on the internet and it showed it could be ALS. I am worried. Also, I noticed that my right thenar prominence is a little less than the left. I do...  Read Full »
Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not think this to be ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). ALS will have little more extensive twitches and at times they are visible on the muscle surface and a number of muscles having the flaccid type of weakness. Fasciculation only for three days without any weak...  Read Full »

In ALS, are symptoms present on both sides of the body?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 45 years old female. I first experienced my symptom 18 years ago, which was left-hand side symptom. I have seen two neurologists since the last visit along with MRI was seven years back. My main concern back then was MS, but the last neurologist said it is not MS. I raised my ...  Read Full »
Geriatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. I can state with 100 % confidence that no ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) presents over the 18 years. It is a progressive illness and once started, there is gradual deterioration. As symptoms experienced by you are of ep...  Read Full »

Are my ALT and ALS levels alarmingly high?
Query: Hello doctor, I recently had a routine blood work done, and my ALT level is 62 and ALS level is 82. All other levels were normal. I am on Lexapro. Are these levels alarming? Do I need a drastic change in my diet?  Read Full »
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your ALT and AST levels are mildly elevated, which indicate the presence of mild fat deposits in the liver. I would recommend that you get an ultrasound of the liver done. Follow a low-fat diet by avoiding fried food, cooking oils, and fast food. Also, you should exerc...  Read Full »

How can I rule out ALS?
Query: Hi doctor, About five weeks ago, I started feeling some weakness in my left leg. I have consulted my family doctor and a neurologist. All physical tests showed no actual weakness. There were no other clinical signs and the reflexes were also normal. There is no activity or movement that I cannot do....  Read Full »
Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The various symptoms you have described are due to L5-S1 moderate broad left paracentral disc protrusion mildly distorted the anterior aspect of the thecal sac and abutting without displacing the traversing nerve roots. When a disc prolapses and compresses the spinal c...  Read Full »

Are my muscle fasciculations pointing towards ALS?
Query: Hello doctor,I have some symptoms that worry me a lot. I have been having muscle fasciculations all over my body (hands, arms, feet, legs, chest wall, glutes, knees, and cheek), every day, multiple times, for about half a year. Recently, (for about two weeks) they have worsened and I twitch almost c...  Read Full »
Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read carefully your question and would explain that your symptoms do not seem to be related to ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). Besides, at your age, this diagnosis would be exceptional. I agree with your doctor that benign fasciculation syndrome seems to be th...  Read Full »

What is the chance of getting ALS if someone in the family had it?
Query: Hello doctor,My grandfather died of ALS and now I am having signs of it. He is the only one that we know of that had it in the family. So my first question is what is the chances of me getting it? Second question is I twitch in my left arm, left hand, left leg, left calve non-stop. Sometimes I get i...  Read Full »
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) is familial in only 10 % of the cases. The diagnosis is mainly clinical (with characteristic symptoms). EMG AND NCS (nerve conduction studies) may help in the diagnosis, symptoms include: 1. fascicula...  Read Full »

I have twitching in my forearm. Could it be ALS?
Query: Hello doctor,Since the past week, I have had a twitch in my forearm area. I do not know if it was because I had to lift a three-gallon bottle for a long stance, or due to my anxiety issues. There is no weakness or atrophy as could be the case with ALS. Also, the movement of the twitch is very visi...  Read Full »
Geriatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. Let me tell you that, it is possible to confirm the diagnosis of ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), only after physically examining the patient. About your concerns, I would like to inform you that an isolated twitching...  Read Full »

I am suffering from health anxiety and scared of ALS. Please help.
Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from health anxiety, and I am scared of ALS. I started getting muscle twitches all over my body about six months ago. It started after I stopped taking Valium 10 mg daily for seven months (in suppository form). However, they still occur. I have discontinued Benzodiazepines...  Read Full »
Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms could be related to benign fasciculation syndrome, which is associated with multiple muscle fasciculations in the absence of any neurological disorders. Of course, anxiety can trigger this clinical situation. As your EMG (electromyography) was normal, we c...  Read Full »

I have twitching in my legs. Do you think it is ALS?
Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about twitching in my legs.  Read Full »
Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Muscle twitching can be related to differential medical disorders: Neuropathy (nerve damage) Thyroid gland dysfunction. Electrolyte imbalances. Muscular disorders. Epilepsy (seizures) or central nervous system disorders. Benign fasciculation syndrome, etc. ...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Als? We have medical experts to help you right away.