Amniocentesis

About "Amniocentesis"

Amniocentesis is a procedure where the amniotic fluid, which is the fluid that surrounds and protects the baby during pregnancy, is collected from the uterus for testing or treatment. It is used to diagnose fetal infections or for genetic testing or fetal lung testing. It is also used as a treatment for polyhydramnios (too much accumulation of amniotic fluid during pregnancy).

Related Terms: Down's Syndrome, Trisomy 21, Karyotyping, Antenatal Ultrasonography, Double Marker, Markers Of Down's Syndrome, Pregnancy