Anemia

Related Terms: Iron Defeciency Anemia, Iron Supplement, Low Hemoglobin, Anaemia, Folic Acid, Complete Blood Count, Hemoglobin

Is anemia common in pregnancy?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old woman. I am 22 weeks pregnant. I have had blood work done today, which came out normal except for the following values. Hemoglobin 10.8 (11.7-15.5), RBC 3.79 (3.8-5), hematocrit 32% (35-45) and reticulocyte production index 0.72. My serum iron is normal at 56 (50-1...  Read Full »
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: The hemoglobin levels do fall during pregnancy. Due to increased fluids in the body, hemodilution will occur and overall hemoglobin levels will fall. This is one of the protective responses to reduce too much loss of blood, i...  Read Full »

Iron-Deficiency Anemia - Its Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment
Article Overview: Iron-deficiency anemia is a global burden over the communities, and it is prevalent everywhere. This article discusses the clinical features, causes, diagnosis, and treatment of iron-deficiency anemia.  Read Article »
Hematologist

Clinical Features: Most of the patients will present with fatigue, tiredness, and dizziness. If anemia is severe, then breathlessness (dyspnea) is also present. Patient's working capacity is restricted, and palpitation can be present. If iron-deficiency anemia is present from early life (from six ...  Read Article »

I have anemia with low ferritin level. Can it be cured with diet and supplements?
Query: Hello doctor, My age is 27 years and I am a female. I have anemia with a very low ferritin level 2.1 and HB is 6.5. Can it be cleared by taking diet and iron supplements? Which is a good time to take Zincofer syrup, how much ml? Please advice.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are suggestive of iron deficiency anemia. I want to check your full CBC report. The investigations that are suggested in your case is peripheral smear examination, transferrin saturation, and serum TIBC (total iron binding capacity) also. You need to be...  Read Full »

What is microcytic normochromic anemia?
Query: Hi doctor, I had a full blood count done and the report mentioned that there were microcytic normochromic cells noted. What does the report mean? Am I anemic or vitamin deficient? What do I do to get better? What are the concerning signs from this report? I do usually feel fatigued and lazy. How can...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Microcytic RBC (red blood cell) means that the size of the RBC is decreased. Usually, it is seen in iron deficiency anemia. But, your hemoglobin level is within the range. So, anemia is ruled out. Excess stress, anxiety, being overworked, lack of exercise, lack of slee...  Read Full »

My daughter has pernicious anemia from the age of 11. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, I hope you will be able to help me with my daughter's health. The summary of her health is as follows: She was born prematurely at 25 weeks. She had to undergo PDA surgery soon after. She had Hashimoto's hypothyroidism when she was 8 years of age. She had urticaria and angioedema for m...  Read Full »
Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and the medical history of your daughter. I have seen the detailed reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) as well. Let me answer each one of your questions. Her raised cortisol is likely to be due to exogenous steroids use, like...  Read Full »

Tips To Prevent Iron Deficiency Anemia In Children
Article Overview: Have you as a parent observed symptoms like lethargy in your kids? Or even difficulty in breathing? If so, do get a complete blood test done to check your child’s hemoglobin levels. If the hemoglobin count is too low, your child may be suffering from iron deficiency anemia. It may be due to various reasons. Having a lot of worms may also reflect symptoms like iron deficiency anemia in children. Also, a diet lacking in iron may force your child to develop anemia. Certain malabsorption disorders and gut disorders may also lead to iron deficiency anemia. Piles in children can lead to anemia. Children who are deficient in iron may have certain cravings for non-nutritive foods like chalk. These are symptoms to figure out if your child is deficient in iron.  Read Article »
Dr. Krystel Quadros
Paediatrician

Iron deficiency anemia can certainly be prevented by following the tips mentioned below. Make Your Kid Consume Iron Rich Sources Iron deficiency anemia can be prevented by consuming iron-rich foods like a diet consisting of enough greens, chicken, liver, garden cress seeds and flaxseeds. If your c ...  Read Article »

How to manage microcytic hypochromic anemia with thrombocytopenia?
Query: Hi doctor, My partner was admitted to the hospital for low platelet count, and she was asymptomatic. They did a blood transfusion and gave corticosteroids. There was no improvement on her platelet level. The doctor suggested me to consult a hematologist. On her recent reports, her platelet count wa...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Her platelet count is low in the manual as well as in cell counter. So infective etiology has to be ruled out first. If there is no sign of any infection, then ultrasonography abdomen h...  Read Full »

Shortness of breath and anemia
Query: Hello doctor, I have: Shortness of breath and ongoing anemia since giving birth. Bruising stomach, right arm and behind the chest. Painful legs. I am attaching files.  Read Full »
Dr. Chitrangada
Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Shortness of breath can occur secondary to anemia postpartum and are interrelated. However, bruising of arm and stomach may indicate underlying coagulopathy or embolic phenomena secondary to deep vein thrombosis. On observations in the contrast CT scan attached as abov...  Read Full »

Can low G6PD level cause hemolytic anemia?
Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I did a series of blood tests to check my pre-existing G6PD deficiency. The results showed low G6PD levels of 0.4 units/gram of hemoglobin. I have read that anything below 10 % of the normal range can cause hemolytic anemia. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your G6PD (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase) level is low. But clinical correlation is needed in your case. I suggest you investigate with CBC, reticulocyte count estimation, and perip...  Read Full »

Is the patient free from Fanconi anemia if reports are negative for chromosomal breakage syndrome?
Query: Hello doctor,The findings during chromosome breakage study for Fanconi anemia are not in favor of chromosomal breakage syndrome. Is the patient totally free from the Fanconi anemia?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In Fanconi anemia, there is a presence of birth defects along with severed degree anemia. If such a finding is present, then further work out has to be done for that. I have checked your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is not showing any c...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Anemia? We have medical experts to help you right away.