Ankylosing Spondylitis

Related Terms: Hla B27 Antigen, Joint Stiffness, Physiotherapy, Hip Joint Pain, Arthritis, Etoricoxib, Nsaids

Ankylosing Spondylitis
Article Overview: This article discusses about the causes, pathology, clinical features, musculoskeletal manifestation, investigation and management of ankylosing spondylitis.  Read Article »
Dr. Saswati Nanda
Pain Medicine Physician

Ankylosing spondylitis is a chronic inflammatory autoimmune disorder of the spine characterized by pain and stiffness with a variable course. It mainly affects the joints of the spine and sacroiliac joint in the pelvis. As the severity increases, the joints start t ...  Read Article »

I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis. Kindly suggest new medications.
Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis (HLA B27 positive and Rh factor negative) since 10 years, now on Saaz-DS, SI joints are fused. Movement restrictions of neck, forward bending and morning stiffness with sciatica. Kindly suggest the new medications and NSAIDs. I have attached ...  Read Full »
Dr. Divya Agarwal
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The NSAIDs you can take are Etoricoxib 90 mg once daily or Diclofenac 75 mg twice daily. You can try this out and see which one helps more. Once your pain is controlled, you can try to reduce the dose to alternate days or even lesser depending on your pain. Folic ac...  Read Full »

What are the best exercises for ankylosing spondylitis with Andersson lesion?
Query: Dear doctor, Can you tell me which exercises are the best to do when one is having ankylosing spondylitis with an Andersson lesion apart from any outdoor exercises?  Read Full »
Dr. Palanikumar Chellamuthu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have to inform us of your age, duration of symptoms, whether you are on any medical management, the extent of your body joints and spine involvement, etc. Considering all these have been done, I would suggest you concentrate on deep breathing exercises and pranayam...  Read Full »

Can HLA B27 positve male with ankylosing spondylitis affect his children?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years, I had a hip resurfacing surgery eight years back. I am an HLA B27 positive, even my father is also positive. I have joint pain since last fourteen years. Now, I wish to know that, if I marry and have children will this pass on to them? What measures should I take to ens...  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. About 80 % of people with ankylosing spondylitis have HLA B27 positive and only 1 to 4 % people with positive HLA B27 develop ankylosing spondylitis. That means out of 100 people with positive HLA B27 only one to four can develop ankylosing spondylitis and 96 to 99 a...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to take medicine for ankylosing spondylitis whole life?
Query: Hello doctor, My age is 27 now. When I was in 14 years old, a severe hip joint pain started and the doctor diagnosed it as septic arthritis and operated right hip joint to remove fluid. Then the pain was gone. After three years, again pain started and I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis by ...  Read Full »
Dr. Anuj Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is an autoimmune disorder which actually has no treatment. You need to take medications when there is a flare-up of the disease. In between when you have no symptoms then you can stop the drug. You have not mentioned about your hip pain right now. You need to keep ...  Read Full »

Is Adfar injection a better treatment option for ankylosing spondylitis?
Query: Hello doctor, My husband is suffering from ankylosing spondylitis, and he is under treatment since last year. His doctor has now suggested Adfrar 40 injections along with physiotherapy and belt. The doctor has also suggested halting swimming until further instructions. I am looking for a second opi...  Read Full »
Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and his disease does look quite severe. Developing a compression fracture is an indication that the disease activity is high. The reason for stopping exercises would be the fracture itse...  Read Full »

Which medicine should I use for stiffness caused by ankylosing spondylitis?
Query: Hi doctor, I have been diagnosed to have ankylosing spondylitis approximately 2 years back. I also had psoriasis, probably due to the same and it is chronic. Of late, there is extreme pain and even more stiffness, especially during the morning. It is no more tolerable and hence I am writing this. ...  Read Full »
Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Here are the answers to your questions. You have been diagnosed as a case of ankylosing spondylitis with psoriasis. Both the condition will affect your joints. Ankylosing will affect mainly axial skeletal joints. Psoriasis mostly affects peripheral joints and is of ...  Read Full »

What can be done to slow the disease progression in ankylosing spondylitis?
Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis from two years. Can you please tell me whether there are chances to slow the disease progression and how?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are four modes of therapy for ankylosing spondylitis. NSAID group. Steroid. Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs such as Methotrexate. TNF blocker like Adalimumab. Physiotherapy also should be done. Avoid smoking. Maintain good posture. If inf...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest medicines to minimize the muscle and nerve tightening and any new effective medicine for ankylosing spondylitis.
Query: Hello doctor, Seven years ago, I was affected by ankylosing spondylitis (HLA-B27 positive) (RF negative). And then after a year, I was affected by pulmonary tuberculosis (TB lungs). Tuberculosis was controlled within months and I continued taking medication for ankylosing spondylitis. And then f...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Following are the answers for your queries: Get an  MRI LS spine done, to see for any disc prolapse as the pain you are describing along with tingling sensation is seen in disc prolapse only. A combination of Pregabalin and Methylcobalamine will help you in neuropathy pa...  Read Full »

I have AS since 10 years. Please suggest better medicines.
Query: Hello doctor, I have suffered from AS since 10 years. I manage it by diet, walking, and a few simple exercises. But since three months, I am suffering from right leg pain with neck pain, right eye redness and pain (HLA-B27 positive) and getting some pain relief tablets along with B12 injections, an...  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ankylosing spondylitis is a chronic problem and lifelong. However, treatment is very important because the fusion of joints may cause problems with the movements of the body. Redness of eye is called scleritis and can occur in AS. NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflamma...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Ankylosing Spondylitis? We have medical experts to help you right away.