Anti-rabies Vaccine

Related Terms: Rabies Vaccine, Rabies, Rabies Contact Category, Rabies Immunoglobulin, Dog Bite, Tetanus Injection, Anti-rabies Serum

I took antirabies vaccine only 13 days after a shrew mouse bite. Am I at risk?
Query: Hello doctor,I had taken two antirabies shots ten and three months back for a dog bite. A shrew that had entered the house bit me on my back two weeks back. There was no bleeding even on applying pressure on the area, but the next day I noticed a small clot on my back like the one we have after a sc...  Read Full »
Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rabies vaccination should ideally be started on day 0. But, you have not developed any symptoms. So, it is not late to start vaccination now. You should complete the five-injection rabies schedule. Since it was a category-2 exposure, the immunoglobulin is not requ...  Read Full »

Kindly explain me about antirabies vaccine.
Query: Hello doctor, I was bitten by a dog 10 days ago and got my first antirabies vaccine the next day. Also I got the second and third dose with a gap of three days, respectively. The wound was quite deep and the dog was unknown and untraceable. Everyone guiding me to take complete course of antirabies v...  Read Full »
Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry for the dog bite. But, I am glad that you have taken the correct schedule of vaccines till now. Basically there are two types of antirabies vaccines. Neural tissue vaccine. Tissue culture vaccine. Of these neural tissue vaccines is given in the anterior abdom...  Read Full »

Vaccinated dog bite my daughter. Is anti-rabies vaccine needed?
Query: Dear Doctor, My daughter is 5 years old. A vaccinated dog scratched her right hand with its teeth. There is no skin damage but deep red mark is visible. Is anti-rabies vaccine optional or compulsory for her?  Read Full »
Dr. E Venkata Ramana
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on icliniq.com. Let me explain the seriousness of the deep red marks simply : Visible deep red marks could mean a very small wound but it is still a large door for rabies virus to enter. If rabies has once developed, then it has no treatment. Prevention by anti-rabie...  Read Full »

A pet dog bit me three years back. Can I take anti-rabies vaccine now?
Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old male. Three years ago, a dog slightly bit my hand. The dog died 1.5 years after he bit me. It has been three years now, but I am worried as I heard that rabies appears after years. I did not take any medicine then. I ignored it because it was a pet dog. If I take anti...  Read Full »
Dr. Ehsan Samarbafzadeh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your worry with this situation as rabies is considered dangerous. The good news is that the dog that bit you probably did not have rabies as the progression of this disease is fast in dogs. If a rabid dog bites you, it will die in weeks. As you mentioned t...  Read Full »

My puppy bit me. Do I need an anti-rabies vaccine?
Query: Hello doctor, Do I need an anti-rabies vaccine, because my 2 and a half-month-old puppy nipped me? It is barely a bite but I cleaned it and no symptoms seem to show up, my puppy is not vaccinated yet because it is too young. I am 18 years old.  Read Full »
Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the bite was unprovoked and if it caused bleeding then you should get a course of anti-rabies vaccine plus a shot of tetanus immunoglobulin, to be on the safe side. Even though it is a pet, it is not immunized so the standard protocol is to get vaccinated if the abov...  Read Full »

Being vaccinated, is it fine to get 2 doses of rabies vaccine now for dog bite?
Query: Hi doctor, I had 5 doses of rabies vaccine along with rabies immunoglobulin before two years. A month later again, I was bitten by a dog and took three doses of rabies vaccine. Then after a year when I was bitten by a dog, I had two doses of vaccine. Now, again, I was bitten by a stray dog and took ...  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The antirabies vaccine is usually protective for two years and the antibodies from first dose would have been at a protective level for you. This does not mean that the antibodies will go down after two years, but it only might go down. However, since you took two doses l...  Read Full »

Will antirabies vaccination cause any side effect when there is no dog bite?
Query: Hi doctor, My child has a wound in his inner part of the foot. He is 3.6 years old. He is saying that a puppy bites him and also says injured from stone. We are confused and visited a doctor. He advised us to four doses of injection. Will it cause any side effect when there is no dog bite?  Read Full »
Dr. Deepak Patel
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are in doubt that dog bite has occurred or not, then it is always advisable to give the antirabies vaccine. There is no harm in giving an antirabies vaccine. You should give anti-rabies vaccine because rabies is a fatal disease once it occurs and there is no treatm...  Read Full »

Can you verify if my child is receiving the correct treatment for monkey bite?
Query: Hello doctor, A child, 2 years and six months old, was given the first two doses of Rabipur (anti-rabies vaccine) on the scheduled date, that is the zero and third day of the monkey bite. However, due to lack of knowledge, both the times, it was given in the gluteal region. The third dose was given...  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello doctor, I went through your post. Your child had an animal bite, for which he is receiving post-exposure prophylaxis for rabies. The rabies prophylaxis consists of two steps: Human rabies immunoglobulin is given (20 mcg/kg) around the injury site.  Anti-rabies vaccine (ARV) is given on day z...  Read Full »

A vaccinated dog scratched me. Should I be worried?
Query: Hello doctor, My friend's dog scratched me, and the dog has a tumor on her leg. The dog is vaccinated. Is that scratch still harmful? Do I still need to take any injections?  Read Full »
Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, give attention to the following points: Is the dog drooling constantly? Is the dog involved or was involved in any way with street dogs or any other diseased pets like cats, guinea pigs, or other mammals? Were the injections given within seven years fro...  Read Full »

Is rabies a contagious disease?
Query: Hello doctor, I was bitten by a dog 13 days ago. I took anti-rabies vaccine after 25 hours of the bite. I have taken three vaccines until now. I had oral sex with my wife and by mistake, I bit her at neck two days ago. Should she also receive the anti-rabies vaccine? The dog is still alive.  Read Full »
Dr. Kakkar S
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Contact with someone who is receiving rabies vaccination does not constitute rabies exposure and does not require post-exposure prophylaxis. For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Anti-rabies Vaccine? We have medical experts to help you right away.