Antibiotics

Related Terms: Amoxicillin, Urinary Tract Infection, Paracetamol, Uti, Fever, Azithromycin, Urine Culture

Antibiotic Resistance: a Public Health Issue
Article Overview: Antibiotic resistance is one of the potentially deadliest public health concerns the world is facing, with major institutions such as the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) predicting severe consequences within the next century. Healthcare professionals should lead the pack to ensure that their patients are informed and armed with the correct knowledge to reduce the spread of resistant bacteria. This article aims to educate the patient about ways in which they can aid in the fight against this health issue.  Read Article »
Dr. Philile Donna Bongekile Hlengwa
Community Medicine Physician

I cannot begin to count the number of moments I have had patients request antibiotics for some conditions that do not qualify for antimicrobial treatment. The most common request comes around flu season for a shot of a common injectable antibiotic. The flu is a viral illness that does not get better ...  Read Article »

Antibiotic-Associated Diarrhea (AAD)
Article Overview: Antibiotics cause diarrhea due to infection by antibiotic-resistant pathogens such as Staphylococcus aureus, Clostridium difficile, Candida albicans, Salmonella, Clostridium perfringens type A, Klebsiella oxytoca, etc. CDAD (Clostridium difficile-associated disease) is responsible for 15 to 25 % of cases of AAD.  Read Article »
Dr. Geethu Thomas

The consequences of long-term antibiotic administration are diarrhea, antibiotic resistance, impaired immunity, increased cost of treatment, organ failures and deaths and reduction in beneficial phytoestrogens. Antibiotic-associated diarrhea (AAD) is unexplained diarrhea associated with the use of ...  Read Article »

Is it necessary to take antibiotics to cure wisdom tooth infection?
Query: Hello doctor, My wisdom tooth may be infected, the side of my face is numb and swollen. Are antibiotics necessary for its cure?  Read Full »
Dr. Muzaffer Hissain Parray
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern. As per your history, it seems to me that you are having acute pericoronitis. You need to take antibiotics like tablet Nigox OZ (Ofloxacin and Ornidazole) twice a day for five days. Tablet Lyser D (Diclofe...  Read Full »

Can chlamydia infection cause recurrent UTI?
Query: Hi doctor, I have been with the same partner for 8 years now. During these all 8 years I have had several UTIs with some leading to severe kidney infections. Last week after almost two years of not having a UTI I felt the horrible symptoms again. When going to the doctors UTI urine test came back p...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In UTI, initially, a broad-spectrum empirical antibiotic given and then according to urine culture report, a specific antibiotic prescribed. A certain antibiotic like Azithromycin if prescribed for UTI will be effective against chlamydia as well. For chlamydia, Azithrom...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics reduce the effect of Oral Contraceptive Pills?
Query: Hello doctor, I am using OCP Crisanta 21 for the last six months. Two weeks back, I went for a tooth extraction. So, I took antibiotic Magniclav 625 mg for five days. I had two tablets a day from 15th to 20th of last month. I started my current Crisanta pack on the 16th of last month. My question i...  Read Full »
Dr. Sonal Prasad

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. While some antibiotics do induce hepatic enzymes to decrease the efficacy of contraceptive pills, Amoxicillin is not one of them and can be safely used without the fear of contraceptive failure. However, it is important to stick to the contraceptive schedule. If you have...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?
Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Your sputum stain says that you have lower respiratory tract infection. However, culture is negative which can occur due to antibiotic consumption prior to sputum collection. Treatment would be based on your symptoms. Please mention what symptoms...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?
Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full »
Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can understand your concern.  As you told that your mother had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), I want to tell you that antibiotics are not the treatment for IBS. Probiotics can...  Read Full »

What antibiotics are recommended for chlamydia in an HIV positive?
Query: Hi doctor,I tested positive for chlamydia IgA IgG. Negative IgM. I am HIV positive but undetectable viral load and CD4 724. Recommended antibiotic? Thanks.  Read Full »
Dr. Kakkar S
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A high title of IgA and IgG antibodies to chlamydia generally indicates active infection but it is an auxiliary test and should also be supplemented by a more specific nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) on a urine sample. A NAAT test specifically detects chlamydi...  Read Full »

Which antibiotic cream can be used for balanitis?
Query: Hi doctor, I am worried about the symptoms that are appearing on my penis head since past five days. I am not sure about what it is. Let me give you a bit of history. About five weeks ago, I had a body massage, but instead of the body massage, they gave massage to my penis with some gel. I am not ...  Read Full »
Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is likely to be due to balanitis either due to infection or irritation (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Maintaining the hygiene is the most important. Clean the area with warm water two to three times daily. Avoid all harsh soaps or irritant. You can...  Read Full »

Can antibiotic affect the outcome of HIV test?
Query: Hi doctor, I had HIV test after 40 days of sex and it is negative. I am taking antibiotics for the last 1 month for my symptoms. Would that have affected the outcome of test? For what symptoms should I consult a doctor? How much percentage does this test stand to be negative till 90 days?  Read Full »
Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As I am not aware of your previous history. Please explain your problem in detail. Revert back with a detailed history to a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist  Read Full »

{{item.dr_name}}
{{item.sp}}  

Do you have a question on Antibiotics? We have medical experts to help you right away.