Atherosclerosis

Related Terms: High Blood Pressure, Stroke, Coronary Artery Disease, Hypertension, Antioxidant, Heart Attack, Lifestyle Modification

Atherosclerosis: The Silent Killer
Article Overview: Atherosclerosis is a coronary artery disease which is statistically the No. 1 killer. It is a silent disease, causing us no symptoms, and when it does, it can be life-threatening. Read this article to know how you can prevent this deadly disease.  Read Article »
Dr. Vasantha K S

The word '-athero' means paste and '-stenosis' means harden. So, atherosclerosis is the hardening of deposits formed inside the blood vessels, gradually building up to obstruct the blood flow in the vessel, and eventually, restricting the blood flow completely. Causes In a healthy person, the innerm ...  Read Article »

What homeopathy medicines can help atherosclerosis?
Query: Hello doctor, My calcium coronary score is very high around 1800. Can you prescribe me homeopathic medicines which can effectively treat the plaque and atherosclerosis? I would prefer preparations from established medical companies. Have you heard of R12 from Dr Reckeweg? Please opine on the same t...  Read Full »
Dr. Potnuru Srinivaasa Sudhakar
Homeopathic Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Calcium coronary score (CCS) increase causes the development of coronary artery disease. It causes fatty plaque formation in the coronary artery leading to narrowing of the artery. It is also called as cardiac calcium scoring. For men, CCS has 15-year mortality ran...  Read Full »

Can erectile dysfunction be managed through Siddha medicines?
Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from erectile dysfunction due to atherosclerosis causing less blood flow to the penis, this may be due to family history of high cholesterol. The allopathy medicine suggested for this is Tadalafil 5 mg every day (vasodilator). Is it manageable through Siddha medicines? I...  Read Full »
Dr. Arul Amuthan
Pharmacologist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As per your blood report, your cholesterol profile is above the upper limit. This might be the cause for the penile artery blockage (atherosclerosis plaque). But, I think the other possible...  Read Full »

Heart Healthy Foods
Article Overview: There are millions of people across the globe who suffer from various heart ailments like atherosclerosis, ischemic heart disease, myocardial infarction, coronary heart disease, and stroke. According to the American Public Health Association, a majority of the heart ailments are caused due to a faulty diet and lifestyle pattern owing to today’s sedentary lifestyle. People are so busy and stressful these days that they do not get enough time to exercise and even prepare a healthy meal and end up consuming junk bought from outside which is very palatable and sadly hazardous to health too.  Read Article »
Dr. Krystel Quadros
Dietician

Here are some of the reasons listed for the causes of various heart diseases. Consumption of Foods High in Bad Cholesterol Bad cholesterol is one which is rich in saturated fats and contains trans fat. Sources of trans fat include butter, ghee, margarine, lard, milk solids, etc. Trans fat is found ...  Read Article »

What are the symptoms when you have blood clots in your body?
Query: Hello doctor,What are some of the symptoms when you have blood clots in your body?  Read Full »
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pain is the most important symptom of clogged vessels. As a physician, we see different cases of clogged vessels mostly due to atherosclerosis. Obstructed vessels of the heart cause chest pain, obstructed vessels of the legs cause leg pain, and so on. For more informa...  Read Full »

What is Lp-PLA2?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 47 year old female. My height is 5'4" and weight is 120 pounds. I have slightly elevated cholesterol level and so I had a blood test done before three months for Lp-PLA2, which came back high. I had it repeated this week, exactly three months later and it came back double high. I ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Lp-PLA2 (lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2) is a marker of inflammation and can be raised in any atherosclerosis or even inflammatory conditions like rheumatoid arthritis. However predominantly it is used as a cardiac marker. I need few det...  Read Full »

How to reduce the increased lipoprotein level?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 42-year-old female. I am not taking any medications till now. Recently, I did my yearly medical tests and saw my LP(a) at 54.3 mg/dL. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, LP(a) level should be less than 30 mg /dL. But, you have an increased level. High level of LP(a) signifies the increased risk for atherosclerosis of vessel and heart disease like ischemic heart disease. The doctor usually prescribes this test when there is a hi...  Read Full »

Why has my father suddenly become speechless?
Query: Hello doctor, My father aged 67 years old suddenly got speechless. When he woke up in the morning we went to throat specialist but there is no problem with the throat. We got CT scan of the brain done. Then we had referred to the neurologist. He then immediately admitted to the hospital and the tre...  Read Full »
Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your father's symptoms are compatible with a stroke. Coming to this point I would recommend performing a Doppler ultrasound of the carotid arteries to investigate for possible narrowing. It could be due to atherosclerosis. It is also important consulting with a speec...  Read Full »

Why should we avoid oral contraceptive pills after 40 years?
Query: Hello doctor, I have a question. Estrogen shows cardioprotective effect before menopause. But, it increases the risk of CVS diseases if taken in oral contraceptive pills. And, they say that oral contraceptive pills should be avoided after 40 years because of CVS complications. I am not getting it....  Read Full »
Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Natural estrogen is cardioprotective as it increases the level of HDL (high-density lipoprotein) and decreases the level of LDL (low-density lipoprotein). Oxidation of LDL cholesterol is believed to be the initiator of atherosclerosis. Estradiol and other estrogens are...  Read Full »

I would like to get a proper diagnosis regarding my high hs-CRP.
Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from iron depletion. My iron is low, but ferritin and hemoglobin are normal. My folic acid was 4 about a year ago. I took Folic acid tablets for two months and it is normal now. My vitamin D has improved after taking tablets. My vitamin B12 is also on lower side. I am mar...  Read Full »
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and after going through your reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: C-reactive protein (CRP) levels are a bit high indicating mild inflammation. This value is suggestive of high cardiac risk. Your cholester...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Atherosclerosis? We have medical experts to help you right away.