Atropine

Related Terms: Refractive Error, Amblyopic Eye, Eye Checkup, Eye Refraction, Myoclonus, Photophobia, Squint Eyes

Is atropine recommended for progressive myopia?
Query: Hi doctor,My daughter is 6 years old. She has progressive myopia. She has a high spherical number in her right eye, which is -3.5 and left eye -1.75. She also has a constant cylindrical number which is -3.25 in the right eye and -2.25 in the left eye. According to her pediatric ophthalmologist, the ...  Read Full »
Dr. Chandrashekhar Kale
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Some studies show that atropine treatment prevents progression of myopia to some extent. Hence, some doctors recommend it for progressive myopia. However, 1% dosage is high. The actual dosage is 0.01%. This treatment needs to be continued till at least 14 to 15 years...  Read Full »

Please suggest some medicine to cope with my stomach pain and diarrhea.
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 20 year old female. My height is 5'8" and weight is approximately 140 lbs. The only medication I am on right now is birth control pill. I woke up three days ago with diarrhea and terrible stomach pains. I felt nauseous, but I have never thrown up. The diarrhea has been persistent,...  Read Full »
Dr. Rajesh Deshwal
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Though Lomotil (Diphenoxylate and Atropine) is not a drug, which needs to be recommended for routine use in diarrheal settings as this drug decreases the motility of gut, which can sometimes allow toxins to be absorbed in the gut. Since you have got an important exam, thi...  Read Full »

What can be done to reduce myopia?
Query: Hello doctor, I have myopia problem, but day by day it is increasing. What should I do to reduce it?  Read Full »
Dr. Manish Mahabir
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Unfortunately, there is no proven treatment available for this condition. People have tried various treatments like intraocular pressure reducing drops, or atropine in children. It is a good practice to get your refraction done six-monthly as using improper glasses is a...  Read Full »

How to correct my 8 months old daughter's squint?
Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 8 months old. She is having a squint or misaligned eyes. Please let me know the treatment.  Read Full »
Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, we need to check if the squint is a true squint or pseudo squint. If it is a true squint then, the first step is cycloplegic refraction. We will instill Atropine ointment for three days, and then we will check if any glasses are required or not. If there is a signi...  Read Full »

Does my baby have squint eyes?
Query: Hello doctor, The query is regarding my 6.5 months old baby girl. She has been seen by two pediatric ophthalmologists. The first one examined her eyes using a Plusoptix vision screener and assured us that everything was normal based on the testing results. He assured us that there was no strabismus....  Read Full »
Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome back to icliniq.com. The amount of refractive error manifested depends on the cycloplegic medications used and the amount of time elapsed after using the medication. The gold standard for a 2 year old is Atropine ointment for three days followed by retinoscopy. So, if different medicat...  Read Full »

My pupils are big after cataract surgery. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, I had cataract surgery. I can see objects only with the rigid lens and it is blurry. I cannot read anything. My eyes still get hurt by bright light and my pupils are big. Why?  Read Full »
Dr. Asif Manzoor
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After the cataract surgery, pupil may remain dilated due to surgical trauma to constrictor pupillae muscle or iris is damaged and becomes atrophic. Some drops also cause pupil dilation. Make sure you are not using any dilating drops with red caps such as Tropicamide, C...  Read Full »

Are the hitting of my stomach and diarrhea interrelated? What medicine can be taken?
Query: Hello doctor, I hit my stomach with a doorknob pretty bad, and it hurts. I now have diarrhea too. I have to fly now for 15 hours in some time. Should I be worried?    Read Full »
Dr. Nazma Parveen

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not think being hit by a doorknob has anything to do with diarrhea. Do you have any associated pain or bruising in the affected area? If you do not have recurrent loose stools, then nothing has to be done. But if it recurs, you may have to take Lomotil&nb...  Read Full »

Does a two year old with eye power need to wear glasses?
Query: Hello doctor, My two year old son has eye power. Right S C A -1.50 -1.00 169 -1.50 -1.00. 171 -1.50 -1.00. 171 -1.50. -1.00. 171. Left S C A 2.00. 0.75. 149 1.75. 0.75. 140 1.75. 0.75. 139 1.75. 0.75. 140 Does he need glasses? Which type of eye power? Will his number reduce when he gro...  Read Full »
Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The retinoscopy that has been done is the final refractive error. The automatic refractometer readings that you have mentioned are in negative but retinoscopy that has been mentioned ...  Read Full »

Is fecal incontinence related to previous stroke?
Query: Hello doctor, The patient is experiencing fecal incontinence, he had brain infarct a few years back and has trouble walking and speech. Walking is totally restricted due to loss of control over his sphincter. He is taking probiotic Vibact twice after food.  Read Full »
Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read carefully your question and would explain that fecal incontinence is not a common sign of stroke. It could be related to vascular dementia (compatible with the MRI findings). Coming to this point, I would recommend some diet modifications (avoiding food which...  Read Full »

Is ligament laxity a side effect of Sevoflurane?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36 year old female. My height is 164 cm and weight is 48 kg. I was healthy with fine ligaments. Two years back, I had spine surgery for a herniated disk at the level of L5/S1. Soon after the operation, I got something like sleep myoclonus. The neurologist said that as benign, but ...  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. Myoclonus or muscle twitching is a known side effect of Sevoflurane use, and it is not a serious concern. Sevoflurane does not cause laxity of ligaments. Very common side effects of Sevofluran...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Atropine? We have medical experts to help you right away.