Azathioprine

Is it fine to take Prednisone and Azathioprine for autoimmune hepatitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been itching throughout my body, especially after eating, for about two years. I noticed fatigue and shortness of breath about 18 months ago. I stopped smoking before seven years. I stopped drinking before a year as my upper abdominal area started paining after drinking. Before fi...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are a few important facts I would want you to consider.  We have to rule out other forms of hepatitis like viral hepatitis, amyloid or iron deposition, NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis) and alcoholic liver disease.  All three markers are non-specific; anti-LMK (...  Read Full »

What kind of dietary changes should I make if I have Crohn's disease?

Query: Hi doctor, I have Crohn’s disease. I would like to know how long it takes for the affected area of the small bowel to end up causing scarring (scar tissue). Do you feel if I have a lower number CRP on regular blood tests, that it should not lead to scarring, thickening or narrowing of the bowel? I...  Read Full »

Dr. Noushif M

Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Azathioprine helps in controlling the disease and hence should be continued. We cannot say how long it will take for scarring. CRP (C-reactive protein) helps in determining disease activity. It may not correlate with scarring. Not all inflammation results in scarring. ...  Read Full »

Taking Azoran for myasthenia gravis. Will it cause any side effect?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother is a myasthenia gravis patient. He had undergone thymectomy four years back. Since then he is continuously taking Azoran 50, an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor. Surgeons are not able to suggest him for reducing the amount of drugs. Available neurologists also do not have any exp...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. See, there are no definitive criteria to stop Azoran (Azathioprine). Usually, if thymus is removed and patient is asymptomatic then your doctor may taper and stop Azoran. However in case one gets a repeat episode then he would need to continue it....  Read Full »

How is vitiligo on lips treated?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has vitiligo on her lower lip. It came to our notice this year, and we consulted a doctor immediately. The doctor gave Dicaris 150 mg to be taken on the weekends of every week for four months. She finished 32 Dicaris tablets so far. She also used Melbild lotion at night and s...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaunak Patel

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I appreciate you going at length in explaining me the exact medicine regimen. You are well in time and not late, so do not worry. I normally give tablet Azathioprine taking into consideration the weight factor. After the stabilization has been achieved in about a coupl...  Read Full »

What does stress have to do with Crohn's disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I have Crohn's disease. Two years back, I was fine. I had gone through extreme stress early that year and after that, I had a flare-up. I lost 9 kg in a month. Then, the doctors detected ulcers in my ileum I was diagnosed with Crohn's. I was out of work for 14 months. Assuming that it...  Read Full »

Dr. Vadivel Kumaran S

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have a very good treatment response to Adalimumab. You are on top-down therapy. Usually, flares are due to non-compliance with medications, secondary infections or malignant transformation. Usually, stress does not cause flare-ups. You may be switched back to Pent...  Read Full »

Does protein leak from the larger filter of kidney in nephrotic syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, I heard that in nephrotic syndrome the filtering unit of kidney becomes larger and so protein comes in urine. I am a patient of cortisone dependent nephrotic syndrome over 15 years. Doctor says that about 95 percent of children will get cured at the age of 18. I am 17 years old now. When...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you have heard the things right. Due to increased pore there is protein in urine. The best treatment remains the Cortisone. In cases where there is no response to Cortisone as evidenced by persistence of albumin in urine, we need to shift those patients on Cyclopho...  Read Full »

My son has nephrotic syndrome with focal segmental glomerulosclerosis. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor, My 12 year old son is suffering from nephrotic syndrome since the last seven years. Two years ago, when his biopsy was done, the result said FSGS. His creatinine levels at that time was 4. Now it is raised to 10.1. He is currently taking Calcium, Folic acid, Pantoprazole, Sodium bicar...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please furnish the following medical information, so that I will be able to give you further advice. What is the cause of focal segmental glomerulosclerosis (FSGS)?Has dialysis been done? What is his urine output?What does his antinuclear antibody (ANA) profile say?Ha...  Read Full »

Is there any latest treatment available for non-specific interstitial pneumonia?

Query: Hi doctor, For the past five years, I have been suffering from non-specific interstitial pneumonia. Initially, I used Deltacortril and Imuran for a year and then till now I am only using Imuran two tablets in the morning and one in the evening. While going to sleep, I use 1 L/min oxygen. I do like t...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. NSIP, non-specific interstitial pneumonia is a chronic disease of interstitial pneumonia. The treatment of disease runs long term. If you stop the treatment early, there is more chance of relapse and the disease will not be controlled with the same medicines. Coming t...  Read Full »

How long will it take for my mother to recover from chikungunya and MG?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 80 years old. She has been having myasthenia gravis for the last 10 years and it has been under good control. She took only Distinon tablet three times a day till last month. One month ago, she had a viral fever. She was admitted in hospital for 10 days and the doctors treate...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I agree that the dosages have been increased quite a bit. But, the myasthenia precrisis is treated this way only. Coexisting viral fever chikungunya may be the added reason to increase the doses on higher side. If it was an overdose, she would have experienced the sympto...  Read Full »

The white spots on my skin are spreading fast. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have some small white spots on my skin of the legs, from the past two years. I was taking homeopathic medicines for it. From the past six to seven months, some new patches are coming on my face. These spots are spreading fast, and it has become a serious issue. Kindly suggest some quick...  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is vitiligo and since new patches are appearing it is called unstable vitiligo. How many patches are there over your body other than your neck? I suggest you try using the following: Tacrolimus 0.1 % ointment once a day. Melgain or Melbild lotion (Deca Peptide)...  Read Full »

All the answers published in the forum are given by leading doctors, therapists and health experts.