Bilirubin

Related Terms: Jaundice, Elevated Bilirubin, Liver Function Test, Hepatitis, Fatty Liver, Cirrhosis, Hemolytic Disease

Bilirubin is high but other liver functions are normal. Should I worry?
Query: Hello doctor, I did blood tests and attached are the reports. Are they alright or do I need to investigate further?  Read Full »
Dr. Smrita Singh
Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your test results (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and the only abnormality is high direct bilirubin. Higher than normal levels of direct bilirubin in your blood may indicate your liver is not clearing bilirubin properly. The most...  Read Full »

My Bilirubin total - 2.2, Bilirubin Direct - 1.5, SGPT - 4548, SGOT - 4153
Query: Dear doctor, Here is my lab report: Bilirubin total: 2.2 Bilirubin Direct: 1.5 SGPT: 4548 SGOT: 4153 I have taken drip and injection for nausea. Now nausea has been cured. I have only abdomen pain now, and my fever has been cured before three days. Color of urine is yellow and color of stools is...  Read Full »
Dr. Madhankumar
Family Physician, General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Fetal Medicine Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With these reports, the picture is like hepatitis. The cause for hepatitis has to be investigated. Further lab investigations like complete liver function test (LFT), ultrasound abdomen and viral markers are needed. Also need the date of these posted re...  Read Full »

Why the bilirubin level is elevated consistently since three months?
Query: Hi doctor, Three months back, I started feeling feverish, but thermometer readings were normal. I went to a doctor and he ran a series of tests. Everything came out fine, except mild hepatomegaly and elevated conjugated bilirubin. My bilirubin is elevated consistently for the past three months (tota...  Read Full »
Dr. Bindiya Thakkar
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your laboratory reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity). All values are excellent, except total bilirubin which is at upper normal level which could be due to fatty liver. I would suggest you to avoid fatty and spicy foods as well ...  Read Full »

My baby's bilirubin levels are above 21. Is he at risk for cerebral palsy?
Query: Hello doctor,I was recently blessed with a baby boy. This week, I just took him to the hospital to check if he had jaundice, as he seemed too sleepy and the bilirubin levels came to 21.80 on the eighth day. I do not know at which rate the levels were being raised. The doctor immediately put him unde...  Read Full »
Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello doctor, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand the situation you are going through. Yes, it is definitely a high level of bilirubin. There will be proper guidelines laid down regarding the management of jaundice in newborn which doctors will follow. If the levels are too high and fall in the ex...  Read Full »

Why the bilirubin level is not decreasing after jaundice attack?
Query: Hello doctor, My father is 72 years old and he is suffering from jaundice. Initially, he was admitted to hospital five months back due to dengue and his platelet count had dropped down to 15,000. Now, he has recovered from dengue but his bilirubin is not decreasing. While getting discharged from th...  Read Full »
Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and in your history, you did not mention about alcoholic history of your father. Is he hypertensive? Is he on any drugs? What about hepatitis A, B and E status? What about ultrasound abdomen status an...  Read Full »

Can elevated bilirubin be interrelated with my stomach discomfort?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33-year-old female and I am fairly healthy and not overweight. I have been having constant nausea and stomach discomfort for several weeks now. I occasionally get a dull ache on the right side and feel full for a long time after eating. I am very worried what this could be. I h...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are suggestive of jaundice and your report also suggests the same. I would need to know Since when are you having all these symptoms? When was this bilirubin test performed? Do you have any fever? How about alcohol consumption? Fo...  Read Full »

I have my total bilirubin and direct bilirubin ranges high. Is it fine?
Query: Hi doctor, I have a total bilirubin level of 27.20 mmol/L and direct bilirubin of 12.20 mmol/L. Is it fine for my profession?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query and your bilirubin level is high. You need to get your bilirubin level within the normal range. Sugar cane juice and apple juice can be taken more. Avoid heavy strenuous activities until your bilirubin level comes under control. For more info...  Read Full »

My newborn has a bilirubin level of 9.1. Is it a cause for concern?
Query: Hello doctor,My baby is 48 hours old now. Her bilirubin level is 9.1. Is it a cause for concern?  Read Full »
Dr. Baratu Bhaisara
Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I will need more details to analyze the report. What was birth weight? Full-term baby or preterm baby? Blood group of mother and baby?Usually, for a full-term baby with birth weight more than 3 kg, mother blood is not Rh negative or O Rh negative, it is considered n...  Read Full »

What does continuous high bilirubin level indicate?
Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from jaundice for the last two months. One month before, my bilirubin level was 1.4. Before 15 days, the level was 1.2 and today 1.8. What is the reason for this change?  Read Full »
Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern for the continuous high bilirubin level. Before proving you appropriate guidance, I would like to know a few more details. I guess the reports mentioned by you are total bilirubin. What about direct, indirect bilirubin and liver enzymes ...  Read Full »

Please check my son's bilirubin report and advise us.
Query: Hi doctor, I just want you to check the report of my son, who is 3 days old. Kindly check the report and tell me about his health. Is everything fine in the report?  Read Full »
Dr. Deepak Patel
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. I have seen the report that you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity).  Today is day 4 of your child and bilirubin total is 8.7 mg/dL and indirect bilirubin is 8.2 mg/dl. This is slightly higher in this age and the ch...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Bilirubin? We have medical experts to help you right away.