Medical Advice on "Breast Feeding"

The only safe drug that you can take while breastfeeding is tablet Paracetamol 500 mg thrice daily for three days after food. You can do hot water vaporization for nasal congestion. You should avoid taking any other medications till you are breastfeeding. Yes, you can … View thread »

I have seen the reports that you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is day 16 of the baby. Bilirubin levels have increased to 15 and it is mainly indirect bilirubinemia. Thyroid-stimulating hormone levels are normal, so hypothyroidism is … View thread »

You have been diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis (bacterial vaginal infection). Metronidazole cream has to be applied vaginally for cure of the infection. Vaginal application leads to absorption of metronidazole, but it is only 2% of the oral dose. Only a small amount … View thread »

First of all, temperature above 100 degrees Fahrenheit is regarded as fever and not below that. Baby is supposed to be breastfed at all times. However, if the mother is suffering from a disease, it is advised for her to wear a mask and feed. Because, that is the route by … View thread »

I went through your query and the prescription (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Most likely your wife might be having throat infection for which she has not received proper treatment. I recommend her to get a test called throat swab culture sensitivity … View thread »

Yes, if you want to use it as an emergency contraceptive, then it is safe during breastfeeding. You can take, but the best contraceptive during breastfeeding is copper-T insertion (intrauterine contraceptive device). For further information consult an obstetrician and … View thread »

This seems to be a viral infection and will most probably be self-limiting in 5 to 10 days. She needs to do gargles with lukewarm saline water (water with salt in it). I advise her to brush the teeth as usual twice a day, especially before going to bed. Ask her to take … View thread »

If you had alcohol for the first time during breastfeeding, not take it regularly or take it in very less amount, then probably it will not have much of an effect on the baby. If taken in large amounts and frequently, the baby may have drowsiness, deep sleep, weakness … View thread »

Your doctor is right. Carbamazepine can get secreted in breast milk and it is the safest antiepileptic during lactation. 1 month old baby sleeps a lot. They can sleep for about 18 to 20 hours a day. They will wake up only for feeds. As long as the baby is gaining weight, … View thread »

Your concern is right. The drug Serax-D, a combination of Serratiopeptidase and Diclofenac potassium should not be advised in case of pregnancy or with lactation. Although it does cause problems like diarrhea, bleeding and rash, data is lacking regarding safety in such … View thread »

Do you have a question on Breast Feeding? We have experts to help you right away.

Ask an Obstetrician And Gynaecologist Now!