Carbamazepine

Related Terms: Anti-epileptic Drugs, Valproate, Gabapentin, Lamotrigine, Seizure, Seizure Disorder, Epilepsy

My cousin is on Carbamazepine, but still getting seizures. What to do?
Query: Hi doctor, My cousin has a history of epilepsy and using Depakine Chrono 750 mg twice daily. He used Allopurinol and got allergy and fever along with seizure. He was given Hydrocortisone injection and Carbamazepine 100 mg twice daily for 10 days and increased to 200 mg twice daily after that. But, s...  Read Full »
Geriatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. If your cousin was seizure free before Allopurinol, then I do not think Carbamazepine is the right thing for her. She should be given anti-epileptic such as Clobazam, which has immediate action. I think Carbamazepin...  Read Full »

Is it safe to take Carbamazepine while breastfeeding?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a mother of 1 month old baby, who is exclusively breastfed. My baby is healthy and gaining normal weight. The problem is that he sleeps a lot. I have been taking Carbamazepine and Eslicarbazepine tablets for partial seizures. Are these tablets safe while breastfeeding? When I consul...  Read Full »
Dr. Sonal Prasad

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your doctor is right. Carbamazepine can get secreted in breast milk and it is the safest antiepileptic during lactation. 1 month old baby sleeps a lot. They can sleep for about 18 to 20 hours a day. They will wake up only for feeds. As long as the baby is gaining weight, ...  Read Full »

I am suffering from Migraine for the last 15 years. There is throbbing pain is on the one corner of the head
Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. I am suffering from migraine for the last 15 years. There is a throbbing pain on one corner of the head and generally the next day it almost definitely shifts to the other corner. This cycle continues. So, the frequency is around 2 headaches per week. I used to take P...  Read Full »
Dr. Rajesh Gulati
Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Both Carbamazepine and Flunarizine have side effect of memory loss. You should take tablet Vasograin. It is most effective at the onset of migraine. Once migraine starts, though it reduces some symptoms, but not so effectively. So along with it, take tablet Diclomol (com...  Read Full »

Is my mother's epileptic treatment going the right way?
Query: Hello doctor, My mother is a patient of epilepsy for 22 years. Earlier she was diagnosed as GTCS (generalized tonic-clonic seizures) and CPS (complex partial seizures) and given Eptoin 100mg BD at first, then Zeptol CR 400mg BD with Cloba 10mg for fits, convulsions, and senselessness. But still, it...  Read Full »
Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your mother's situation seems to be very complicated. I would like to explain that it is true that Carbamazepine (Zeptol) can have no good effect or even worsen idiopathic generalized seizures. I would not recommend Topiramate for this type of epilepsy, because i...  Read Full »

Any advice on going off low dosage bipolar medications?
Query: Hello doctor,I am a 56 year old male. I was diagnosed bi-polar, as part of an attempt to save a failing marriage and took a low dose of Carbamazepine (200 mg) and Lamotrigine (100 mg) for about six years and during that time felt fine. During another relationship that I should have ended much s...  Read Full »
Geriatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. As you can see both of your psychiatrists agree that the dose is too low to have any efficacy and I agree with same as 100 mg of Carbamazepine and 25 mg of Lamotrigine have no value in the treatment of bipolar diso...  Read Full »

Can Levothyroxine be taken along with MAO inhibitor?
Query: Hello doctor, I am wondering if I can take Levothyroxine along with MAO inhibitor? Also, I have taken Etizolam for a sleep disorder, how long do I need to wait before I can take MAO inhibitor?  Read Full »
Dr. Amritagarwal
Pharmacologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can take Levothyroxine with MAO (monoamine oxidase) inhibitor. The list of contraindicated drugs is as follows. Amphetamines. Cocaine. MDMA (3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine). Opiates. Barbiturates. Decongestants and allergy medications. Diet pills...  Read Full »

What are the drugs incompatible with Quetiapine and Lamotrigine?
Query: Hi doctor, My query is regarding the incompatibility of Quetiapine and Lamotrigine with other groups of drugs. Now I have to get treatment for an anaerobic infection. I was prescribed Azithromycin, Clindamycin, Metronidazole and Mycomax. However, I will be extremely grateful if you list me all grou...  Read Full »
Dr. Bharat Udey
Geriatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As such for Lamotrigine following drug interactions need to be considered as important. Valproate increases plasma level of Lamotrigine, hence dose need to be decreased if given with Valproate. Also there are increased chances of rash if given with Valproate. Ant...  Read Full »

My friend is suffering from neuropathic pain after a thalamic stroke. Please help.
Query: Hi doctor, My friend, who is a 48 years old female, suffered a CVA three years back. She was diagnosed with a right thalamic hemorrhagic stroke with pericardial effusion, left hemiparesis, autoimmune thyroiditis, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, ischemic unstable angina, grade 3 obesity, altered glucose...  Read Full »
Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thalamus is the part of the brain, through which all sensory information is relayed. After a stroke involving the thalamus, many times, the patient develops thalamic pain syndrome, which is very poorly responsive to medications. But as you told that it was relieved ...  Read Full »

Why do I have auras that make me jump with fright?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 43 year old man, who has lived with epilepsy since I was 13. I have had very few seizures, maybe one every 4 or 5 years. The last one was four months ago. After I had that one, I recovered and was fine, but about a month ago, I started having what seem like auras. They are differen...  Read Full »
Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have analyzed the symptoms you described in the query. The appearance and pattern of aura are actually suggestive of the fact that the electrical activity of your brain is out of control. Though it is not a full blown seizure, it is surely an early phase of seizures....  Read Full »

Is there any epilepsy that does not cause physical seizures?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from a wide array of mental symptoms for around nine years. Some years ago, I went to see a neurologist. He took an EEG, and found "epileptiform activity", I think in temporal lobes. So he said I have epilepsy and prescribed Valproate. He said my depersonalisation...  Read Full »
Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. EEG (electroencephalogram)is not a diagnostic tool in itself. EEG can show abnormality in a normal person and also can be normal in epilepsy patients. Few EEG changes can be seen in normal and abnormal conditions. As you mentioned that your symptom is psychotic like,...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Carbamazepine? We have medical experts to help you right away.