Cataract Surgery

Related Terms: Cataract, Glaucoma, Contact Lens, Corneal Eye Diseases, Eye Infections, Diabetic Retinopathy, Dry Eye

Cataract Surgery FAQ - Eye Health
Article Overview: No one in the world is free from aging. It is only natural that cataract, a disease of aging, is the most commonly performed non-emergency, daycare surgery in the world. In this article, I try to answer commonly asked questions from cataract patients.  Read Article »
Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

No one in the world is free from aging. It is only natural that cataract, a disease of aging is the most commonly performed non-emergency, daycare surgery in the world. Here I have dealt with questions that cataract patients commonly ask me. How do I know that I have developed cataract? Almost eve ...  Read Article »

Can cataract surgery be had in a person with high blood sugar levels?
Query: Hello doctor, My 68-year-old mother has cataracts in her both eyes. She is advised to have a cataract surgery in her right eye. But her blood sugar level is 150 mg/dL at fasting and 190 mg/dL postprandial. Her HbA1c is 8.8%. We are confused whether cataract operation can be undertaken with this sug...  Read Full »
Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For any surgery be it cataract surgery or any other, blood sugar levels are needed to be in control. Fasting less than 110 mmHg and postmeal less than 140 though levels you have mentioned are not so high. The problem is your mother's HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) is 8...  Read Full »

Dry Eyes After Cataract Surgery
Article Overview: This article deals with the surgery-induced dryness of the eyes, and this is important because often it may so happen that you may not be informed about this possibility before undergoing surgery. So, this article will help you be more informed about the outcome.  Read Article »
Dr. Shikha
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Eye surgeries including cataract surgery and refractive surgeries have advanced with newer developments in the field. But regardless of the surgery that you undergo, the incidence of dryness increases post-surgery and the incidence is higher in the predisposed individuals. This can be seen in patie ...  Read Article »

My pupils are big after cataract surgery. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, I had cataract surgery. I can see objects only with the rigid lens and it is blurry. I cannot read anything. My eyes still get hurt by bright light and my pupils are big. Why?  Read Full »
Dr. Asif Manzoor
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After the cataract surgery, pupil may remain dilated due to surgical trauma to constrictor pupillae muscle or iris is damaged and becomes atrophic. Some drops also cause pupil dilation. Make sure you are not using any dilating drops with red caps such as Tropicamide, C...  Read Full »

Why is my vision not clear even after cataract surgery?
Query: Hello doctor, I had my first cataract surgery in the right eye four years back. Now again this year, I just had cataract surgery in the left eye. Just today, after three days of my second cataract surgery in the left eye, the vision in my right eye is not clear. When I am seeing contact names on my...  Read Full »
Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and want to assure you that it is usually just a benign increase in tearing in both eyes after surgery that causes such a picture. It settles down on its own and will not need any further treatment than your post-operative medication. In ca...  Read Full »

I am getting double vision even after cataract surgery. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, Over the last few years, I have watched and photographed several lunar eclipses (no solar ever). About a year ago, I noticed I was seeing ghost images when I looked at the moon with either eye or both 9 w/left, 7 w/right. Went to Ophthalmologist and they said I need cataract surgery. ...  Read Full »
Dr. Manish Mahabir
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The ghost images are a normal retinal phenomenon known as after images. You need not worry about it. You can see them clearer after cataract surgery because they are a normal retinal response to any image. The more the contrast, the more the ghost images or after images...  Read Full »

What should be done for cloudy vision after cataract surgery?
Query: Hi doctor, In case of cloudiness and pains at night after cataract surgery, what should be done?  Read Full »
Dr. David J Mathew
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After a cataract surgery, the patient is put on a steroid and antibiotic drops to reduce the reaction in the eye, the swelling of the cornea if any and to prevent infection. You have mentioned that you experience cloudiness and pain at night after cataract surgery. ...  Read Full »

Is it alright to use Lastacaft eye drops after a laser cataract surgery?
Query: Hi doctor,I am trying to get help for a friend who had laser cataract surgery last year. She has Lastacaft eye drops that she would like to use and would like to know if it is alright to use.  Read Full »
Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Lastacaft (Alcaftadine) eye drops is an antiallergic drug. It usually should be used only after the advice of your doctor. If your friend suffers from ocular itching, then it is alright to use it. It will not have any side effects on the cataract surgery, but make sur...  Read Full »

Which is the most advanced surgery for cataract without pain?
Query: Hello doctor, My mother is diagnosed with cataract. The prescription of an eye specialist is attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Doctor has recommended for surgery and has prescribed some tests before surgery. My question is what is the most advanced surgery available at pres...  Read Full »
Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As far as cataract surgery is concerned, any good surgeon would do under topical anesthesia (no injection). The most advanced option is Femtosecond laser-assisted surgery and the most advanced lens is Alcon Panoptix Trifocal lens.  Read Full »

Far sight has not improved post cataract. What can be done now?
Query: Hello doctor, My Mother underwent a cataract procedure. After the procedure, we were informed that there was some complication while doing the procedure and they have to do another retina surgery. The same happened next day. It has been more than three weeks but there has not been any remarkable im...  Read Full »
Dr. Priyanka Agarwal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sometimes, complications happen in cataract surgery also. It is mentioned in the medical literature that there is zonular dialysis this makes a little tricky surgery. This makes lens weak and there are chances of particles of lens going back towards the retina. But...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Cataract Surgery? We have medical experts to help you right away.