Chronic Tonsillitis

Related Terms: Tonsillitis, Tonsillectomy, Tonsils, Sinusitis, Post Nasal Drip, Deviated Nasal Septum, Enlarged Lymph Node

Do constant sore throats, extreme fatigue, and swollen neck indicate tonsil cancer?
Query: Hi doctor, I have had sore throats on and off for a couple of years now. One of my tonsils is bigger than the other. I have not been feeling well lately. I get constant sore throats, extreme fatigue, headaches, swollen right side of the neck, some minor difficulty swallowing, a low-grade fever, and...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chronic tonsillitis is a recurrent infection of the tonsils. Tonsils are lymphoid tissue present in the throat. They act as drainage points of various structures in the throat. When they get infected, they cause pain, soreness, headache, fever, and malaise. Tonsil...  Read Full »

Does a small tonsil stone require surgery or will it go away on its own?
Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with a tonsil stone. I have typical symptoms due to tonsil stone along with slight ear pain since the last four to five days. I got checked yesterday and was given an antibiotic and betadine to gargle. It is small in size as said by the doctor. Will it go away or do I h...  Read Full »
Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You have chronic tonsillitis with tonsillolith (stone in tonsil). The curative treatment for this problem is surgery (tonsillectomy). Other conservative treatments may give you a temporary relief, but the condition usually recurs after conse...  Read Full »

I have tonsil stones and an altered sense of smell. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, I currently have tonsil stones that do not occur every day but at a rate of three to four a week. Also, I notice it does not take much for me to get hoarse and my voice cracks for no reason when talking. I have also noticed that my sense of smell is off.  Read Full »
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tonsil stones are a sign of chronic tonsillitis. They occur due to the accumulation of food debris in the tonsil crevices. This may be due to a tonsil infection or due to an infection from the nose. As you have mentioned that your voice cracks and there is a smell di...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have painless raised pinkish flesh colored bumps in throat?
Query: Hello doctor,I have these painless slightly raised pinkish flesh colored bumps in my throat. I do not know if it is normal or something. Is there any need to worry? Currently, I am taking Minocycline, Levothyroxine, and Sprintec 28.  Read Full »
Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You are likely to have granular pharyngitis. It may be secondary to sinusitis or chronic tonsillitis. You should consult your ENT doctor for a thorough examination and necessary investigations to finalize the diagnosis and accordingly, treatme...  Read Full »

What could be the reason and treatment for recurrent tonsillitis?
Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 20 years old and has tonsil problem for last six days. She took medicine for last six days but did not get any relief. She often has the problem of tonsils in two to three months interval. I have tested the CBC. Kindly suggest the remedy. I am also worried about CBC. D...  Read Full »
Dr. Deepthi Maringanti

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the tonsillar infection is not reducing with regular medical management in six days, it indicates that it is chronic tonsillitis. The treatment given may be inadequate or resistant to the organism causing infection. You need to consult an ENT doctor in person and ...  Read Full »

What is the white lesion in my mouth?
Query: Hello doctor, I have one white lesion in my mouth. I do not know whether it is painful or not because it is very deep and also, how long it has been there. Kindly guide me and also tell me if there is any need to worry or it is just only aphthous ulcer. I am not sexually active since 1.5 years. I d...  Read Full »
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the pictures attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are probably having a tonsillolith. It occurs in chronic tonsillitis. It is not an ulcerative lesion at all. There is nothing to be worried about. Use Hexidine gargles. For more inf...  Read Full »

I have swollen tonsils with white spots. What is it?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 20 years old. I have symptoms of swollen tonsils with white spots and bumps on my throat. I went to the urgent care almost two weeks ago, and after running streptococcus and mononucleosis test, they told me that it was more likely viral tonsillitis. I am not experiencing much pain...  Read Full »
Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After reading your symptoms and looking at your photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is suggesting of chronic pharyngitis with chronic tonsillitis. The whitish spots over your tonsils are the food particles that clogged within the tonsillar c...  Read Full »

Which all conditions cause persistent cough with phlegm?
Query: Hello doctor, I am having persistent cough with phlegm for the last four months. I also have fatigue. I am currently taking Cymbalta, Abilify, Topamax, Baclofen, Lorazepam and Trazodone. Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Here I would like to tell you about the causes of persistent cough with phlegm. These are: Rhinitis and Rhinosinusitis. Chronic tonsillitis and tonsillopharyngitis. Chronic bronchitis. Bronchiectasis. Pulmonary tuberculosis. Malignant pathology...  Read Full »

How to prevent frequent episodes of tonsillitis?
Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering with tonsillitis for past three years. Nearly four months back, my tonsils got swollen. Followed by that the right tonsil remains the same and the left got subsided. In these four months, I had few episodes of pain in my ear. Also the glands in my right side of neck got swo...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the conversation we had, I understand that you are an 18 year old male suffering from tonsillitis and you have been having acute exacerbation of the tonsillitis now. Due to the infection, you suffer from ear pain and swollen neck glands. You seem to be suffering fr...  Read Full »

I have cough, sneezing, nose block and headache when the weather changes. Why?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old male. I always have a cough. There is also a nasal flow, sneezing, nose block, headache, body pain and fever sometimes. These happen when the weather changes, when I have ice cream, cold drinks, banana, or get drenched in the rain. I had pneumonia during childhood ...  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query and investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have a chronic cough, nasal congestion, and sneezing. There are different possibilities based on your other symptoms: Allergic rhinitis: This will be my first diagnosis ...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Chronic Tonsillitis? We have medical experts to help you right away.