Clogged Ear

Related Terms: Ear Blockage, Ear Wax, Ear Infection, Steam Inhalation, Clogged Ears, Cold, Ear Drops

I used hydrogen peroxide for my clogged ears and now it is stuck. Please advise.
Query: Hello doctor, I woke up five days ago with clogging in my ears. Stupidly, I went with one of the first solutions I found online and poured hydrogen peroxide in my ear. It is now stuck in my ear canal and I cannot get it out. I have tried Swim-ear drops, ear candle, wax removal kit and shaking my hea...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How sure are you it is wax that caused the blocked ears? If you are absolutely sure, you can put the wax dissolving drops and, it will act on the wax, temporarily swell it and then dissolve it. Or, it will make the wax soft enough for easy removal by a doctor using...  Read Full »

Other than earwax, what can cause clogged ear?
Query: Hello doctor, I had cold a few days ago. During that time, my ear was clogged. I originally thought that it was earwax, but I tried everything for earwax and it did not help. It has been a few days now and I am trying to find out what might be wrong. Please help.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. During an upper respiratory tract infection, like cold, the infection can rise up to ears through the eustachian tube that connects back of nose to middle ear. That is what has happened to you during the cold. It is called eustachian tube catarrh. You need a course of ...  Read Full »

My right sinus and ear are always full with sore throat. What is the problem?
Query: Hi doctor, I have a sore throat. My right sinus and ear are always full. The sore is behind my right tonsil.  Read Full »
Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Your right sinus is full which indicates that you are suffering from right-sided sinusitis. It will create a post nasal drip and eustachian tube dysfunction. Therefore, a sore throat and a clogged ear are likely to develop. It will be better t...  Read Full »

I have ear pain when I open my mouth. What might help?
Query: Hello doctor, I am not fat, but my body gets really warm sometimes especially when I sleep, which makes me uncomfortable. So, what might be the reason?Secondly, I get pain near my left ear when I open my mouth. Three weeks ago, the pain went after four days (it started and ended when I woke up afte...  Read Full »
Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Are you suffering from an allergy? If the ear pain is arising during the opening of the mouth at ear area it may be arising from temporomandibular joint. Middle ear infection or eustachian tube block may also give rise to pain in the ear. But in your history, you di...  Read Full »

My right ear is plugged due to sinus cold. How do I unplug it?
Query: Hello doctor,I have a sinus cold for two weeks. I have taken nasal spray. Now my right ear is plugged. How do I unplug it? Currently, I am taking Bupropion , Celexa, and Naproxen.  Read Full »
Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sinus congestion or attacks of sinusitis can lead to a sensation of blocked ears as the congested sinus passages tend to block out the eustachian tube at one end. You can try steam with menthol inhalation three times a day, along with Budesonide nasal spray one puff in ...  Read Full »

How to manage cold and clogged ears?
Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from a mild cold and severe clogging of ears. I am taking Afrin spray for an hour and one pill of Sudafed. I developed a similar condition of cold and sinus infection before six months. I had severe clogging of ears. I was given Amoxicillin for five days and Prednisone 5 m...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can take Sudafed (Pseudoephedrine) once daily. Take nasal spray once daily. Avoid cold spicy foods, avoid smoking and alcohol. Avoid dust and pollution. Take some steam inhalation thrice daily.  Read Full »

Is my daughter's ear problem neurological?
Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has nerve hearing loss of around 50 % in left ear along with tinnitus since 10 years. She is 22 now. On the second of this month, she had put a drop of oil in the left ear. In finding herself uncomfortable, she visited an ENT, who put her on antibiotics for middle ear infectio...  Read Full »
Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms of your daughter seem primarily related to her ear. Though sometimes, there can be a spread of infection from ear to brain or other intracranial complication due to ear pathology. I suggest you get an MRI of the brain with contrast with MR venogram to rul...  Read Full »

How to get quick relief from cold and nasal congestion?
Query: Hi doctor,My mother is a diabetic and also hypertension patient. She is 66 years old. She is on regular diabetes and anti-hypertensive medicine. Now, she has severe cold, nasal congestion and ear congestion. Which medicine can be taken? Will Cetirizine be effective?  Read Full »
Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your concern. I suggest tablet Allegra 180 mg (Fexofenadine) twice daily for five days. One tablet is to be taken in the morning and one at night after meals. Consult her doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medici...  Read Full »

Say 'NO' to Earbuds
Article Overview: Earbuds are made up of tightly rolled cotton. If you have a practice of cleaning your ears often with cotton buds, you must read this. This habit interferes with the normal self-cleaning mechanisms of the external ear canal. Cleaning induces wax formation, and the wax needs to be cleaned as the build-up interferes with hearing. And, this becomes a vicious cycle. The ear loses its capacity to self-clean.  Read Article »
Dr. Deepthi Maringanti

The skin of the ear canal is very thin, outer layers of which, are regularly shed just like skin elsewhere. This is done by slender hair-like structures called cilia present on the surface of the external ear canal. Usually, ear canals produce a clear fluid called earwax, which is washed out of ...  Read Article »

How to overcome my speech problem?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 45 years old. Normally my speech is good, but when I am doing a television show, serials or in films my speech is blocked. I cannot throw proper dialogs as per the script. My ear gets clogged due to some breathing problems. I am feeling panic to see that many more people watch me an...  Read Full »
Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane
Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, it seems that you have speech problem due to anxiety. It is good that you do not face this problem in personal conversation. But, as an artist it is essential for you to perform in front of others. You should practice your dialogues in front of p...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Clogged Ear? We have medical experts to help you right away.