Coal Tar

Related Terms: Scalp Psoriasis, Itchy Scalp, Ketoconazole Shampoo, Psoriasis, Seborrheic Dermatitis, Anti-dandruff Shampoo, Dandruff

I have hair fall, itching and white flakes on scalp. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, For four years, I have been suffering from severe hair fall. I have also visited a hair clinic once, but their treatment is too expensive. So, I have not continued the treatment. As my earning is very low, I have never visited any good dermatologist. I have tried various products, but the...  Read Full »
Dr. Joydeep Singha

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is sebopsoriasis of the scalp (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I suggest a shampoo containing Coal tar and Salicylic acid on alternate day and keep it for 5 to 7 minutes on the hair and then wash. There is no evidence of familial type of hair loss fou...  Read Full »

How to prevent hair loss due to scalp psoriasis?
Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from scalp psoriasis. I have yellow flakes appearing predominantly on the frontal and middle portion of the scalp. After shampooing, it is accompanied by hair loss. What can I do to prevent flaking and to reduce my hair fall? I am using Ketocare shampoo with Topisol 6 % lo...  Read Full »
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would recommend you use Salytor shampoo (Coal tar with Salicylic acid) twice weekly and continue with Topisol 6 % lotion (Clobetasol with Salicylic acid). If it is associated with it...  Read Full »

When I try to remove the flakes on my scalp, there is bleeding and crusting. Why?
Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from two major problems from the past three years.Acne and marks.Sticky oily dandruff.Scalp flakes do not get dislodged even after shampooing. I have to dig my comb into the scalp to remove the flakes which lead to bleeding in certain areas and forms crusts. I have opted ...  Read Full »
Dr. Shaunak Patel

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have been following all the right advice. Continue the same for the face. As for the scalp, I think since it does not get resolved with antidandruff medication and there is crusting involved, my diagnosis would go in favor of scalp psoriasis. However, I cannot g...  Read Full »

Apart from getting injections, what treatments are available for seborrheic dermatitis?
Query: Hello doctor, Eight years ago, a car wreck shattered the windshield, and my head got injured with pieces of glass. They did not take the glass out, and I have also been dying my hair since I was 16. I developed fibromyalgia from the wreck, which is supposed to be relatively non-progressive, however ...  Read Full »
Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The diagnosis from your history would still be seborrheic dermatitis or sebopsoriasis or scalp psoriasis. This is more of a cyclical problem, it tends to curb down with 2 to 3 months of treatment, but recurring back with a change in season or lifestyle. However, it n...  Read Full »

General Management of Difficult Psoriasis
Article Overview: Here, I have discussed about the general management of difficult psoriasis and the prevention of its exacerbation.  Read Article »

Psoriasis is a chronic genetically influenced immunologically based inflammatory disease of skin and joints. A majority of patients can be managed with topical coal tar, Dithranol and corticosteroids. However, psoriasis has a tendency to recur and may become worse. Moderate to severe psoriasis defin ...  Read Article »

Why Is Food Adulteration Harmful for Children?
Article Overview: Food adulteration is the process in which quality of food is lowered by either substituting a particular ingredient with another ingredient or addition of another substance. It may be done by the manufacturer, retailer or distributor for profit reasons.  Read Article »
Dr. Krystel Quadros
Wellness Medicine Specialist

Did you realize what effect food adulteration would have on children's health? Well, food adulteration affects a large arena of society, especially children and teens who, due to lack of awareness, consume adulterated foods like soft drinks with added artificial colors which may lead to various har ...  Read Article »

Palmoplantar Keratoderma - Causes and Treatment
Article Overview: This article discusses the general aspects of the commonly occurring skin disorder, palmoplantar keratoderma.  Read Article »

Palmoplantar keratoderma is a commonly encountered problem in day to day practice. This disease presents as a distressing thickened skin with fissured pattern, intermingled with recurrent eczema like flare up. Causes: The causes could be either. Exogenous or external factors like irritants, all ...  Read Article »

Psoriasis - Symptoms, Types, and Treatment
Article Overview: Psoriasis is an inflammatory skin disease characterized by red and scaly lesions on the body, more commonly over the extensor surfaces of the body.  Read Article »
Dr. Rabia

Psoriasis is an inflammatory skin disease characterized by red and scaly lesions on the body, more commonly over the extensor surfaces of the body. Psoriasis is a multifactorial disease, meaning its exact cause is not known, but it is influenced by factors such as environment, genes, and infections. ...  Read Article »

Do You Have Difficulty in Dealing with Dandruff?
Article Overview: This article gives a description of how to deal with dandruff.  Read Article »
Dr. Vinay Kumar

Dandruff is a condition of the scalp and hairs, in which dry, white flakes tend to accumulate and show up on the scalp and the hairs. Facts About Dandruff: Dandruff can only be controlled but complete cure is as yet not available. The aim of preventive measures is to minimize the likelihood of d ...  Read Article »

Seborrheic Dermatitis - the Most Common Scalp Condition
Article Overview: This article discusses the clinical presentation, diagnosis and management of seborrheic dermatitis in both infants and adults.  Read Article »

Seborrheic dermatitis is a papulosquamous disorder with an inflammatory component. It is characterized by well-defined erythema and accompanied by overlying greasy scales. Seborrheic dermatitis will be seen over areas rich in sebum namely scalp, eyebrows, center of the face, eyelids, around and in t ...  Read Article »

Do you have a question on Coal Tar? We have medical experts to help you right away.