Diverticulitis

Related Terms: Diverticulosis, Colonoscopy, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Stomach Pain, Gastritis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Ciprofloxacin

Diverticulitis: Causes, Clinical Features, Investigations, and Treatment
Article Overview: Diverticulitis is the inflammation of the diverticuli. Diverticuli is the abnormal outpouching of the large intestine wall. A patient in this condition can present with abdominal pain, fever, and diarrhea. Few can remain asymptomatic as well. Treatment depends upon the severity.  Read Article »

Inflammation of the outpouched part of the large intestinal wall, that is, inflammation of the diverticuli. Causes The exact cause is not clearly understood, but risk factors are as follows: Obesity. Smoking. Sedentary lifestyle. Less fiber in the diet. Fried non-vegetarian diet. Clinica ...  Read Article »

Can diverticulitis lead to colon cancer?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been having lower left pelvic pain, so I got a CT scan of the abdomen done. I was diagnosed with mild diverticulitis and diverticulosis. The doctor gave me Flagyl and Cipro. Is it serious? Can this lead to colon cancer? I am very scared. How can you tell that it is diverticuliti...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry, diverticulosis is a common condition, and most patients remain asymptomatic or have mild symptoms. The risk associated with this condition are diverticulitis, which is an infection of the diverticulum pouches, and risk of bleeding. Approximately 75 to 80...  Read Full »

Why do I have blood in stool?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21-year-old male, and I was suffering from inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) before a year. After taking medications, my condition got better. So I stopped taking medicines, and I took Pantop-D (Pantoprazole) only for the gas relief. Before a month, I developed a fungal infection i...  Read Full »
Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two causes for the blood in the stool. The reason can be due to infection and reactivation of inflammatory bowel disease. In such condition, we should treat the infection first. The common infection seen is bacterial, sometimes viral infection may also occur l...  Read Full »

I experience very severe pain. Is it due to diverticulitis?
Query: Hi doctor, I have been prescribed Mirtazapine 15 mg for reducing my depression associated with my condition. In most of my adult life, I suffered from IBS symptoms. I rarely drink alcohol. I eat fish and seafood. But no other meat is taken in my diet now. In the past five years, my problems have ma...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). They are related to IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) Mixed type. IBS is of three types:1. Diarrhea-predominant.2. Constipation-predominant.3. Mixed variety. IBS is treated as follows: ...  Read Full »

How can pain on the left side of stomach be alleviated?
Query: Hello doctor, There is a pain on the left side of stomach and lower back and the skin feels sore. There is also burping a lot these days now. Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your symptoms, it seems you are suffering from diverticulitis. The differential diagnosis is urinary tract infection. This can occur in elderly frequently in people who do not eat enough fibers in their diet. Also with age, our digestive system tends to get slow. ...  Read Full »

I have a harsh pain in the left side of lower abdomen. What is the cause?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a female aged 50. I have awful pain in the lower abdomen for four days. I have a pain in the right arm and the left side of lower abdomen. My abdomen is bloated and sore. My bowels are moving. I gave up Seroquel a few weeks ago. I have IBS and diverticulitis.  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. You have underlying IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), diverticulitis and you are possibly in perimenopausal period. Your predominant complaint is left lower abdominal pain which could either be because of diverticulitis or due to a kidney st...  Read Full »

What is the dosage of Pentasa for bowel problem?
Query: Hello doctor, I have a problem in my bowel since more than one month, so I had a colonoscopy with biopsy. The doctor informed me that I have mild inflammation and colitis. The doctor gave me two medications, Pentasa 500 and Tarivid 200. I used Pentasa 500 for three weeks, and I become recovered almo...  Read Full »
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.I have seen the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).You have diverticulitis and mild colitis. That is why you should use antibiotics like Tarivid (Ofloxacin) 200 mg. Diverticulitis explains your symptoms like diarrhea and stomach pain.With r...  Read Full »

What is the reason for stomach pain and blood in stools?
Query: Hi doctor, For several years my father is suffering from stomach pain. His problem includes blood in stool and pain in left side abdomen area. He has taken ayurveda, homeopathy as well as allopathy medicines, but nothing has benefitted. We did test like endoscopy, but some doctors said it is due to ...  Read Full »
Dr. Nageswara Rao
Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With your symptoms, there is a possibility of: Colitis, which may be due to inflammatory (inflammatory bowel disease) or infections. Diverticulitis. Malignancy has to be ruled out. Piles (hemorrhoids) may be there. Stool examination for microscopy and ...  Read Full »

I am having left lower abdomen pain when I move or stretch. What could it be?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old male. I have gas problem for the past three days. Since day before yesterday night, I have started to experience some pain in the left lower abdomen whenever I stretch or move. The pain is very dull and present whenever there is a movement. Please suggest what it could...  Read Full »
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pain in the left lower abdomen is usually related to the digestive tract. Pain in that area worsens on moving may be due to diverticulitis. So, you need to go to the hospital to have an ultrasound done to make sure if you have diverticulitis or not. Then, take antibiotics...  Read Full »

Kindly help me get rid of my stomach problem.
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old female. Before 10 months, I got left side abdominal pain with mild fever. I went to the ER. After blood tests and CT scan, they said it as diverticulitis. After using antibiotics, it got cleared. Every couple of months I feel pain when I press my abdomen but no fever. W...  Read Full »
Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Diverticula are the tiny bulges that are formed from the colonic wall and this condition is named diverticulosis. Blockade or infection or inflammation leads to diverticulitis. It will be associated with abdominal pain, altered bowel habits, occasional bleedin...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Diverticulitis? We have medical experts to help you right away.