Dog Bite

Related Terms: Rabies Vaccine, Rabies, Anti-rabies Vaccine, Rabies Immunoglobulin, Rabies Contact Category, Tetanus Injection, Fear Of Rabies

Vaccinated dog bite my daughter. Is anti-rabies vaccine needed?
Query: Dear Doctor, My daughter is 5 years old. A vaccinated dog scratched her right hand with its teeth. There is no skin damage but deep red mark is visible. Is anti-rabies vaccine optional or compulsory for her?  Read Full »
Dr. E Venkata Ramana
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on icliniq.com. Let me explain the seriousness of the deep red marks simply : Visible deep red marks could mean a very small wound but it is still a large door for rabies virus to enter. If rabies has once developed, then it has no treatment. Prevention by anti-rabie...  Read Full »

A pet dog bit me three years back. Can I take anti-rabies vaccine now?
Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old male. Three years ago, a dog slightly bit my hand. The dog died 1.5 years after he bit me. It has been three years now, but I am worried as I heard that rabies appears after years. I did not take any medicine then. I ignored it because it was a pet dog. If I take anti...  Read Full »
Dr. Ehsan Samarbafzadeh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your worry with this situation as rabies is considered dangerous. The good news is that the dog that bit you probably did not have rabies as the progression of this disease is fast in dogs. If a rabid dog bites you, it will die in weeks. As you mentioned t...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for dog bite injury?
Query: Hi doctor, My problem is dog bite with some pain. I am currently on antirabies medication. I am a 15 year old male. My weight is 38 kg and height is 5 feet.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should clean the wound with soap and water. Get the dressing done from a local doctor with Betadine solution followed by application of Mupirocin ointment. The dressing should be changed daily till healing. You should have antirabies vaccination on day 0, 3, 7, 14...  Read Full »

What precautions should be taken for dog bite?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been bitten by a dog which is regularly vaccinated. So, what precautions should I take? Can you please let me know the diet for food or something else, please.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query and here is my advise. You have been bitten by a dog, so tetanus toxoid and rabies vaccine can be taken for that to prevent tetanus and rabies. But as you said if you are sure that dog is fully immunized with rabies then no need to take the...  Read Full »

Is there any diet restriction following dog bite?
Query: Hi doctor, I was bitten by a house Siberian Husky. The pup is 8 months old and is not vaccinated for rabies. I used to visit it everyday. It is normal and drink water. I was given only tetanus as I am allergic to the antirabies vaccine which was administered and discovered 10 years ago when I had a ...  Read Full »
Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are no dietary restrictions following a dog bite and you can eat whatever you like to have. Also, let me share a few facts after dog bite:- A 10 days quarantine for the dog that has bitten is generally followed. If the dog during this period if devel...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get an injection for a dog bite?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. I was playing with my friend's dog yesterday. By mistake, the dog's teeth touched my hand, and a little drop of blood came out. Do I did need an injection?  Read Full »
Dr. Albana Greca
Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your friend has done a vaccination to the dog, then there is no problem. Keep the bitten site clean, wash with warm water and soap. Apply Oxygenated water and Betadine (Povidone Iodine) locally. You can take them over the counter, and there is no need for a prescript...  Read Full »

Is vaccination needed for a non-rabies dog bite?
Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 3 years old and has been bitten by a pet dog. The dog would not bite if not touched. It has been in our home for 10 years. It stays always at home. The dog does not have rabies. The dog is a Pomeranian breed.  The wound is not very deep but a slight cut on the upper ...  Read Full »
Dr. Deepak Patel
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Any bite from a dog needs a vaccination for rabies. If the cut is not very deep, it will fall under grade 1 of dog bites and it will definitely need antirabies vaccination and tetanus vaccination. In grade 1 bites, antirabies immunoglobin is not needed but vaccine sh...  Read Full »

Is it a must to report to hospital immediately after a dog bite?
Query: Hi doctor, A dog bit me hard in my leg. I had a lot of blood flowing from my wound. I cleaned the wound with disinfectant for 20 minutes. Now the blood flow has stopped. I have done preexposure prophylaxis before three months for safety. Do I have to go to the hospital immediately?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should go to the hospital soon and begin post-exposure prophylaxis as early as possible. It is better to have rabies immunoglobulin injection soon. You should clean the wound with soap and water. Get a dressing from the doctor with a Betadine solution (Povidone-Iodi...  Read Full »

Is it possible to get rabies years after dog bite?
Query: Hello doctor, A dog had bit me in my finger eight years back. At that time I did not take any vaccine or treatment. Is it possible that I can get affected with rabies in the future? What is the diagnosis system of rabies? If I get diagnosed with rabies then what I have to do?  Read Full »
Dr. Ambadi Kumar
Wellness Medicine Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No need to get panicky over the dog bite. You are fine. Rabies testing on humans is performed on samples of saliva, serum. Saliva can be tested by virus isolation or reverse transcription followed by polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR). Serum and spinal fluid are test...  Read Full »

I am having inflammation on face after a dog bite. Do I need vaccination?
Query: Hello doctor,40 days back while I was walking on the road and unaware of a sleeping dog beside me I stepped on it and it had bitten me. After, reaching my home after 15 minutes I washed my leg and I have not found any blood wound but firing type feeling was there and later I met one physician doctor...  Read Full »
Dr. Tamas Das
Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your history, it seems like the dog just brushed against your leg. If so, then it is a category 1 wound and requires no vaccination other than local wound cleaning with soap and water. However, if there was a visible scratch (even without bleeding) then it is categ...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Dog Bite? We have medical experts to help you right away.