Drug Dependence

Related Terms: Anxiety, Clonazepam, Depression, Sleep Disturbances, Ssri, Anti Anxiety Drugs, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Drug Addiction

Drug Addiction: Why Does It Occur and What Can We Do About It?
Article Overview: This article discusses the pathological basis of addiction and evidence-based treatment approaches.  Read Article »
Dr. Alok Vinod Kulkarni

Drug dependence is on the rise and is viewed as the new age epidemic. Drug Dependence, a Disorder of the Brain Circuitry: A host of brain areas (multiple brain circuits) are involved in the genesis of addiction. But, the nucleus accumbens is the most often studied target. This brain structure is i ...  Read Article »

What are the long-term side effects of Mirtazapine taken for insomnia?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 44 years old and have generalized anxiety and insomnia. I never had anxiety in life but it all happened after I was diagnosed with high BP. Currently, I am taking Mirtazapine 7.5 mg since last four months. It makes me sleep but the quality of sleep is very bad. I did not take up ...  Read Full »
Dr. Bharat Udey
Geriatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly let me clear the fact, Mirtazapine is a newer antidepressant which causes sedation as its side-effect. So it is primarily used for the treatment of depressive symptoms but it can benefit in sleep as well if the patient complains of reduced sleep. As such M...  Read Full »

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): Reliving the Trauma
Article Overview: PTSD is a mental health condition where the person who undergoes an extremely stressful condition, develops disturbing thoughts and emotions such as being frantic, panic-stricken, and distraught for a very long time after the incident.  Read Article »
Dr. Vasantha K S
Psychologist Counsellor

Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a type of anxiety disorder, which is triggered after encountering traumatic events in one's life. However, not everyone who undergoes a negative experience has PTSD. Also, it may settle by itself in some with the help of one's natural coping mechanism. In oth ...  Read Article »

How to stop Heroin safely during pregnancy?
Query: Hi doctor, My niece is pregnant and taking Subutex. She just confided to me that she has also been using Heroin, along with Subutex for the last one month. She is afraid to ask her primary care doctor for advice. Her doctor told us in the beginning that it is more harmful to the fetus if the mother ...  Read Full »
Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please ask her to stop taking Heroin over a due course of time by tapering the dose. Tapering the dose gives her minimum side effects, easy to withdraw, cope up with symptoms and less harm to the baby, rather than suddenly withdrawing Heroin, which may increase withdrawal...  Read Full »

I am reluctant to take medicine for insomnia. Please help.
Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from insomnia for the past one year. I do get sleep, but around 1 or 2 AM, I used wake up and unable to sleep again. I am 30 years old. I am a married female and have a kid aged 3 years. I am a dentist and now, I am in stem cell research. I do not have any other health prob...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have late insomnia. If there is any associated anxiety or depression, then that should be evaluated properly. Kindly visit a psychiatrist in person. For insomnia, drugs like Amitriptyline or Mirtazapine or Trazodone can be used. These are antidepressant drugs, but ha...  Read Full »

Why does Fluoxetine cause insignificant insomnia?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a medical graduate having trouble in sleeping. My psychiatrist told it is a panic disorder. First she gave me Escitalopram 10 mg for which I got akathisia, severe irritability and sleeplessness got aggravated. She later changed it to Fludac 20 mg in the morning at 8 AM. I did not ...  Read Full »
Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fluoxetine is known to cause significant insomnia in many patients as it is an activating drug. Even if it is taken early morning, it can still cause insomnia, particularly in the initial few days or weeks. My advice would be if you are doing well on Fluoxetine, apart ...  Read Full »

Please suggest some good medicine for recurring insomnia.
Query: Hi doctor, I have been having recurring insomnia now and then. In a month at least five to eight days I have no proper sleep and it is hampering my day to day activities. I lack interest. I am under stress and my mind feels foggy. I am on Escitalopram 10 mg. Please suggest me some good medicine whic...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. A lot of individuals have recurring insomnia and sometimes they suffer from nonrefreshing sleep. In some individuals depression also aggravates insomnia and thus worsens the symptoms. For depression with insomnia drugs like tablet Mirtazapin...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for my increased erratic heart palpitations?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 44-year-old female with heart issues and a family history of heart attacks and heart aneurysm. I have hypertension and am I have been treated with Norvasc 5 mg and Metoprolol 25 mg in the morning and 12.5 mg in the evening. I also have PVCs, PACs, and occasional S...  Read Full »
Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cause of your palpitations seems to be from the use of GABA (gamma-Aminobutyric acid). One of the side effects of GABA is anxiety and anxiety is a big cause of palpitations. This is why the Holter monitor is not showing anything to indicate a problem. In the c...  Read Full »

Why people abuse alcohol or other substances of abuse?
Article Overview: Why people take drugs in spite of various adverse outcomes including death? Drug abuse, misuse, and dependence are major issues in society because of their enormous personal, social, and economic costs  Read Article »

Drug abuse, misuse, and dependence are major issues in society because of their enormous personal, social, and economic costs. Many drug treatment units are run by psychiatrists, and the research strongly supports the notion that a significant proportion of severe drug abusers are psychiatrically il ...  Read Article »

The Seven Deadly Health Sins
Article Overview: This article talks about the common health mistakes we all make every day and how to avoid them and stay healthy.  Read Article »
Dr. Nikhil Aggarwal
Preventive Medicine Physician

1. Lack of Physical Activity Linked to obesity, dyslipidemia, and laziness. Walk for a minimum of 30 minutes a day. 2. Lack of Proper Diet Predisposed to dyslipidemia, hypertension, diabetes, heart diseases, obesity and much more. 'What is not cooked in your kitchen is not food.' ...  Read Article »

Do you have a question on Drug Dependence? We have medical experts to help you right away.