Electromyogram

Related Terms: Nerve Conduction Studies, Emg, Nerve Conduction Velocity, Radiculopathy, Headache, Cervical Radiculopathy, Gabapentin

I have muscle weakness and mild pain on the forearm and hip. What could this be?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41 year old male. My creatine phosphokinase is mildly elevated. The reports came as 220 twice and as normal thrice. And, there was hemoglobin in my urine test. I constantly have muscle weakness and mild pain on my left side, at the forearm and hip. The weakness started suddenly...  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, I read your query and understand your concerns about muscle weakness and raised muscle enzymes. The probable diagnosis is polymyositis. People with polymyositis have: A weakness of muscles of the thigh, gluteal muscles, and shoulder girdle. Raised CPK (creatine phosphokinase) and LDH (lactate...  Read Full »

I am a young mother constantly having tiredness, body pain and headache. Please guide me.
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old female. I am a mother of a 3 year old boy. I have been feeling tiredness, body pain and headache for the last one month. My pre-pregnancy weight was 58 kg. Now I weigh 66 kg. Am I facing these issues due to my weight? Also, I went for a blood test recently. Most of the...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is no significant abnormality present in the reports. All the values are within limits. Diabetes, thyroid problem and anemia can be excluded from these reports. Here are a few poss...  Read Full »

Can thumb twitching be a sign of cervical disc herniation worsening?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old female with asthma. I have cervical disc herniation for 10 years. Over the past 5 months, symptoms were back with tingling, weakness and shooting pain in arms. I tried medications like Celebrex, Lyrica and also massage, physiotherapy, chiropractor and acupuncture, b...  Read Full »
Dr. Tony Magana
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A herniated disc in the neck can cause three potential problems: Injury and degeneration of the disc can cause neck pain that is not related to nerve problems, and this is not usually a need for surgery. If the disc and bone spurring that form for long-standing prob...  Read Full »

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Article Overview: Have you ever noticed weakness, numbness or tingling in your hands or wrist? These symptoms may be due to a common condition called carpal tunnel syndrome.  Read Article »
Dr. Divya Banu M

Have you ever noticed weakness, numbness or tingling in your hands or wrist? These symptoms may be due to a common condition called carpal tunnel syndrome. Overview of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome This is a nerve disorder affecting the strength and sensations in hand and wrist, caused by pressure on the ...  Read Article »

What causes dull headache that does not shift?
Query: Hello doctor, Three weeks ago, I had headache in late night. I managed to sleep, but it was still there in the morning. It was unilateral headache on the left side of my head. Pain is in my temporal area which sometimes radiates across my cheek and even down my jaw, as well as on the top left of my...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. My main concern here would be trigeminal cephalgia, the most common being trigeminal neuralgia. Trigeminal neuralgia is a sharp shooting unilateral headache that becomes extremely worse with nerve irritation that could be caused by shaving, brushing (hair or teeth...  Read Full »

When is Surgery Necessary for Neck or Low Back Pain?
Article Overview: It is important for patients to understand the probability that surgery for neck or low back pain will improve their lives.  Read Article »
Dr. Tony Magana
Spine Health Specialist

Over the past twenty years, spinal surgery for painful conditions of the neck and low back has become much more common and sophisticated. Surgery for low back and neck problems is often expensive, exposes the patient to the risks of complications, and requires time for recuperation. While many patie ...  Read Article »

Is ALS the only reason for continuous twitching?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. For the last three days, I have noticed continuous twitches on the thenar aspect of my right palm. Today, I searched on the internet and it showed it could be ALS. I am worried. Also, I noticed that my right thenar prominence is a little less than the left. I do...  Read Full »
Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not think this to be ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). ALS will have little more extensive twitches and at times they are visible on the muscle surface and a number of muscles having the flaccid type of weakness. Fasciculation only for three days without any weak...  Read Full »

I have continuous twitches throughout the day. What could this be?
Query: Hi doctor, My calves have been twitching throughout the day for about two months now. But, I do not have any weakness. It occurs in different spots on both calves. What could this be?  Read Full »
Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know a few more things. Is there any change in your weight in the last two months? Did you observe any change in your lifestyle in the last last months? Did you start any exertion during this period? 90% of the normal population experience muscle twitches,...  Read Full »

Following cervical surgery, my thumb went completely numb. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, I had an MRI last year, which indicated a herniated disc and stenosis at C6-C7 left. So, I had cervical surgery ACDF. Still, l had pain for a couple of months and the MRI showed to my dismay that I still had stenosis with displacement of the C7 nerve root. Also, it showed that C5-C6 protr...  Read Full »
Dr. Tony Magana
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sometimes it can take time for radiculopathy to improve even up to a year. If your neurological function is getting worse then a repeat MRI would be advisable. If the symptoms are the same and your neurological examination is not worse then you can wait before repeating a...  Read Full »

Are my symptoms normally seen in peroneal neuropathy?
Query: Hi doctor, I got peroneal neuropathy after bariatric surgery. I have lost 97 lbs in the last six months, and all of a sudden, I was diagnosed with peroneal neuropathy in my right leg. My right leg was numb from the knee down all through my toes, but now the numbness has subsided and only my big toe ...  Read Full »
Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Foot drop and impaired sensation on the outer side of the leg below the knee is possible by common peroneal neuropathy. But same can also happen by the involvement of partial sciatic nerve involvement or lumbar plexus involvement or the involvement of roots coming...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Electromyogram? We have medical experts to help you right away.