Esr

Related Terms: Complete Blood Count, Crp, High Esr, Fever, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Chest X- Ray, Physiotherapy

My ESR is too high. Do you think I have multiple myeloma?
Query: Hi doctor, My ESR is too high that is 25 mm/hr. Granulocytes % is high and lymphocytes % is low. The main thing is the RDW is low. I am having too much body pain and leg pain in my body. Even pain-killers not working at all. Too much pain. I am having trouble to move my arms and legs when I wake up...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The chronic whole body pain does not necessarily mean leukemia. Your CBC report is within limits as attached herewith (attachment removed to protect patient identity). For your condition, your physical examination first should be done in the form of liver, spleen and...  Read Full »

Does elevated ESR cause any infections?
Query: Hi doctor, I used to do CBC test before each time when I go for a travel and this time also, I did the same. Can anyone please tell me if these reports are fine? Or if I am suffering from any disease as some values are out of range. I am taking tablet Telday 40 mg in the evening for the blood press...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and everything is fine except ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) which is slightly elevated, but it is acceptable to have it. Did you have a recent fever, or any other symptoms of infectio...  Read Full »

The monocytes and ESR values in my wife's hemogram report are abnormal. Why?
Query: Hello doctor, Me and my wife got an annual blood test done. Few of my wife's results are off the radar. She is 30 years old, and she had a mild cough when the tests were done. She becomes tired very easily. In the attached hemogram report, her monocytes are 0 and ESR is 80. Rest of the tests inc...  Read Full »
Dr. Rahul Rathee
General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern, but after a detailed evaluation of your wife's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I would say there is nothing to worry. Only monocytes levels are low, it does not mean much. It does not cause anything serious if ...  Read Full »

My blood report shows ESR count 34 and Hb 10.9. Is there any problem?
Query: Hi doctor,Two months back blood report shows ESR count is 34. And Hb 10.9. I also have fever fluctuating and have lost weight drastically around 4 kg in a few months. Can you please help and tell me what is the problem?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For low hemoglobin further workup needed in form of peripheral smear examination, serum ferritin estimation, and serum TIBC (total iron binding capacity) estimation to classify your anemia. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) can be high because of any non-specific ...  Read Full »

Can there be high ESR level while having cough and fever?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 48 years old. My recent blood report shows high ESR level. I am having cough and fever in the evening. Doctor told me that I am having bronchitis and has given me antibiotics as well as cough syrup. I am sending you my x-ray and blood test report for verification. Please guide.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity). Based on your reports, I do not think you have bronchitis or it may be in its initial stage where chest x-ray may be clear. But, I would like to keep it as throat infection in differential diag...  Read Full »

Can a viral infection increase the ESR level?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old male. My recent blood report shows high ESR level (48 mm/hr). I am having a cough, fever, and a headache since eight days. The doctor told me that I have a viral infection, and has given me antibiotics and a cough syrup. Please guide.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the history, you have an upper respiratory tract infection. You need to do the following investigations. Physical examination. Auscultation. CBC (complete blood count). Throat swab for culture or ASO (antistreptolysin O) titer. If auscultation is suspicious, ...  Read Full »

Why is ESR raising in a patient with AIH?
Query: Hello doctor, Thought to have likely acute AIH for the past eight months. Currently, being treated with Prednisolone 8 mg to go to 5 mg and Azathioprine 50 much. My ALT/AST are within normal range last two months coming down from almost 2000. ESR has been steadily rising since past five months, com...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In general, ESR is a very non-specific marker. It has no significance in isolation. However, in countries where tuberculosis is predominant, we always consider it while a person is on immunosuppressive drugs. So you can ask your doctor for a chest X-ray. It is however n...  Read Full »

What is the reson for high Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR)?
Query: Hi doctor, My father is 72 years old. His ESR is 102. All kidney, liver and hemoglobin are in the range along with clear chest x-ray. Recently, he had right ribs and collar bone fracture. Also, he was diagnosed to have hemopneumothorax and chest tube was given for that. What may be the possible cau...  Read Full »
Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the details posted. ESR is an acute phase reactant (erythrocyte sedimentation reaction). It suggests that there is something is going on inside body, but it does not localize the problem. Any infection, inflammation or low hemoglobin can cause...  Read Full »

Why is there a rise in my ESR values?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41-year-old female with no health problems as such. For the last six months, I am having ESR values of 61 then 82 and then again 61. My ESR was in 60 even two years ago. My physician prescribed me multivitamins. Now I have got my 12-year-old daughter who hit her puberty last ye...  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most common cause of raised ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) in females is low hemoglobin. For every 1 g decrease in hemoglobin below 13 g, the ESR will rise by about 5. ESR has no significance unless the person has underlying inflammation. You need to men...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for recurrent fever with high ESR and CRP levels?
Query: Hi doctor, I am getting a fever every day. But, every day the fever occurs and goes to a maximum of 100 degrees, and it gets back to the body temperature without any medications. It is repetitive. I have done a few blood tests and am attaching the reports. I have found out that my CRP and ESR is ver...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is likely a viral fever only as it settles within four to five days. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP (C-reactive protein) are usually elevated due to viral fever or any other fever. As it gets recovered within four to five days without any antibiotics, ...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Esr? We have medical experts to help you right away.