Facial Nerve Damage

Related Terms: Bell's Palsy, Facial Nerve Electrical Stimulation, Sinusitis, Stroke, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Appetite Changes, Brain Lesion

Why do my facial muscles change shape when I am under stress?
Query: Hello doctor, I never bothered to worry about this before but someone said I should see a doctor about this. The problem I have is that my facial muscles seem to always change shape when I am under stress. I remember someone once telling me he knew what was wrong with me. He said my face needs to b...  Read Full »
Dr. Lohit Chauhan
General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is very strange if your facial muscles tend to change shape on daily basis. I know of a few conditions in which facial flushing (redness) can occur due to increased blood flow, but the change in facial musculature with food intake or under stress is not a common t...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest if my father needs operation for the lump under his ear.
Query: Hi doctor, About a month ago, my father found a lump under his ear. On consultation, the doctors suggested for a few tests. From the test results, they suggested for an operation to remove that lump. But, there may be some risk involved in the operation like paralysis in any part of face (ear, nose ...  Read Full »
Dr. Deepak Verma

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all your father's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which are suggestive of parotid tumor. The treatment of choice for such lesion is surgery (superficial parotidectomy), which definitely carries a risk of damage to the facial nerve tha...  Read Full »

Is there any nerve regeneration treatment for Bell's palsy?
Query: Hi doctor, I have been diagnosed with Bell's palsy before 10 days. Half of my facial muscles are not working. I had swelling of the salivary gland near the ear before this issue. The MRI brain scan did not show stroke. Currently, I am on Prednisone and Valtrex. Is there any nerve regeneration treatm...  Read Full »
Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your symptoms and your question. All your symptoms, including the weakness of the facial muscles and taste issues are because of facial nerve dysfunction. It is a good thing that your MRI is normal. The treatment that you have been prescribed is also proper, ...  Read Full »

Please help me understand the outcome of my brain tumor surgery.
Query: Hi doctor, Three months back, I had CyberKnife surgery for a brain tumor. Today, I had my MRI again. I want to know the report. Please explain.  Read Full »
Dr. Uphar Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The MRI brain showed that the mass is pressing the fifth cranial nerve, which takes the sensations from the face to the brain. The good news is that the vital cavernous sinus is not compressed and hence the mass is resectable. Please send me the full image and the report ...  Read Full »

Are altered taste and less saliva production related to Bell's palsy?
Query: Hi doctor, I have followed your advice regarding back pain. My pain is minimal, and I am still continuing with the exercise. Now, I have another problem. My appetite has become very poor, and I cannot eat most of the things I used to eat before. This became an issue even before the Bell's palsy prob...  Read Full »
Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your symptoms in detail. Both altered taste and less saliva are actually because of your Bell's palsy. As you know, Bell's palsy affects the facial nerve. Facial nerve function includes taste perception as well as 50% of saliva production. The altered or me...  Read Full »

Bell’s Palsy
Article Overview: Bell’s palsy, also known as facial palsy, is a condition that causes sudden and temporary weakness or paralysis of the facial muscles, which results in an inability to control the muscles on the affected side of the face.  Read Article »
Dr. K Sneha

What Is Bell’s Palsy? Bell’s palsy, also known as facial palsy, is a condition that causes sudden and temporary weakness or paralysis of the facial muscles, which results in an inability to control the muscles on the affected side of the face. The affected side of the face droops or bec ...  Read Article »

What are the risks involved in a jaw setback surgery?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 18 year old female. I was 13 years old when I got my braces. My orthodontist made it in such a way that the lower set of teeth were slanting inwards so that my upper row could be in front. I do not have trouble chewing. I want a jaw setback surgery as I find my face structure v...  Read Full »
Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you can undergo surgery to reduce the lower jaw, i.e., mandible by around 5 mm or so if needed. It is only a slight difference. The advantage is a slight increase in aesthetics later on probably. Some disadvantage is always present like you said, i.e., nerve damage...  Read Full »

My eye looks drooped even after surgery for orbital floor fracture. When will it be fine?
Query: Hello doctor, I had got assaulted last year. I got kicked in the face and due to this two weeks after my injury, I had to have a tripod put on the left side of my face. Two weeks after that my eye was drooped and had to have the floor of my eye orbital replaced. The surgeon said my eye was pushed b...  Read Full »
Dr. Sitaramaraju Naga Venkata Satya Maruti Mudunuri
General Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query. I will attempt to answer individual parts of your query separately to maintain clarity. Starting with appearance, yes it is a gradual process of normalization and it will get better with time. First-year produces most of that improvem...  Read Full »

I have a static sound in my ears after I was exposed to a gunshot noise. Kindly advise.
Query: Hello doctor, I was exposed to a loud noise (gunshot). Since then, I have a static noise in my ears when it is really quiet, and I get a pressure at the back of my head that often turns into a headache. Sometimes, I also get a tone in my right ear. If I do some physical activity, I may have dizzine...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Like you said, the tests are normal. But still, you suffer from a ringing noise inside the ear which is more in quiet surroundings. Physical activity causes dizziness and there is someti...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Facial Nerve Damage? We have medical experts to help you right away.