Formula Feeding

Related Terms: Breast Feeding, Breast Milk, Baby Care, Benefits Of Breastfeeding, Food For Baby, Baby Normal Behavior, Bottle Feeding

How to identify the cause for skin allergy in a child?
Query: Hi doctor, My daughter was born 6 months ago with a weight of 2.9 kg. Her current weight is approximately 8 kg now. From 3rd month of her age, she has got skin problem. We started formula feeding along with breastfeeding at that time. She got skin redness and some sort of problem in her cheek. We h...  Read Full »
Dr. Sirisha
Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). By what you are telling it is looking like allergic skin disorder. This can be due to anything being applied on her skin, sometimes due to cow's milk allergy, etc. Does your child have fever or an...  Read Full »

Our baby seems to have continuous weight loss. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, Our baby is 2 weeks 1 day old. Her weight at birth was 3.2 kg, after 1 week it was 2.9 kg and today it is 2.6 kg. She seems to have continuous weight loss. We are really worried. She has been completely breastfed. She used to have 3 to 4 wet diapers during daytime and 2 to 3 wet diap...  Read Full »
Dr. Sirisha
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. To begin with, 3.2 kg at birth is good weight for your baby. Being exclusively breastfed is beneficial for the baby in many ways, nutritionally better and immunity boosting when compared with formula milk. Usually babies lose 10% of their birth weight in the first week o...  Read Full »

My 18 weeks old baby is becoming irritable, crying, and biting her hands. Could this be teething?
Query: Hello doctor,My 18 weeks old baby appears to have less interest in her bottles. She is only drinking approximately 20 to 24 ounces of milk instead of the recommended 30 to 35. She has become more irritable, crying, biting her hands and tethers. When I give her a bottle, she drinks a few ounces then ...  Read Full »
Dr. Laurent Hiffler
Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your feelings and preoccupations. I might have to ask you a few more questions but here are some attempts to give you a beginning of an answer. Well, I would be dishonest if I would send you the miracle answer. But let us try together. What was your little...  Read Full »

My 5 months old baby often cries due to gas problem. Please help.
Query: Hi doctor,My baby has just completed 5 months. We are giving her formula milk since my wife had less milk. She has constant problems with gas. I have given her Colicaid before a feed and burp her 15 to 20 minutes after every feed and gas gets released as well. Even after that, she cries due to gas p...  Read Full »
Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your history, this is an absolutely normal phenomenon in this age group. The child will pass gas like a big person. Do not worry. Regarding the use of Colicaid (Simethicone), it is an absolutely safe medicine. Please stick to it only when necessary. Also, you c...  Read Full »

Can reduced feeding help cure 'pain while passing motions' in an infant?
Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is one month old. Her birth weight was 3.6 kg. After 15 days, she weighed 3.8 and then later she weighed 4.2 kg. Now, her current weight is 4.35 kg. She seems to pass drop by drop motion of about 15 to 20 times a day and she has some sharp pain followed by some intermitten...  Read Full »
Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the lab reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You need not worry. This is common in children of this age group. You need not reduce the amount of feeding nor you have to start any other medication. The report is also fin...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to give formula to newborn for jaundice?
Query: Hello doctor, My daughter was born a week back. Upon leaving the hospital her jaundice levels were at 10.2. The follow-up appointment was yesterday and after doing a bilirubin test it went up to 11.2. The doctor stated I should start supplementing with formula as I am breastfeeding. However, she was...  Read Full »
Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to check the weight of the child and the hydration status of the child to comment on the reason for icterus. Also the blood group of the baby and mother should be known along with G6PD status. Another important factor that comes to play is breast milk jaundice...  Read Full »

Though I am well hydrated with good diet, my breast milk is not enough for my baby. What to do?
Query: Hi doctor, I gave birth to my child before four weeks. I am providing breastfeeding to my child from her birth. My breastfeeding was fine before three days. But now, my milk supply has got dropped. My baby seems to have a loss of weight, and she is not peeing often. Yesterday, she pooped a light gr...  Read Full »
Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Start giving top feeds to the child for some time and take some days off from breastfeeding. Weight loss and a reduced urine output of the child is because of low milk intake. Low milk production may occur due to many reasons, the most common one being stress. So take r...  Read Full »

Why is my baby's poop dark green?
Query: Hello doctor,My baby is three and a half months now. Since he completed three months, he is more on formula milk than breastfeeding due to supply issues. He poops every alternate day. I am concerned as his poop color is dark green and at the end of the process a slight yellow poop comes. I have...  Read Full »
Dr. Simy Mathew
Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The color of the poop does not matter much unless it is dark black, which is a possible sign of occult blood. Usually poops in babies on formula feed is dark green. A breastfed baby will have golden yellow poop. So, do not be worried at all. I also suggest you take ...  Read Full »

My 7 months old baby passes loose stools 5 to 6 times a day. What to do?
Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 7 months and 10 days old and initially, he was suffering from a runny nose, two weeks back. This week, he has loose motions, and he passes stools 5 to 6 times a day. We consulted a doctor, who gave him Sporlac and Zinc dry powder suspension. He is now pooping 2 to 3 times out ...  Read Full »
Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand the situation you are in. Loose motions once started in a child might take at least 7 to 10 days to subside. Passing two to three loose stools per day is not a big issue until your child is active, taking feeds well, and passing urine adequately. So continue...  Read Full »

What is VSD?
Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 28 days old. During her normal check up, after Doppler echocardiography it is found that she has a small VSD. The doctor said that it is normal and generally by a year it will get cured. But, I would like to have a second opinion with you. Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. Sirisha
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Let me try to explain you the diagnosis. VSD- ventricular septal defect, is a communication between the lower chambers of the heart, which in normal should not be present. The problem with VS...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Formula Feeding? We have medical experts to help you right away.