Free T4

Related Terms: Tsh Level, Thyroid Problem, T3 And T4 Levels, Thyroid Function Test, Levothyroxine, Hypothyroidism, Thyroid, ECG

TSH of 5960 and free T4 of 1.14 in an 8-year-old. Should I be worried?
Query: Hello doctor, My 8-year-old daughter had labs done twice now and I have one doctor saying its concerning and another saying they are fine. I need another opinion. Labs done two months ago TSH was 5210 and free T4 was 1.43 and labs done this month are TSH is 5960 and free T4 is 1.14. I hav...  Read Full »
Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that your daughter has a slightly high TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone). As of now, there is no need to take any treatment. However, h...  Read Full »

Should I be concerned about my slightly high free T4 level?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 59 year old male in generally excellent health. I am 5'10" tall and weighs 170 pounds. I am very fit for my age. I just had an annual physical and laboratory work, and it was generally excellent. I had a complete thyroidectomy before nine years due to several large but benign cysts...  Read Full »
Dr. Swaraj S W
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not think that you should be concerned. For the free T4 to get high and cause worried your TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) should get suppressed, which is not the case with you. I would suggest you keep the same dose and repeat TSH and free T4 after two months. S...  Read Full »

My TSH - 5.96, free T3 - 2.49, free T4 - 0.76, Age 33.Do I need thyroid medicine?
Query: Hello Doctor, Free TSH 5.96, freeT3 2.49, freeT4 0.76. Age 33 years. Symptoms - weight gain, depression, late periods since second delivery and 2 years back. Do I need thyroid medicine?  Read Full »
Dr. Sruti Chandrasekaran
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know when was this thyroid test done? This seems to be a very mild thyroid dysfunction. Does anyone in your family have thyroid problem? I would recommend you to consult an endocrinologist online to go for some more testing (like thyroid antibodies and r...  Read Full »

I run out of breath while taking stairs. What is going on?
Query: Hello doctor,I have been diagnosed with hypertension and tachycardia. Every time I walk up the stairs or walk I feel like I am running out of breath. I could hear my heart throbbing in my right ear. It started four months back. I am obsessed also. Please let me know what is going on. Currently, I am...  Read Full »
Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you some blood tests and free T4, T3, TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), Hb % (hemoglobin), FBS (fasting blood sugar) and Holter monitoring to evaluate your maximum and minimum heart rate and to identify any other abnormalities. Control your BP adequately and ...  Read Full »

My blood pressure is erratic. Can you help ?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old. Recently, I started having high blood pressure. It goes up and down a lot. At some times, it is 170/90, and at others, it is 130/80. Recently I have done a blood test, where my Hb was 10.52, cholesterol was 152, triglyceride was 165, HDL 28 and LDL was 91. The other...  Read Full »
Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your pulse rate is high. Please do a free T4, T3, and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) test. For your BP (blood pressure), you can take Met XL (Metoprolol) 50 one tablet, once daily at around 8 AM and tablet Stamlo (Amlodipine) 5 one tablet at around 5 PM. You...  Read Full »

I have got different opinions for my TSH value. Which one is correct?
Query: Hi doctor, I am very concerned about my health. I made an appointment last year with an endocrinologist. I had a laboratory work and my TSH was 3.4. It was considered normal on laboratory ranges. But, my primary doctor said that 3.4 is high on what it should be consider the new normal. My LDL chole...  Read Full »
Dr. Bindiya Thakkar
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Work up of hypothyroidism involves just TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) or TSH and free T4. TT3 (triiodothyronine) or reverse T3 has no role in the diagnosis of hypothyroidism and it is useful in hyperthyroidism. TSH more than 10 is hypothyroidism and definitely need...  Read Full »

I have heart palpitations when I exercise. Am I over exercising?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 46 year old male. I have a desk job where I need to be sitting for eight hours continuously at the computer. I am suffering from these problems since 27 years. When I was 19, I did heavy exercises once and suddenly the heartbeat increased to approximately 180 times per minute. ...  Read Full »
Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have done some tests already related to the heart and found it to be normal. I suggest you do free T4, T3, TSH, Holter monitoring, and Hb %. Based on the reports, the next course of action could be taken. I think you need not worry. Try to control your stress....  Read Full »

My wife developed high TSH post pregnancy. Is this postpartum thyroiditis?
Query: Hi doctor, My wife, who is 29 years old, had symptoms of tiredness and dry skin. So, we tested her thyroid function. I found that her serum TSH level was 150 as well as free T4 below normal. Is this symptom of hypothyroidism? She delivered a baby seven months ago and the test was done recently. She ...  Read Full »
Dr. Sakthivel Sivasubramanian
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It could be postpartum thyroiditis or unmasking of autoimmune hypothyroidism. As it is most likely to be the latter, kindly start her on Thyroxine 75-100 mcg once daily (Levothyroxine) depending upon her weight. Check TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), FT4 (free T4), Anti...  Read Full »

My husband has forgotten to carry his medicines during travel. Will he be fine?
Query: Hello doctor, My husband underwent a surgery for pituitary macroadenoma. He is under medication. He is taking Histone tablet and the dosage is 10-5-5 (mg). He is advised to continue this for three months. But, he has gained a weight of 10 kg in the last month. Also, he complains that he has severe...  Read Full »
Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. The weight gain could be related to a hormonal imbalance. For this reason, I would recommend checking his pituitary gland hormones again: ACTH (adrenocortical tropic hormone). TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone). FSH (foll...  Read Full »

Both my HDL and LDL cholesterol are below normal. What should I do?
Query: Hi doctor,I am a 6 feet tall male, who is 31 years old, and I weigh 88 kg. I recently got a lipid profile done, and the report showed my HDL to be 23 mg/dL and LDL to be 80 mg/dL. I feel a slight left-sided chest pain sometimes. I gained 20 kg in the last two years. I do not drink or smoke. What sho...  Read Full »
Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your lipid profile is good, except your HDL (high-density lipoprotein) and LDL (low-density lipoprotein) are low. Low LDL is good, so do not worry. As you gained 20 kg in the last two years and for mild chest pains, I suggest you get the following tests done: Free T4, T3...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Free T4? We have medical experts to help you right away.