Fungal Infection

About "Fungal Infection"

Fungal infections are caused by fungi living on dead tissues of the body namely skin, hair and nails. There are different types of fungi causing infections, rashes and other specific symptoms at different sites in the body. They are treated by the use of anti-fungal medication.

Related Terms: Clotrimazole, Fluconazole, Antifungal, Itraconazole, Fungal Infection Of The Groin, Itching, Levocetirizine

Recently Answered Questions

Superficial Fungal Infections
Article Overview: Fungal infections of the skin and mucosal surfaces are very common. There are various types of fungi that affect different areas of the body causing distinct symptoms. Most mild to moderate cases can be treated with topical antifungals whereas severe cases require oral antifungal medications.  Read Article »
Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Fungal infections of the skin are a very common occurrence in people of all ages, from babies to adults and the elderly, in healthy as well as immunocompromised individuals. There are various types of fungi and each causes distinct features, depending on the site of infection. Some common types of ...  Read Article »
Onychomycosis - Fungal Infection of Nails, Its Patterns and Treatment
Article Overview: Most of the patients in dermatological practice who present with nail infections, come with an expectation that it gets cured in the first visit itself. But, due to the slow growth of nail plate and deeper involvement of nail matrix, it requires treatment for longer duration. In this article, I have discussed about fungal infection of the nails.  Read Article »
Dr. Suvash Sahu

Onychomycosis includes nail infections due to dermatophytes, non-dermatophytes and yeasts as well. Dermatophyte infection of the nail plate is known as tinea unguium. It occurs due to the same species that causes tinea pedis (fungal infection of the feet) and tinea manuum (fungal infection ...  Read Article »
Can fungal infection cause low grade fever?
Query: Hi doctor, For around nine weeks now, I have had a low grade fever and that persists. Also, I feel a little upper throat fullness and mild sinus congestion. I have been in and out of primary care clinics many times looking for help.  I had two chest x-rays and they were clear. I also had blood test...  Read Full »
Dr. Anshuman Srivastava
Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to This is a chronic fever, which is called as pyrexia of unknown origin when we are unable to ascertain a cause. As your blood tests and x-ray are normal, lung infection is ruled out. Conditions causing chronic fever are numerous. Also, certain infections like tuber...  Read Full »
I have fungal infection in my ear.Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction?
Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with fungal ear infection yesterday. Doctor asked me to get admitted in the hospital for a microsuction to remove fungal debris. Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction? Can microsuction be done as an out patient procedure without staying in...  Read Full »
Dr. A.k.srivastava
ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome in would like to tell you that fungal infection in ear is quite common and it may be treated by: Cleaning the ear: Cleaning may be done by suction or syringing or by cotton swab. Antifungal ear drops to be used three or four times a day. Anti-inflammatory medicine to reliev...  Read Full »
General Measures Against Fungal Infection and Use of Antifungal Agents
Article Overview: This article discusses about the commonly used antifungal agents and general measures to prevent dermatophytosis (ringworm or tinea), which is very common during summer.  Read Article »
Dr. Suvash Sahu

Antifungal agents are usually applied for two to three weeks twice daily. Over application can irritate sensitive and damaged skin. The following are the different antifungal agents that are used for various fungal infections. Imidazoles, which include Miconazole 2%, Clotrimazole 1 ...  Read Article »
I have a fungal infection that occurs again and again. Please help.
Query: Hi doctor, Please take a look at my case of skin dryness and flaking on my face. This is a cyclic condition which occurs almost every 7-8 months. The dryness persists for 1-2 months during which I also have general body itching over hands, legs and under my ribs on the sides. The strange thing is t...  Read Full »
Dr. Atishay Bukharia
Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to First of all I would like you to thank for giving me a perfect clinical history with perfect photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is a crystal clear case of seborrheic dermatitis and is moderate in nature. It is a fungal infection and is ...  Read Full »
I have a fungal infection on the face that recurs when I stop the cream. Please help.
Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I have been diagnosed to have a fungal infection on my face and was suggested to use candid B cream when I was in primary school. I had relief, but I have been now developing the same kind of lesions since five years and I have been using candid B every night. If I sto...  Read Full »
Dr. Kakkar S
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can see some dryness, flakiness, and small red patches on the side of the chin, jaw, and side of upper lip. It is not exactly a fungal infection. It is actua...  Read Full »
I have recurrent fungal infection on my penis. What should I do?
Query: Hello doctor, I had a full body to body contact with someone at a massage parlor three months ago. There was no intercourse or oral sex. I ejaculated. I got diagnosed with scabies and a fungal infection on the penis. I took medications for the same and the symptoms went away. However, the burning d...  Read Full »
Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If the area is not kept clean and dry, this can happen again and again. It is not always associated with sexual exposure. Your all reports are normal. I suggest you contin...  Read Full »
Which is the best treatment for fungal infection?
Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from fungal infection from the last two years, continuously used many ointments but no benefit observed such as Ketoform, Dermiform, Sertaconazole, Luliconazole, Ring ring , Btex, Ring Guard and currently using Dermex cream. Please give me appropriate medicine name or a...  Read Full »
Dr. Payal Chauhan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to You have tinea corporis. The creams that you have used are steroids that are not to be given for fungal infection. Application of these creams has aggravated your situation. Topical treatment can be used for relief but you need to be started on oral medicines for compl...  Read Full »
How to treat the fungal infection in my penis?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. I have a fungal infection in the groin area. It has got spread. It has affected my penis. Now I have an urge to urinate inside my penis. I want to get cured. Please suggest.  Read Full »
Dr. Shaunak Patel

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I suggest you consult your local dermatologist soon. I suggest you start with antifungal medications soon. Take capsule I-Win 100 mg (Itraconazole) twice daily after lunch and dinner for two weeks. Apply Eberwin cream (Eberconazole) over the affected area once daily aft...  Read Full »


Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Do you have a question on Fungal Infection? We have medical experts to help you right away.

Ask a Doctor Online Now!