Glaucoma

Related Terms: Cataract, Diabetic Retinopathy, Intraocular Pressure, Corneal Eye Diseases, Dry Eye, Eye Infections, Phacoemulsification

Glaucoma - an Overview of Causes, Types and Treatment
Article Overview: Most people know glaucoma as a disease associated with high intraocular pressure that is pressure in the eye. I have explained in detail about glaucoma, its causes, types, symptoms, investigations and treatment in detail in this article.  Read Article »
Dr. David J Mathew
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Glaucoma is an optic neuropathy, which is a disease of the optic nerve that generally progresses over time. The optic nerve connects the eye to the brain. The optic nerve damage due to glaucoma is evident in the optic nerve head, the place where the optic nerve is connected to the back of the eye. D ...  Read Article »

Normotension Glaucoma - a Disease on the Rise
Article Overview: Glaucoma is a group of diseases causing long-standing progressive optic nerve damage. Glaucoma is thus a sort of generic name, referring to the plethora of diseases causing optic nerve damage with one common feature, a higher intraocular pressure (higher pressure inside the eye than the normal limits). A few patients belong to a lesser known, smaller subgroup among the broader classification of glaucoma called normotension glaucoma. This peculiar disease is one where, as the name suggests, the intraocular pressure is normal. But, is classified as a type of glaucoma as it produces eye changes that are characteristic of glaucomatous damage. This article describes the essential features of this disease with how the disease progresses and what measures need to be taken to detect and manage this problem.  Read Article »
Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Glaucoma refers to diseases causing optic nerve damage with a common feature of high intraocular pressure. But, a smaller subgroup is called normotension glaucoma. This peculiar disease is one where, as the name suggests, the intraocular pressure is normal. But, is classified as a type of glaucoma a ...  Read Article »

Can glaucoma and cataract be operated at the same time?
Query: Hello doctor, My mother, who is aged 57, had eye pain recently. We consulted a doctor and got to know that my mom has glaucoma. Also, they mentioned that it is in the advanced stage and severe of around 90%. From another couple of tests, they found that my mother needs cataract surgery along with gl...  Read Full »
Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed all reports carefully (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your doctor has correctly said that it is an advanced form of glaucoma. The treatment depends on the type of glaucoma, either open-angle glaucoma or closed angle glaucoma. It is diagn...  Read Full »

Diagnosed with Glaucoma: What Next?
Article Overview: Glaucoma is an eye condition that is caused by fluid-build up and increased pressure in the eye, leading to progressive vision loss.  Read Article »
Dr. Shikha Gupta
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Glaucoma is a chronic, progressive disease. It poses a diagnostic dilemma for ophthalmologists and the patients get frustrated because it is often diagnosed at the advanced stage and they are unaware that they even have a disease. As there are no symptoms initially, they are unsure if they should co ...  Read Article »

What does glaucoma suspected patient mean?
Query: Hi doctor, I had eye checkup nine months back as I had light pain in right eye. The doctor advised me to get OCT and CCT. With the test reports he said that I have glaucoma. He advised me to take an eye drop named Lumigan one drop daily at night in both eyes. I am not satisfied with his opinion and ...  Read Full »
Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all please relax. There is nothing to worry. All the doctors are correct. Now let me explain you. Glaucoma is a very slowly progressive disease. You are glaucoma suspect means you are at risk of glaucoma or have many predisposing factors for glaucoma, but ther...  Read Full »

I am pregnant and having glaucoma. Will the labor pressure damage my eyes?
Query: Hi doctor, I had keratoconus and started developing glaucoma. My eyes are really weak, and my right eye is at its thinnest point. I will upload reports from my doctor. I am pregnant and scared labor pressure. Will it cause any harm to my eyes? What is your opinion? I am on Euthyrox 25 for underactiv...  Read Full »
Dr. Shikha Gupta
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The condition is really bad in your right eye (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Use scleral lenses till hydrops is resolved and pregnancy ends. For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-docto...  Read Full »

My father has been detected with glaucoma. Do we need to take urgent action?
Query: Hello doctor, My father has been detected with glaucoma. The problem started about two months back. There is some irritation in eyes and vision is hampered in one eye. I wanted to get an opinion on how serious. What should be done? Do we need to take urgent action? Can we cure it completely?  Read Full »
Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The thing with glaucoma is that it is a progressive condition and we can arrest its progress to a level that it does not cause further damage. The vision loss that has already been done by the disease is not reversible. Our goal here is to lower the pressure to such a l...  Read Full »

Can you diagnose the type of glaucoma from the iris scan?
Query: Hello doctor,I have glaucoma. Last week, I had an iris scan (USG). From the iris scan, are you able to diagnose whether it is an open angle, narrow-angle or closed angle? Currently, I am taking Timolol with Latanoprost eye drops.  Read Full »
Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the scans (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your angles seem open. But we cannot diagnose glaucoma based on this investigation alone. Here is a list of investigation that you have to get done. Applanation tonometry to check the pressure. Pachyme...  Read Full »

How Do I Know If I Have Glaucoma?
Article Overview: Glaucoma is a prolonged deterioration of the optic nerve function, caused by various factors, one of which is the pressure of our eye. This article looks at the essential information you need to know to understand glaucoma, how to know whether you need to be checked for glaucoma, about its treatment and essential preventive measures.  Read Article »
Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Glaucoma is a prolonged deterioration of optic nerve function caused by various factors, one of which is the pressure of our eye. This article looks at the essential information you need to know to understand glaucoma, how to know whether you need to be checked for glaucoma, about its treatment and ...  Read Article »

18-weeks-old baby diagnosed with congenital glaucoma and aniridia. Kindly help.
Query: Hi doctor,My 18 weeks old second daughter was diagnosed to have congenital glaucoma with aniridia and corneal opacities bilaterally at birth for which she underwent bilateral trabeculectomy within 15 days of birth. She achieved peripheral clearance of cornea in both the eyes within few days of surge...  Read Full »
Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a good sign that glaucoma is under control and cornea has started clearing out. But the main problem here is to stop development of amblyopia which is basically a state where due to prolong blurring of vision brain. Basically starts rejecting images after a certai...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Glaucoma? We have medical experts to help you right away.