Hemoglobin

Related Terms: Low Hemoglobin, Iron Supplement, Iron Defeciency Anemia, Folic Acid, Hba1c, Complete Blood Count, Diabetes

What could be the reason for low Hb of 5.6. How to improve it?
Query: Hi doctor, My father-in-law has a hemoglobin of 5.6 g/dL. What is the cause? Please suggest a treatment.  Read Full »
Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are multiple reasons for having low hemoglobin. It can be due to nutritional deficiency or chronic blood loss. I recommend seeing a gastroenterologist. He needs fecal occult blood testing and colonoscopy to rule out occult bleeding. Also, give him two units of blo...  Read Full »

Hemoglobin is at 9.8 g/dL at 37 weeks of pregnancy. Kindly advice what is to be done.
Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 37 weeks pregnant and the delivery date given by the doctor is 28th of this month. Two months ago, her hemoglobin was 8.9 g/dL and serum ferritin 36.44 ng/mL. The doctor advised drips with Venofer injections. Four drips (100 ml with two Venofer injections each) have been given...  Read Full »
Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hemoglobin is 9.8 g/dL. That is less for the third trimester. But, this is the corrected one, previously it was much lower. In delivery, there is a chance of bleeding, changes in clotting factors and hormonal changes at delivery which can cause more bleeding, diffic...  Read Full »

Hemoglobin, RBC, and WBC are going down rapidly. What can be the reason?
Query: Hello doctor, My husband's hemoglobin is 3.7 g/dL, but the hemoglobin level was 5 g/dL when we checked it two days back. His RBC and WBC are also going down. What can be the reason?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your husband's hemoglobin and WBC count are going down very fast, it is not normal. For such low hemoglobin levels, blood transfusion is needed immediately. A peripheral smear examination should be done, to look for schistocytes like fragmented RBC and normoblast count...  Read Full »

High Hemoglobin Levels: Is It Dangerous?
Article Overview: In daily practice, we occasionally do come across situations where some realize they have high hemoglobin about which they became aware of during their routine bloodwork. They, all of a sudden, go from being a normal asymptomatic individual to becoming a patient, consulting their family physician and then eventually reaching out to a hematologist for further treatment plan. In this article, I would like to discuss briefly this scenario so that individuals who face this issue know how to go about it.  Read Article »
Dr. Kks
Hematologist

According to the conventional definition, it is considered as high hemoglobin when levels are more than 18.5 g/dL for men and 16.5 g/dL for women. High hemoglobin levels are associated with high hematocrit (also called as PCV) levels which are defined as greater than 50 % in men and greater than 45 ...  Read Article »

Am I a beta-thalassemia carrier with the hemoglobin A2 level of 4.3?
Query: Hello doctor, I was just wondering for a second opinion on some results which I have received being 8+4 weeks pregnant. My FBC was normal but my hemoglobin A2 Level is 4.3 and it says the normal range is 1.5 to 3.6. But I just wanted to know if this definitely means I am a carrier of beta-thalassem...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your attached CBC report shows normal hemoglobin and MCV with RBC count is also within range (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I have calculated Mentzer index as well which is also not in favor of thalassemia minor. Moreover, in the report, also it has b...  Read Full »

My hemoglobin levels are high. Do I need to worry?
Query: Hello doctor,My hemoglobin is 17.3, and total RBC is 6.32. The homocysteine is at 45.3. Is it normal or do I need to worry?  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post and investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are a few significant abnormalities which I will try to address. Your hemoglobin is high but your hematocrit is normal. It is usually seen in people who smoke or live at...  Read Full »

My hemoglobin level is 5.4 g/dL. What should I do?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 33 years old, 6 feet and 3 inches tall, and my weight is 100 kg. My hemoglobin level is 5.4 g/dL, and platelet level is 1.38 lakh/mcL. I have attached the reports. Please help.  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post and the investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have severe iron deficiency anemia, and your hemoglobin is less than six, which makes you a candidate to get admitted to the hospital. First, receive blood followed by...  Read Full »

My hemoglobin count is low. Could it be due to my heavy menstrual flow?
Query: Hello doctor,I have been suffering from anemia for over 12 years now. I am very sure that within this time frame, my hemoglobin level has never been higher than 10 g/dL. Recently, my hemoglobin was at 7.1 g/dL. I have seen many doctors and have informed them of a family history of a kidney disease, ...  Read Full »
Dr. Prasad Eswaran
Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you forward your hemoglobin electrophoresis report to me? For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist  Read Full »

Is hemoglobin level of 17.1 normal?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old male. My hemoglobin level is 17.1. Last month when I donated blood I came to know that this. Again this month, when I checked, the level remains the same. I would like to know whether it is normal. If it is abnormal what should I follow to bring back that to normal?  Read Full »
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Hemoglobin level of 17.1 is near normal. Increased hemoglobin can be seen in conditions, where oxygenation is less, like hilly areas, lung disorders and the air you breathe is low in oxygen. To compensate red blood cells i...  Read Full »

What does high hemoglobin level indicate?
Query: Hello doctor, I am so worried. I had a blood test and my hemoglobin is 16 g/dl (9.9 mmol/l) and hematocrit is 46 PTC. I am female, 39, and healthy. My white blood cells, platelets, and thrombocytes are in normal middle range. Is a bit high hemoglobin sign of some sickness? What to do next?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome back to icliniq.com. So, actually, your hemoglobin level is borderline high and not low. So, you are not having anemia. You are probably thinking about polycythemia. But as your hemoglobin is not much elevated and your total WBC count with platelet count are within range, no need to wo...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Hemoglobin? We have medical experts to help you right away.