High Hematocrit

Related Terms: High Hemoglobin, Polycythemia Vera, High Rbc Count, Polycythemia, Hemoglobin, Cigarette Smoking, Jak 2 Mutation

Can fasting lead to high RBC count?
Query: Hello doctor, I had a blood test done two months back and my RBC was 6.0, hemoglobin 17.2, and hematocrit 51, which were all high especially RBC. The blood test was in the morning and I had not eaten or drunk for eight hours before. I am an 18-year-old 130 lb male, and I was wondering if the blood ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The dehydration for prolonged duration can lead to high RBC count, high hematocrit and high hemoglobin level. But eight-hour fasting cannot lead to such findings. It is advisable to repeat your test after a few days. Until then, keep yourself well hydrated with lots ...  Read Full »

Are my blood test results worrisome?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 57 year old male. I just had a blood test. Results: Hemocrit 60.0 (h), Blood Urea Nitrogen 24 (h), MCV 96.6 (H), MCHC 31.9 (L), Creatinine 1.36 (H), Basophils 2.1 (H), All other labs were normal.  Read Full »
Dr. Smrita Singh
Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. BUN levels represent the balance between urea production (liver), urea breakdown, and urea elimination (kidneys). Therefore, BUN is an indicator of kidney health and/or liver health. A high hematocrit could be due to many reasons and is not an indication of iron ove...  Read Full »

High Hemoglobin Levels: Is It Dangerous?
Article Overview: In daily practice, we occasionally do come across situations where some realize they have high hemoglobin about which they became aware of during their routine bloodwork. They, all of a sudden, go from being a normal asymptomatic individual to becoming a patient, consulting their family physician and then eventually reaching out to a hematologist for further treatment plan. In this article, I would like to discuss briefly this scenario so that individuals who face this issue know how to go about it.  Read Article »
Dr. Kks
Hematologist

According to the conventional definition, it is considered as high hemoglobin when levels are more than 18.5 g/dL for men and 16.5 g/dL for women. High hemoglobin levels are associated with high hematocrit (also called as PCV) levels which are defined as greater than 50 % in men and greater than 45 ...  Read Article »

Why am I having high RBC and hemoglobin counts with low glycated hemoglobin?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 53 years old, 183 lbs, 5'4". For years, I ran a high white blood count and the oncologist said nothing can be done about that. We need to now watch red blood count and RBC distribution and watch my spleen. Now approximately nine years later, for the last four years, I am seeing r...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query and below is my opinion. Your attached reports are suggestive of high RBC, hemoglobin, and HCT as per provided reference range in a laboratory report. So it is suggestive of polycythemia. It can be primary or secondary. Primary polycythemia s...  Read Full »

What are the possible causes for fatigue that did not improve with TRT?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 42-year-old male. I had undescended testes from childhood which went untreated (hence I had always been and am on single testis only). The undescended testis still lies in the groin. I used to feel fatigued most of the times over the years, due to which I had difficulty in conc...  Read Full »
Dr. Smrita Singh
Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know as to why you are receiving testosterone replacement therapy. I know that you have mentioned that you have one undescended testis. But many men do not have any problem even when they have a single functional testis. Testosterone replacement thera...  Read Full »

Why are my hematocrit, RBC, Hb, and mean cell volume elevated?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been feeling unwell for a long time. These are my recent blood results. My doctor says that my hematocrit, RBC count, hemoglobin and mean cell volume have been out of the normal range for at least 10 years as that is how far back he can see. I think it should be investigated. W...  Read Full »
Dr. Smrita Singh
Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your hemoglobin and hematocrit values are slightly high. Your RBC count is only marginally elevated since the upper limit of normal is 5.5 million/cu.mm. With these values, there is a suspicion of you having hemochromatosis or an early stage of polycythemia vera. In ...  Read Full »

What can be the reason for elevated RBC, Hb and Hct?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old female. I have been itching all over for months and constantly covered with bruises, petechiae and livedo reticularis. I was diagnosed with erythromyalgia. I also have severe bone pain. My blood work came back with elevated RBC, Hb, Hct, low alkaline phosphate, low BUN...  Read Full »
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: The elevated hemoglobin, red blood cell count and hematocrit signify polycythemia. Elevated Vitamin B12 level is one of the markers of myeloproliferative disorder. I would strongly think of polycythemia vera. Other valu...  Read Full »

What is your suggestion for polycythemia?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old male. I am suffering from polycythemia for the last two years. My Hb is 19.17 and HCT is 51.9. The doctors informed me that it is all due to smoking. Is there any serious problem with me? What will you suggest? Thank you.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chronic smoking can lead to heart failure, chronic lung disease, etc., and hence, polycythemia occurs. It is called secondary polycythemia. With the treatment, the prognosis is good in secondary polycythemia. But, polycythemia can occur as primary polycythemia as well, an...  Read Full »

Why do I have persistently high Hb and HCT?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old female. I have a history of celiac disease and a past medical history of Hodgkin's lymphoma, a stage 2 cervical lymph node and tumors in my chest. I had a blood test last week which showed B12 and folic acid deficiency, raised hemoglobin of 161 and raised hematocrit of ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having celiac disease in which because of malabsorption vitamin B12 deficiency and folate deficiency can occur. This deficiency also can be developed if polycythemia present in which proliferation more. Here hemoglobin and HCT is high as per history. Hence if it i...  Read Full »

Why should I see a hematologist for high Hb and Hct?
Query: Hi doctor, I am really worried that my Hgb is 17.6 and Hct is 54.6. I have been recommended to consult a hematologist in cancer care center. I am bothered whether it is a major illness. Can you please help me out?  Read Full »
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Your hemoglobin (Hb or Hgb) and hematocrit (Hct) is a bit high and hence further evaluation is being done. If you are from a hill station or a smoker or with lung disorder then this may be normal. This is called as polycythe...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on High Hematocrit? We have medical experts to help you right away.