Hiv Symptoms

Can HIV symptoms occur after six months of possible exposure?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male, and my query is regarding possible HIV exposure. Four months back, I had a sexual encounter with two female partners. I had insertive vaginal sex and received oral sex. Intercourse had lasted for about five minutes twice with each partner. Condoms were used thr...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The answers to your queries are as follows: The risk of contracting HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) during protected insertive vaginal sex, as you have described, is non-existent. Receiving oral sex carries negligible to low risk of HIV acquisition, especially, if...  Read Full »

Is pain in the knee an HIV symptom?

Query: Hi doctor, I had sex with a CSW. During sex, she rubbed her vagina against my penis. I felt like the penis entered in her vagina for a moment. Then, I immediately asked to wear a condom. Six weeks after this incident, I had a pain in my right knee. There was no swelling or redness. It resolved in...  Read Full »

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Though joint pain occurs in HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), fever, malaise, and enlarged lymph nodes are more common in the initial stages of HIV. The involvement of a single knee joint seems unlikely. But as you had physical relations with a CSW (commercial sex wo...  Read Full »

Can cough and small red spots in hand after intercourse be HIV symptoms?

Query: Hello doctor, I had sex with a sex worker 45 days back. During which my condom broke and then immediately I withdrew my penis and went to the washroom and cleaned my penis with water. After this incident, I am having a little cough and small red spots on my hand. Can this be HIV symptom? Please he...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Unprotected sexual encounters are a risk factor for multiple STDs including HIV. Condom slippage is considered as condom failure, and it is regarded as unprotected act. However, the risk of acquiring HIV through the sexual route is as low as 0.02 to 0.5 %. HIV has a win...  Read Full »

I am having burning sensation in my scrotum after oral sex. Could it be HIV?

Query: Hello doctor,I had receptive oral sex (received fellation) with an escort girl three weeks ago. Since then, I have got urethritis three days after. I have been treated with Levofloxacin for 10 days. The urethritis got cured, but I kept getting some strange burning sensations in my scrotum and the to...  Read Full »

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Oral sex is least related to HIV. Symptoms are very bizarre and mostly by oral sex HSV, and STI is common. The tickling sensation is different as such, may be seen in vitamin B 12 deficiency, and anxiety. Symptoms come but goes in a particular time. You can still go...  Read Full »

Can you catch the flu from having intercourse?

Query: Hi doctor, I had sex with a girl I know. The condom broke while having sex. After 30 minutes, I started having the headache. I was distraught. I took the antibiotics. After two days, I had a cold. Can HIV symptoms appear this fast? Or it was because I took the antibiotics? Or I am just panicking?  Read Full »

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) symptoms cannot appear so soon. It may be due to an anxiety or just a coincidence. For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full »

My wife and I started having fever and chills at the same time. Could it be HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, For the last two days, I have a headache, fever, chills, sweating, and body ache. On contacting my doctor, he advised me to go for a dengue test in which NS1Ag came positive, and the doctor has advised for an ELISA test which is yet to be done. Now, I am worried as the HIV symptoms ar...  Read Full »

Dr. Rashmi Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understood your concern. The antigen test that is done is not a diagnostic test but, used to complement the diagnosis. It is not very conclusive. The symptoms you described are seen 14 to 15 days after exposure, and not this late. In oral sex, unl...  Read Full »

I had oral sex with confirmed HIV positive guy. What are my chances of infection?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 29-year-old male homosexual. I had a sexual encounter 15 days back with a confirmed HIV positive guy. I gave him blow job with a condom and we smooched. He also blew me but I was not putting on a condom and when he spit out, there was a streak of blood in the spit. He says he has...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is certainly a sizeable risk of transmission. Since he spit the blood, whatever may be a source, meaning he has had viruses in his oral cavity. HIV RNA or p24 antigen test, both are equally good becomes positive in one to two weeks period after infection, so yo...  Read Full »

Are white tongue and blisters in the throat three months after sex signify HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I had sex about three months ago but the body has been feeling strange lately. My partner is negative. This is how my symptoms started. It was one day in school two months back where I just could not sit down because of my lower back pain and would go away about two days later and not...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, you have to acknowledge that your STD tests and HIV OraQuick are negative so that there is nothing serious. You are 26 and if the whitish lesions were not there prior to sex then we can rule out cancer too. You are not in a high-risk age and cancerous l...  Read Full »

Is headache a symptom of HIV?

Query: Hi doctor, Before 14 days, I had an encounter with a female escort. We had unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex. I am worried about the possibility of HIV as I am experiencing headaches. From day 4 or 5 post exposure, I have had a general malaise feeling in my head, feeling spaced out and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your anxiety, which is quite obvious in this situation. However, transfer of the HIV virus through oral sex is low. But, it depends on any cuts, abrasion on your penis and any ulcer in her mouth. If this is possible, then get a blood sample of her, b...  Read Full »

Can HIV spread through kissing?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a female in my 20s. I have been having obsessive worries, so please do not judge my rather paranoid concerns, since I cannot get them off my mind. A week ago, during a night out, I received a kiss on the cheek by a male stranger, and also gave him a kiss on his cheek. Initially, I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have mentioned, there were no cuts in his and your lip, then 80 % problem is solved. Touch and light kiss do not transfer HIV. Saliva is their least chance of transmission, which is not known or does not have a reported case though. So, this is just a quick re...  Read Full »

All the answers published in the forum are given by leading doctors, therapists and health experts.