Irregular Heartbeat

Related Terms: Chest Pain, Anxiety, ECG, Arrhythmias, Tachycardia, Gastritis, High Blood Pressure

I have irregular heartbeats, especially when I exercise. What could be the problem?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been having irregular heartbeats for quite some time. I get palpitations and a feeling that my heart is missing beats. I get breathless and dizzy when this happens. Sometimes, the trigger is exercise, either walking or climbing stairs, other times it occurs when at rest. I am c...  Read Full »
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would recommend performing some tests to investigate for possible cardiac arrhythmia or other metabolic causes that may trigger this situation. A resting ECG and a cardiac ultrasound. An ambulatory 24 to 48 hours ECG monitoring to i...  Read Full »

What does an irregular heartbeat mean?
Query: Hello doctor, Just tonight I started having an irregular heartbeat. I have no other symptoms. I am not weak or dizzy or lightheaded. It has been going on and off for about five hours.  Read Full »
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. Your symptoms are most likely due to heart arrhythmia most likely AFib (atrial fibrillation), the most common arrhythmia which causes palpitations and may be completely asymptomatic. The other possible causes include SVT (supraventricular tac...  Read Full »

Why is there irregular heartbeat with chest and shoulder pain?
Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old female, no current medications, no known conditions, family history of many different heart problems on both maternal and paternal sides, seen by a cardiologist for bigeminy and irregular heartbeat over the summer, palpations still happen pretty often, chest and sh...  Read Full »
Dr. Carlos L. Alviar Md, Facc
Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. What you have is called premature ventricular contractions (AKA PVCs), which are extra beats coming from the bottom chamber of the heart and in some occasions they present in every other beat (what is called ventricular bigeminy) (attachment removed to protect patient ide...  Read Full »

Do I need to worry about panic attacks and irregular heartbeats?
Query: Hi doctor,I feel as if I am getting irregular heartbeats. I had suffered from panic attacks quite a few times in the last six months. Since then, I have been having these irregular heartbeats. Although, I have not had a panic attack now, the heart still beats irregularly and it occurs throughout the...  Read Full »
Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have not got any tests done so far for this, then you should seriously take a step forward in that direction. You will need an ECG, a 2D echocardiogram and a blood pressure check. Another thing is, if it is a panic attack, then you will know when you are getting it...  Read Full »

No more painful bouts of AFib. Can this be due to the stopping of Bisoprolol?
Query: Hello doctor,I am a 65-year-old male who has until recently been playing tennis regularly. I have been on beta blockers for about 15 years, first on 50 mg Atenolol and then on 10 mg Bisoprolol. They lowered my pulse rate to about 60 but then about three years ago I started to get AFib...  Read Full »
Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Atrial fibrillation (also called AFib or AF) is a quivering or irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) that can lead to blood clots, stroke, heart failure and other heart-related complications. Normally, your heart contracts and relaxes to a regular beat. In atrial fibrill...  Read Full »

What might be the reason for increasing lightheadedness?
Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from increasing lightheadedness and pressure near the back of the neck. I have this throughout the day. It gets worse with exertion and hot shower. I have some weird feeling in chest that is almost a fast heartbeat. My EKG and blood pressure are normal. Currently, I am on P...  Read Full »
Dr. Eriol Braholli
General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The common cause of dizziness or lightheadedness is abnormal blood pressure or irregular heartbeat. But, you said that your blood pressure and heart rhythm are normal. So, the other reason may be your depression medication. The common side effects of Prozac (Fluoxetine) ...  Read Full »

Can lightheadedness with abnormal heart rate be due to atrial fibrillation?
Query: Hello doctor, Last weekend, I ended up in the ER department after an overdose on THC capsules. Very scary experience my heart was going crazy, very bad chest pain, shortness of breath, tremor, etc., for about five hours. I had an ECG done in the hospital which said sinus tachycardia. My blood was t...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is possible, but a likely possibility is of ventricular ectopics (or other causes) rather than Afib which could also cause irregular heartbeats on the machine. Even in normal individuals, the machine may falsely show irregular beats. Few points which are agains...  Read Full »

I sometimes wake up at night with a pounding heart. Is it AFib?
Query: Hello doctor, My friend recently told me that she found out she had AFib and had to stop drinking hard liquor as it is a trigger. Listening to her I wondered if I was having the same issue. At night I sometimes wake up with a pounding heart. I always chalked it up to scary dreams as the heart-poundi...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is possible to have AFib (atrial fibrillation), but truly speaking symptoms may be very similar. However, during AFib one would be having a high heart rate, with irregular heartbeats and usually associated with shortness of breath, dizziness or chest pain. ...  Read Full »

Is potassium level of 5.5 high as I am feeling nauseous and numb?
Query: Hello doctor, My potassium is 5.5. Is that high because I am nauseated a lot, hands and feet get tingly or go numb a lot. I am tired a lot and my heartbeat feels irregular a lot plus I have had diarrhea or very thin stool for past few months. Cancer too runs in my family.  Read Full »
Dr. Lohit Chauhan
General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, serum potassium of 5.5 mEq is a bit high. The usual range of serum potassium is 3.5 to 5 mEq/L. Although 5.5 mEq/L is not that high to produce symptoms, but as your query suggested you are feeling the irregular heartbeat, I would suggest you get an ECG (EKG) done ...  Read Full »

I have both fast and slow heartbeat. Kindly explain my ECG.
Query: Hello doctor, I need a few of my ECG’s read from my health records. I have chest pain, sharp that spreads across the chest, shortness of breath, rapid or fluttering heartbeat. Extremely low pulse rate to extremely high. At present, I have not been able to get my heart rate below 120 BMP for a...  Read Full »
Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not relief of your chest pain only. Diagnosis of your problem and proper treatment has to be started. A beta blocker is effective in lowering fast heart rate but in case of bradycardia, it will further reduce the heart rate. To identify any sinus pause is there or...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Irregular Heartbeat? We have medical experts to help you right away.