Jaundice

Related Terms: Liver Function Test, Bilirubin, Hepatitis, Elevated Bilirubin, Gastritis, Fatty Liver, Constipation

Jaundice in Adults: An Overview
Article Overview: Jaundice is the yellowish discoloration of the skin and mucous membranes which is a symptom caused by an underlying disease where there is an increase in the levels of bilirubin in the blood.  Read Article »
Dr. Vasantha K S

Jaundice is the yellowish discoloration of the skin and mucous membranes which is a symptom caused by an underlying disease where there is an increase in the levels of bilirubin in the blood. Bilirubin is a breakdown byproduct. Normally, the liver excretes the bilirubin through the bile. Bilirubin ...  Read Article »

Is jaundice in a newborn dangerous? What has to be done?
Query: Hello doctor, My cousin gave birth to a baby boy yesterday at 38 weeks and baby is 2.8 kg in weight. Yesterday evening the doctor told us that the baby has jaundice at 3.3 and now it is 5.3 What should we do for this? Is it dangerous? Hospital people said yesterday it was mild and does not need tre...  Read Full »
Dr. Amit Modi
Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Jaundice developing in a baby after 24 hours of life is physiological jaundice and does not require any treatment unless it crosses a limit assigned. Various factors are taken into account like: S bilirubin. Baby blood group. Mother's blood group. Gestational a...  Read Full »

How can jaundice be treated in a 4-year-old?
Query: Hello doctor, My 4-year-old daughter with a weight of 12 kg has jaundice for the last 10 days. She is on HepaMerz Syrup and Mosegor-V Syrup. What should be done more to cure her?  Read Full »
Dr. Chandra Prakash Tanwar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Jaundice in a 4-year-old child is usually viral. My advice would be to feed her every once or twice hourly despite her desire to vomit as nutrition is the only key to faster recovery. Give her whatever she likes to eat after proper hygienic measure. Contact immediatel...  Read Full »

My brother gets jaundice every 3 to 4 months. Why?
Query: Hello doctor, My brother has jaundice, which comes after every three to four months. He feels very low and lazy, and his body becomes yellow. He also has a fever. We do not know why he gets sick every three months. The doctors say that the number of cells in his body that are getting destroyed are...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for your query. There are a number of causes of jaundice. Some of them are viral infections, (like hepatitis A, B, C, and E), certain medications, obstruction in the bile duct, and hemolytic anemia. Recurring jaundice is said when the level of bilirubin becomes no...  Read Full »

Can breastfeeding cause jaundice?
Query: Hi doctor, Our baby is 16 days old and is suffering from jaundice. Both mom and son have same B positive blood group. TSH level is normal and vitamin D oral drop is given. I have attached the bilirubin test report for your reference. Does breastfeeding affect jaundice in any way? Please advise us. ...  Read Full »
Dr. Deepak Patel
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports that you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is day 16 of the baby. Bilirubin levels have increased to 15 and it is mainly indirect bilirubinemia. Thyroid-stimulating hormone levels are normal, so hypothyroidism is ...  Read Full »

When will serum bilirubin and yellowness reduce after obstructive jaundice?
Query: Hello doctor, Obstructive jaundice has been detected. ERCP was done. Serum bilirubin still very high. MRCP report says everything is alright but neither serum bilirubin nor yellowness has got less.  Read Full »
Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns. In obstructive jaundice, there is an accumulation of conjugated bilirubin in the body due to obstruction at different levels in the hepatobiliary system which causes yellowish discolorat...  Read Full »

I am facing mild jaundice and loose motions after bariatric surgery. Please help.
Query: Hi doctor,I am 47 years old, female. I have undergone bariatric surgery five months ago. Now, I am suffering from mild jaundice (total bilirubin 1.5 mg/dl) and mild typhoid too. I have been facing non stop loose motion since last two weeks. I have seen the doctor. They have prescribed me the followi...  Read Full »
Dr. Noushif M
Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your bilirubin level looks fine. Not so worrisome and does not require any acute measure. Regarding the loose stools, it will take time to settle. Meanwhile, you have to be very cautious to avoid dehydration and electrolyte disturbances from loose stools. Keep yourse...  Read Full »

I have recovered from jaundice. Can I start working out at the gym?
Query: Hello,  I have recovered from jaundice just a week ago and all my reports are normal. I had hepatitis B. Can I start working out at the gym?  Read Full »
Dr. Saumya Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For people who have recovered from jaundice, usually we suggest at least 1-2 months of rest before attempting any heavy work.  You should start exercising gradually and step it up slowly.  You should stop immediately if you feel any issues.  Stepping up over 6 month...  Read Full »

How do I confirm jaundice?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old male. I did my medical test two days before. My liver function test reports are not good. Do I have jaundice? But I do not feel any symptoms. Do I need any further tests?  Read Full »
Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, you do have jaundice. But the level of jaundice is mild. It can occur due to any viral infection. There are two options:- Wait for 6 weeks and repeat LFT or straight away get further testi...  Read Full »

What is the difference between jaundice and hepatitis?
Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed to be suffering from hepatitis. My SGPT and bilirubin levels are high. I have been experiencing vomiting and nausea for the past one month. I had tested myself for jaundice around 15 days back; only bilirubin was high that time. Now, in the recent test taken three days ago...  Read Full »
Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The term hepatitis indicates inflammation of the liver and that may manifest as jaundice. It is due to many causes such as infection, metabolic, etc. We need to do a thorough investigation, because treatment is directed towards the specific disease and some medication ma...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Jaundice? We have medical experts to help you right away.