Low Platelet Count

Related Terms: Complete Blood Count, Low Platelet, Fever, Dengue, Paracetamol, Iron Supplement, Low Hemoglobin

Could low platelet count be due to arthritis?
Query: Hi doctor, About a month ago, I woke up with three of my fingers popping in the knuckles and fist. I put them under cool water, and it was better. When I went to my doctor, he said it as rheumatoid arthritis and prescribed some medicine. But, those medications did not work. My blood test came back n...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems like two of your joint sites (fingers and elbow) are involved, which could happen in the different type of arthritis. Some of the arthritis can cause low platelets. Kindly please give me the following extra information. How long do you have the finger poppin...  Read Full »

Though dengue is negative, platelet count is going down with fever. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, My son is five years old, and he was suffering from fever, headache and body pain. He also had some rashes on his face and in some parts of the hands and legs. His fever was ranging from 101 to 102.5 degrees. After a couple of days, on medication, his temperature became normal between 97...  Read Full »
Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The report suggests some form of viral infection (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have ruled out dengue. He has platelets of 160000 platelets per microliter of blood, and it is in a normal range. There is no medicine available to increase platelet c...  Read Full »

What is the cause for low platelet count?
Query: Hi doctor, God blessed me with a baby boy before three months. This is my second child. I faced many problems such as diabetes, before two years back. I had low platelet counts before six months when I took a test for CBC. Three days before delivery, my platelet count was 44000 per microliter of bl...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fever with a headache can occur in viral infection. Viral infection can affect the platelet count and can lead to low platelet count. Symptomatic management is done with Paracetamol and maintain your hydration. Your peripheral smear examination, a liver profile is a...  Read Full »

I have fever, red rashes, and low platelet count. Is it dengue fever?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old female, who weighs 24 kg and 5.3 feet tall. I have had a fever since last week. The fever was between 38 to 40o C. I also had headaches and lower back pain. Today I got tested for dengue, but that was negative. However, on my torso, neck, and face, there are these red r...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It could be dengue or any other viral infection. The presentation of all viral fevers is almost same. And any viral infection can cause low platelets count, and dengue is known for it. During the first 4 to 5 days of fever, dengue NS1 antigen will be positive,...  Read Full »

Can you help with my daughter's low platelet count?
Query: Hi doctor, My 12 year old daughter was fatigued and had blue blotches over her body. The doctor locally ordered blood tests, and the results showed low platelet count of 50000. They administered Cortisone of 30 mg a day for two weeks, and the count went up to 100000. The doctor reduced Cortisone to...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your child is having low platelet count and blue blotch over the body. The skin discoloration can be from low platelet as thrombocytopenia can lead mucosal bleeding. If it seems cyanotic patches on examination then cardiac, respiratory and vascular causes need to be sear...  Read Full »

My 9 month old son is suffering from low platelet count. Please help.
Query: Hi doctor, My son is 9 months old. He had a high fever and low platelet count (70 k). We admitted him immediately and done blood platelet transfusion (100 ml). The next day, the platelets went down to 16 k. He was discharged from the hospital when it came up to 95 k. Now after a week, the count wen...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the query (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your son's latest report shows neutrophilia. It is suggestive of bacterial infection. Further workup can be done in the form of CRP (C- reactive protein) estimation, blood culture, and flow ...  Read Full »

How can I cure cough and fever associated with low platelet count?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 27 years old, male. My problem started five months back. Due to viral fever, my platelets count is low. The report is attached. This time I took antibiotics. Then my digestion system got poor. After some days I started suffering from cold and cough and fever. This time I am not f...  Read Full »
Dr. Albana Greca
Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To me, the changes are due to viral infection you have been experiencing all this while. Now, we should not rely on the complete blood count report only. Sometimes, there is a destruction of platelets due to chemicals inside the sample carrier. I think you should rep...  Read Full »

I need a second opinion regarding ITP.
Query: Hi doctor, My nephew has been unwell since few days. Since two weeks, he has small blood patches on thigh, calves and ankles. Petechial rash and bruising are also present. The doctors have diagnosed him with ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura). I am writing to you to get a second opinion. He ...  Read Full »
Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Isolated low platelet count with normal hemoglobin and CBC (complete blood count) usually is the key laboratory finding for ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura) as there in this case. It is the diagnosis of exclusion however. I need few more details about his medica...  Read Full »

How to improve the platelet count in dengue infection?
Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 8 years old. She has been suffering from fever for five days. Her fever is in the range of 99 to 102 degrees. When we visited a doctor, he asked for a blood test. The blood report shows that she is positive for dengue. The platelet count has dropped already to 52000 from 1,...  Read Full »
Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through the data you have posted. Low platelet count occurs in almost 70% of people with dengue fever. Normally, in case of disease the platelet count may go low for four to five days and then starts rising. Low platelet count (<100000) has risk of bl...  Read Full »

Can Vitamin B12 improve my low platetlet count?
Query: Hello doctor, I have a history of low platelet count for the last 15 years. My latest count was 4000 cells per microliter. I have not undergone any treatment for this problem. My B12 level is 26.2 pg/ml, biological reference interval is 25.1 - 165, serum ferritin is 12.0 and hemoglobin is 11.0. I r...  Read Full »
Dr. Smrita Singh
Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Vitamin B12 deficiency is a very rare cause of thrombocytopenia (low platelet count) and usually, the counts are not very low as in your case. Since your vitamin B12 levels are towards the lower range of normal and bordering on deficiency, you can take vitamin B12 su...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Low Platelet Count? We have medical experts to help you right away.