Low Wbc Count

Related Terms: Fever, Leukemia, Complete Blood Count, Low Platelet Count, High Lymphocyte Count, High Wbc Count, Protein Rich Diet

Can Eptoin cause reduced WBC count if taken during fever?
Query: Hello doctor, My niece got a fever for the past eight days. Also, low WBC count. The doctors tried all the tests, antibiotics and medicines, but still, the fever is not controlled. She got fits 15 days back and the doctors prescribed Eptoin tablets. My question is whether Eptoin reduce the white bl...  Read Full »
Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would explain that Eptoin (Phenytoin) is a drug used to treat or prevent seizures. It does not usually affect WBC, but very rarely (like all the drugs) it can cause suppression of the blood cell formation in the bone marrow. The low WBC ...  Read Full »

What can cause low WBC count?
Query: Hi doctor, My father-in-law is 58 years old. He had a stroke a year back and has been diagnosed with non-critical CAD. Within a period of two months, his WBC count has reduced from a range of 7.5 to 2.8. But, there is no sign of infection. The overall count of ANC is more than 1000 and platelets are...  Read Full »
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my findings are as follows. Your dad is suffering with macrocytic anemia along with leukopenia (low level WBC) and pancytopenia (deficiency of RBC, WBC and platelet). There is only a slight decrease in the number of platelets, so you need not worry. ...  Read Full »

My little child has fever and low WBC count. Can it be dengue fever?
Query: Hello doctor, My 3 years and 6 months old daughter was suffering from a fever of about 100 to 102 for the past three days. She had rashes throughout her whole body. We had blood tests performed and the results were negative for dengue. But, the WBC and the platelet count reduced gradually in the las...  Read Full »
Dr. Preeti Puranik
Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This can happen in a viral fever also. But it is always better to repeat the test after 48 hours to make sure about the WBC (white blood cell) count and the platelet count status. There are other dengue-like viruses where dengue test comes negative b...  Read Full »

What is your opinion about the slightly low WBC count?
Query: Hi doctor, I had a blood test a few weeks ago. Everything came back within normal range except my white blood cell count. It was slightly low (3.7) and the normal range at my laboratory is 3.8 to 10.8. The test was done because I had mild hypertension and was put on Amlodipine. I have since gone of...  Read Full »
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: WBC (white blood cell) count varies with time of collection, method of collection and methods of counting. If there is large variation like less than 1500,...  Read Full »

Is it possible to start or continue chemotherapy at very low WBC counts?
Query: Hello doctor,I want to have an opinion about my daughter's (8 years old) chemotherapy treatment for B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. I want to know that is it possible to start or continue chemotherapy at very low counts of WBC and WBC differential.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your child is having B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. In that case, to induce remission, induction chemotherapy should be given to restore normal bone marrow. After induction, maintenance chemotherapy also to be given. Your total count might be low because of che...  Read Full »

Why is my WBC and neutrophil count low and liver enzymes high?
Query: Hi doctor, I got a complete blood profile done about two weeks ago, and my doctor said that my reports were normal. But, my WBC and neutrophil count were low. After doing some internet searches, I am anxious. Although the doctor said it was fine, he gave me some supplements. But lately, I have bee...  Read Full »
Dr. Amit Shivraj Dhamankar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From your history, I think the reason for your low WBC is stress and raised liver enzymes is because of fatty liver, which is a benign condition. Moderately low WBC coun...  Read Full »

Should I worry about sudden drop in neutrophil and WBC count?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old woman. I have recently lost a pregnancy at 19 weeks due to membrane rupture. I had induced abortion with Misoprostol two weeks back and there is no complication since. I have had a CBC done almost every week from the starting of my pregnancy and they were all absolutely...  Read Full »
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: The WBC count (white blood cell) varies on day-to-day and hourly basis and also depending on variable internal factors. Corticosteroids can affect WBC count, particularly neutrophils. At present, maybe due to stress, which in...  Read Full »

Why am I having severe constipation after sigmoidectomy?
Query: Hi doctor, I have had small cysts in the past that would come and go during childbearing or menstruating years. I also have IgA deficiency, chronic inflammatory arthritis, autoimmune hypothyroid and low WBC count. My present condition is, for past several weeks I have been having pain in the lower l...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms and an abdominal lump in the left lower abdomen with constipation and bladder symptoms with bloating and decreased appetite do indicate a possibility of a large adrenal mass which could be a developing and growing ovarian cyst or mass, which should be ...  Read Full »

Can vitamin deficiency lead to decreased WBC count?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 56 years old. My body mass index is 21. I used to smoke for around 19 years and I stopped it before four years. I had my blood test done last week. My white blood cell count is 3.4 and I have attached the reports with this. What test should I do in order to figure out the cause of ...  Read Full »
Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have thoroughly gone through your case and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can well understand your genuine health concerns.  Read Full »

A 21 year old male fainted suddenly after a party. Please guide us.
Query: Hello doctor, This query is regarding a 21 year old male having no health complications in the past who suddenly fainted after a party. We took him to our GP for the check up. The GP found nothing wrong and advised rest. However, we went to the lab on our own and carried out CBC. WBC count was high...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The diagnosis in your case is lymphocytosis. The underlying cause for the lymphocytosis should be searched for. For that, a detailed physical examination should be done and liver, spleen and lymph nodes should be palpated. Infectious mononucleosis, viral influenza, h...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Low Wbc Count? We have medical experts to help you right away.