Melanocyte

Related Terms: Melanocytic Nevi, Mole, Melanoma, Features Of Melanoma, Laser, Nevus, Skin Biopsy

I got a shave biopsy for melanoma in situ. Did the cancer cells get into my bloodstream?
Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about the biopsy that I had done. It was a shave biopsy, and it came back as melanoma in situ. I got a wide excision done, and it looks like there is still some of this mole left that was missed by the shave. If there was still melanoma cells in this left over part of...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and concern. Melanoma is a malignancy of pigment-producing cells (melanocytes), located predominantly in the skin. The careful examination of lymph nodes can be determined by the staging of melanoma and the metastasis, that is, spread to other body...  Read Full »

Ways to Prevent Skin Pigmentation Disorders
Article Overview: Human skin color is due to melanin present in the skin, which is a brown color pigment present inside melanocytes. Different races have different amounts of pigment in them.  Read Article »
Dr. Rabia

Human skin color is due to melanin present in the skin, which is a brown color pigment present inside melanocytes. Different races have different amounts of pigment in them. Apart from melanin, other substances like carotene and hemoglobin also impart color to the skin. According to the skin color, ...  Read Article »

My daughter has a vertical dark streak along her finger nail. What do you suggest?
Query: Hello doctor,My daughter has a vertical dark streak along her nail on the middle finger only. It has been there for three months now. There is no known trauma.Could I ask what you suggest we should do? It seems to be darker than before. We went to a dermatologist and they told us not to worry becaus...  Read Full »
Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. At present, she is suffering from longitudinal melanonychia. It is due to the overactivity of the melanocytes, leading to more melanin synthesis. At present, there is no sign of malignancy. Nevertheless, a biopsy is required to confirm the diagnosis. Hope it helps. Re...  Read Full »

Why does nevus recur?
Query: Hi doctor, About a year ago, I had nevus excision. Neither shaving nor laser, it was total excision. But two days ago I have realized that the nevus has come back there along the edges of the scar, the same shape of the scar. The biopsy report of the first one is compound nevus and there is nothin...  Read Full »
Dr. Shaunak Patel

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your complaint and gone through the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Any nevus is a collection of melanocytes that are able to multiply violently. Hence, even if a small section is left it can potentially regrow. You can go for ellipt...  Read Full »

I have a line of white and black patches in gums. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, I have a line of white and black patches in my lower gums. What could it be?  Read Full »
Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your chief complaint and attachment show pigmentation which can be due to various reasons (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Physiological due to the activity of hormones MSH (melanocyte-stimulating hormone) or taking any kind of drugs like Minocycline, m...  Read Full »

Used home remedy to remove mole and it remains as a pinkish scar. Why?
Query: Hello doctor, About 15 months ago, I used apple cider vinegar as a home remedy to remove a mole from the back of my calf. I applied the apple cider vinegar to the mole daily until it formed a scab, which later fell off leaving pink skin underneath. There is still a pinkish scar, which is very slowl...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Although the pictures are not clear (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can perceive it as the junctional nevus. Using vinegar cause irritant reaction and thus causing the destruction of melanocytes, but unfortunately this method is not precise and does n...  Read Full »

Does the mole on my back look like seborrheic keratosis?
Query: Hi doctor, I have an ugly mole on my back. I saw a dermatologist about a year ago. I am sure he looked at this and I thought he may be said it was an S.K. but it does appear to have gotten darker than I remember it. It looks different than my other moles. A bit concerned.  Read Full »
Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Clinically, this looks like SK, seborrheic keratosis, it is not a mole (attachment removed to protect patient identity). SK is a benign growth of epidermal cell called keratinocyte. Whereas a mole or benign nevus is the benign growth of melanocyte. In the picture, It ha...  Read Full »

Is laser hair removal safe for someone with acne?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21-year-old man. I would like to ask your opinion about laser hair removal. I have read a lot in the last days and almost everywhere it is said that it is not bad for your health and body and one of the best ways to deal with hair. I am thinking about doing laser removal of hai...  Read Full »
Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The laser is a safe, painless and permanent method to get rid of unwanted hairs. It is called laser hair reduction to be more precise. Let me explain to you how this laser works: When the laser is passed through the skin, it targets melanocyte (pigment-producing...  Read Full »

Please suggest some treatment for vitiligo.
Query: Hello doctor, I have vitiligo on my face, and my skin and hair are turning white. This is a major problem for me. Please suggest some treatment. What should I do?  Read Full »
Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For vitiligo, there are many lines of management. If the patch is unstable, then oral medications can be advised. But if the vitiligo patch is stable, that is no change in the size of the patch over six months, then surgery can be done to re-pigment the viti...  Read Full »

Why has the color of my skin changed?
Query: Hello doctor, After working out at a gym for three months, the color of my skin has changed. It is darker now as compared to earlier. I want to know the reason behind this and the solution of this problem too.  Read Full »
Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern very well, but let me make it very clear to you that working out in the gym will not have any sort of effect on skin color. Going to the gym is a step closer to a healthy life. Skin color is determined by melanin, a color pigment which...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Melanocyte? We have medical experts to help you right away.