Meningitis

Related Terms: Headache, Epilepsy, Neuropathy, Sinusitis, Csf, Eeg, Fits

My mother had TB meningitis and is now suspected to have tubercular spine. Help.
Query: Respected doctor, My 63 year old mother was diagnosed with tuberculosis meningitis (TBM) 10 months ago when she complained of a severe headache. She has undergone CSF study and the report of the study is attached. She has been taking ATT medicines since then. The list of all the medicines she is tak...  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post which has nicely described the events. Also, I reviewed her reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If she has received ATT (antitubercular therapy) for tubercular meningitis 10 months ago, it is highly unlikely that she has ...  Read Full »

My brother is in coma with fungal meningitis. Will he recover?
Query: Hi doctor, My brother has fungal meningitis and is in a coma. Initially, he responded to the commands, but after him having a tracheostomy and a feeding tube put in him; he is not responding to our words. What do you think? Is there a possibility of recovery? Will he wake up?  Read Full »
Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fungal meningitis has poor outcome compared to viral or bacterial meningitis. Such fungal infection usually occurs when body immunity is low due to any reason. Sometimes, there may be some permanent cellular level damage to brain cells by such infection. But, do not lo...  Read Full »

How to treat headaches caused by tuberculous meningitis?
Query: Hello doctor, My father was suffering from fever and right sided headaches, which felt like an electric shock. So, we consulted a doctor, and after several tests, the doctor diagnosed it as tubercular meningitis. All the test including CT scan were normal. So, he prescribed Forcox, Benadon, and Uri...  Read Full »
Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know few more details. Since when is he on tuberculosis medicines? Since when is he having fever and headaches? How long does one episode of the headache last? Does he have any nausea or vomiting during the headache? Does this headache increase on lyin...  Read Full »

Does my MRI show any evidence of mastoiditis, meningitis or subdural empyema?
Query: Hello doctor,My symptoms are extreme nausea, headache (mainly right posterior), and very stiff neck. I started with a severe middle ear infection on the right side. Does my MRI show any evidence of mastoiditis, meningitis or a subdural empyema?  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your MRI scan images are available and I have viewed it (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is a mild bright abnormal signal intensity in the right mastoid area and the left side is clear. Abnormal signal in mastoiditis means brighter on T2 and contr...  Read Full »

I have a rash on my back. Is it a sign of meningitis?
Query: Hi doctor, I had a pink rash on my lower back. I had a glass on and put pressure on it, and it fade. Is it a sign of meningitis? I do not have fever or headache. I feel weak at 6 PM, and my neck feel so heavy.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is highly unlikely to be a meningitis. Meningitis presenting only with rash and no other symptoms like headache, fever, etc., is unlikely. Meningococcal meningitis has rash in some cases, but patient will be very sick and toxic. So, do not worry about meningitis. Weakn...  Read Full »

What could be causing extreme lymph node pain in the neck?
Query: Hi doctor, What could be causing the extreme pains in my lymph nodes under my neck and tingling the in head? Should I see a doctor in person? I had a sinus infection a month ago when the neck pains suddenly appeared. I was given antibiotics. It got rid of my other sinus symptoms, but not the lymph ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The first possibility of meningitis is unlikely. It would cause fever, severe headache and patient will be very sick. I do not think this to be a lymph node pain because lymph nodes will hurt only when they enlarge in a short duration of maximum one or two wee...  Read Full »

I need a second opinion regarding my daughter's fever treatment. Please guide me.
Query: Hello doctor, My one year old daughter had a fever for four days, with one episode of seizure on the fourth day which lasted less than a minute. There was no post ictal confusion or drowsiness. At first, the doctors started with Ceftriaxone and Amikacin for four days, then a lumbar puncture was don...  Read Full »
Dr. Deepak Patel
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. From the symptoms and investigations, your child is most probably having meningitis. The first line of treatment is Ceftriaxone and Amikacin. This covers the most common organism for meningitis at this age. The blood cultu...  Read Full »

What are the symptoms of listeria?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 33 weeks pregnant now. I had slight fever and muscle aches recently. I am scared about listeria while pregnant. Could you please tell me the symptoms of listeria? Also if it is listeria, how long will it take to affect the baby? I need some advice about listeria please.  Read Full »
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Symptoms of mild listeriosis include fever, muscle ache, nausea and diarrhea. Rarely in severe cases, there is meningitis. You should have a history of taking infected raw milk, cheese, vegetables or meat. Pregnancy with listeriosis needs treatment as fetus can be infect...  Read Full »

What is the reason behind neutropenia in an infant?
Query: Hello doctor, My baby boy is 3.5 months old. When he was 38 days old, he got a fever. I went to the hospital and the doctor said any infant who has fever without any other symptoms may have meningitis and so lumbar puncture was performed. It was positive and the WBC was 570 (clear), monomorph 80% an...  Read Full »
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: Your baby boy probably had viral meningitis looking at the positive WBC and high monomorph along with a negative culture. Now, that he does not have any f...  Read Full »

4 year old is suffering from brain infection. Is there any problem now or in future?
Query: Hello doctor, My niece who is 4 years old is suffering from a brain infection. She also had a spinal tap test and diagnosed with a high infection. Suggest me the best specialist doctor for this. Is there any serious problem now or in the future?  Read Full »
Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The reports you sent me do not show normal values beside the observed values (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From what I can understand, this would have been a case of viral meningitis. If the child did not have any serious life-threatening episode...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Meningitis? We have medical experts to help you right away.