Metformin

Related Terms: Diabetes, Hba1c, Diabetes Management, Diabetes Medicine, Control Diabetes, Glimepiride, Diabetes Mellitus

How does Metformin help in conception?
Query: Hi doctor, Recently, my wife had a fasting sugar level test. The insulin (fasting serum plasma chemiluminescence) was shown as 9.3 mcu/mL. We had recently consulted a gynecologist who said that the result is very near to borderline case and prescribed Metformin 500 mg tablets. As per the diagnostic ...  Read Full »
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The latest recommendations of the American Diabetic Association include prescribing Metformin to prediabetic patients, those who are at high risk of developing diabetes especially if under 60 years of age. Both, Metformin and lifestyle modifications as exercising...  Read Full »

How effective is Metformin 1000 mg a day in controlling sugar levels?
Query: Hello doctor, I had my glucose over 600 mg/dl for about a month. I went to the ER and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. They put me on Metformin 500 mg twice daily. I have been taking it for almost two weeks, and my fasting glucose levels are not going under 300 mg/dl. I do not have the doctor's a...  Read Full »
Dr. Suneetha B S
Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome back to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Going by your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it looks like you need an increase in the dose of medication. Your doctor may either choose to increase the dose of Metformin or to add another new drug to the exi...  Read Full »

Can I use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss?
Query: Hello doctor, I read over the internet that tablet Metformin helps decrease the weight and prevents the onset of diabetes. Both my parents are diabetics and I weigh 70 kg. Hence, I want to use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss. Yesterday, I took 500 mg and I do not feel any problem...  Read Full »
Dr. Akshay Upadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you do not take the tablet if you are not clinically diagnosed as diabetic as it could lead to serious problems. I would strongly advise you to not to take it anymore. To prevent diabetes, one has to change the lifestyle like diet, and have to do exercise or ...  Read Full »

What is the recommended dose of Metformin for my sugar levels?
Query: Hi doctor, My age is 33 and weight is 80 kg. My glycosylated fasting sugar 106 and postprandial is 115. Will Metformin help me to lose weight? Which medicine is better, either Metformin or Metformin extended release? How much dosage should I take?  Read Full »
Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your sugar reports, it is confirmed that you are not diabetic. But, you are prone to get diabetes as fasting sugar is impaired and normally it should be less than 100. So, I would recommend you lifestyle modification like exercise for at least 30 minutes per day fo...  Read Full »

Is it common to gain weight and then lose weight with Metformin?
Query: Hi doctor,I was told I have PCOS after a scan but after telling the doctors something was wrong as I kept gaining weight. I was put on Metformin but I started gaining even more weight so I stopped taking it. My facial hair increased and I still had very slow weight loss. I then started taking it aga...  Read Full »
Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). Yes, it is common to have weight loss with Metformin therapy and it is actually very good for you. You see Metformin decreases insulin resistance whi...  Read Full »

Suffering from PCOD and taking medicines, but still it has not reduced. Can you help ?
Query: Dear Doctor, I am a 29 year old female suffering from PCOD, taking medicines from past 1 year. But still it has not reduced. I was into Metformin and Folic acid. At the same time I have also taken medicines for conception (i.e, clomiphene). Follicar study has been conducted for four times and only ...  Read Full »
Dr. Richa Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Metformin is a very effective medicine in PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disease) treatment. It reduces weight, increases sensitivity to insulin and decreases androgen level. All these effects are helpful in the treatment of PCOD. But as you say it is not effective in your ...  Read Full »

Can I substitute Amaryl tablet with Kombiglyze tablet?
Query: Hello doctor, I am currently on Amaryl 2 mg. As I will be traveling shortly, to a country where I am told Amaryl is not available, but Kombiglyze is available there. Is it okay to take this substitute?  Read Full »
Dr. Sreejith Mg
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Amaryl has Metformin 500 mg and Glimepiride 2 mg and Kombiglyze contains Metformin and Saxagliptin. Both combinations are different, so the level of sugar control will be different. Glimepiride is a sulfonylurea and Saxagliptin is a DPP4 (Dipeptidyl peptidase 4) inhibitor...  Read Full »

How long will it take to correct PCOD and conceive?
Query: Hi doctor, I had a missed abortion one year back and we have been trying for about eight months for the next pregnancy. My period lags regularly for three to four weeks after the abortion. An ultrasound scan showed typical PCOD on both ovaries with 9 mm follicles and have 5 mm endometrial thicknes...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have been prescribed Metformin drug for your case which is prescribed in case of PCOD to decrease glucose level and to regularise the period. If needed, a hormonal pill also can be prescribed. Clomiphene citrate helps in inducing ovulation. So, continue taking t...  Read Full »

How to monitor diabetes?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old male. My height is 168 cm and weight is 65 kg. I was diagnosed as diabetic one year ago with HbA1c 7.8 and fasting sugar 163. Then I took Kombiglyze XR 1000 mg one tablet a day four months. Then the test revealed HbA1c of 6.6 and fasting sugar 108. Then my doctor reduc...  Read Full »
Dr. Hariharan V
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Instead of Kombiglyze (combination of Saxagliptin and Metformin hydrochloride extended release) take tablet Tenepride (Teneligliptin) and also take Metformin (Exermet or Glyciphage) extended release 1000 mg in the afternoon. Get an x-ray of the pain region and upload it w...  Read Full »

My sugar levels are high. What to do next?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41 year old female. I had GDM 9 years back with twin pregnancy. Post-delivery for few months my blood sugars were normal. Later l was started on tablet Metformin 500 mg SR bd along with diet control. Last year l was started on tablet Atenolol 5 mg od. l feel fatigue even after...  Read Full »
Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your blood sugars are quite high and the dose of medication (Metformin 500 mg twice a day) is becoming inadequate for you.  You need to be started on stronger medicine. I would recommend you to take tablet Glycomet GP1 (Glimepiride and Metformin combination) in the morni...  Read Full »

{{item.dr_name}}
{{item.sp}}  

Do you have a question on Metformin? We have medical experts to help you right away.