Metronidazole

Related Terms: Vaginal Swab, Diarrhea, Ofloxacin, Probiotics, Amoxicillin, Clindamycin, Constipation

Is it safe to take tablet Metronidazole 5 hours after drinking alcohol?
Query: Hello Doctor, I took tablet Metronidazole 5 hours after I had taken 20 ml of red wine. What can I do now?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Metronidazole and alcohol interaction causes disulfiram-like reaction. This leads to nausea, vomiting, tachycardia (increased heartbeat), shortness of breath, etc. If you had consumed red wine 5 hours before the drug intake, then it is all right. There is nothing much to fear. You may have n...  Read Full »

Can I switch from Metronidazole to Soolantra cream for rosacea?
Query: Hello doctor, I live in a tropical country, where the exposure to the sun is too much. My skin used to be fair before moving to this country. Back in my country, I used to never go out in the sun. After I moved here, my skin is burnt. It was red at first, and then the blood vessels were visible. I s...  Read Full »
Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Indeed your images (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are more in favor of acne rosacea. This is a chronic and recurrent condition characterized by erythema with flushing sensation, predominantly affecting the cheeks. The management of rosacea needs to be h...  Read Full »

Will taking Metronidazole and Tergynan affect baby during pregnancy?
Query: Hello doctor, I am six weeks pregnant. Before knowing that I was pregnant, I was treated for recurrent bacterial vaginosis with Metronidazole orally and Tergynan vaginally for a week approximately on weeks 4 to 5 of pregnancy. How it can harm my baby? Cause I heard that it is contraindicated in fir...  Read Full »
Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are medications those can be advised in pregnancy as, during the antenatal period, many symptoms could occur that need to be treated. Metronidazole can be advised in pregnancy. So, do not worry and Tergynan is also antifungal antibiotic and it was advised locally,...  Read Full »

How much time will it take for liver abscess to get cured with Metronidazole?
Query: Hello doctor, I got reported as liver abscess and the size is 70 x 60 mm. The doctor's treatment is Metronidazole. How much time will it take to cure?  Read Full »
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have an amebic liver abscess, 6x7 cm is considered a large one. It is a protozoal infection that has spread from colon to liver. Medications treat the abscess in most cases, in a small number of cases surgery is required. Eradication of protozoal infection from the...  Read Full »

Having vaginal infection, Is it safe to use metronidazole cream during breastfeeding?
Query: Hello Doctor, I am 38 years old and I am breastfeeding my 1 year old child. I have been diagnosed with bacterial vaginal infection and prescribed metronidazole vaginal cream daily at bedtime for 5 days. Is it safe for me to continue nursing while using that medication?  Read Full »
Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have been diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis (bacterial vaginal infection). Metronidazole cream has to be applied vaginally for cure of the infection. Vaginal application leads to absorption of metronidazole, but it is only 2% of the oral dose. Only...  Read Full »

Would antibiotics affect birth control?
Query: Hi doctor, I had an appendectomy last week and they have started me on antibiotics, Flagyl, through an IV. Would this affect my birth control? Should I be using other protection?  Read Full »
Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Flagyl (Metronidazole) as such has no effect on birth control. You need not take any extra precautions for the sake of Flagyl itself. But, if you were on pills earlier and had to discontinue due to surgery, then, of course, you need other protection. To know the metho...  Read Full »

My son throws up every time he has milk. Please suggest a treatment.
Query: Hello doctor, My son is three and a half years old. From the past 12 days, he vomits four or five minutes after drinking milk. This happens only in the mornings. He is fine if he drinks it at night. Please suggest a cure.  Read Full »
Dr. Deepak Patel
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest the following medicines: Syrup Oflomac-M (a combination of Ofloxacin and Metronidazole), 4 ml three times a day for three days to be taken half an hour after meals. Syrup Ondem (Ondansetron) 4 ml three times a day for three days to be taken half an hour befo...  Read Full »

Can Metrogyl cause tingling sensation in hands and feet?
Query: Hello doctor, I took the antibiotic Metrogyl for a bacterial vaginosis infection. It was a 7-day course which I completed four days back. Since then, I have had a tingling sensation in my hands and feet and a sort of achy numbness in my arms and legs. I had a blood test a week ago for something els...  Read Full »
Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms could be related to Metronidazole adverse effect. You should know that this drug can cause neuropathy as a possible adverse effect. For this reason, I recommend consulting with your attending doctor and performi...  Read Full »

I took Flagyl for a bowel infection and still do not feel better. Any suggestions?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 58 year old female. I was seen at the weekend by the emergency doctor and was diagnosed with a bowel infection. I was rehydrated and given IV Paracetamol and sent home with oral antibiotics - Flagyl 400 mg thrice daily and Tavanic 500 mg twice daily. I followed a diet of fluids...  Read Full »
Dr. Nazma Parveen

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your history and would like to tell you that Flagyl (Metronidazole) and Tavanic (Levofloxacin) generally cover bacterial and amoebic causes of dysentery. If I were your physician, I would have suggested you continue the antibiotic course for five d...  Read Full »

I get red pimples around my mouth, chin, forehead, and nose. How to get rid of them?
Query: Hello doctor, Around a year ago, some red pimples started appearing around my mouth, chin, forehead, and my nose. These small red pimples create a red area when seen from far away because they are very small and inflamed. It never disappears. My skin always feels stuck and not flexible and with a mi...  Read Full »
Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attached image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Do not apply Metronidazole gel, as there is also erythema over your face. I suggest you try doing the following. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start using the m...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Metronidazole? We have medical experts to help you right away.