Myopia

Related Terms: Spectacles, Lasik, Refractive Error, Contact Lens, Dry Eyes, Eye Checkup, High Eye Power

Having Myopia, Should I wear UV sunglasses only on prescription?
Query: Hello doctor, I am having myopia and I wear power glasses. My doubt is that can I wear UV sunglasses or should I go for prescribed sunglasses?  Read Full »
Dr. Asif Manzoor
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can use UV glasses in your prescribed glasses. Actually myopia (near sightedness and using minus glasses) is a separate issue. While UV glasses (ultraviolet) are just a filter incorporated in your glasses that absorb UV light from the sun. No matter you ar...  Read Full »

I have myopia -4 in power and I am not eligible for LASIK. Is this progressive?
Query: Hello doctor, I have myopia -4 in power and I am not eligible for LASIK. I am 25. Is this progressive? What long-term complications can be there as my cornea thickness is too low for LASIK surgery.  Read Full »
Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Even though your power of - 4 is well within the correctable range and your power has been stable for two years, your corneas were too thin on topography maps for surgery (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The doctors deferred surgery because, during ...  Read Full »

I have myopia. What can I do to reduce power and quit glasses completely?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old boy and I have myopia (2.5 approximately in both the eyes) and I am wearing glasses since two and a half years. Now, I am thinking to quit glasses. What best can I do to reduce the power and quit glasses completely?  Read Full »
Dr. Bhavna
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Myopia is a refractive error. The change in your refractive correction should be checked every six months to note any progression/improvement. Even a fundus examination is necessary. The refractive correction needed can be given either via spectacles or contact lens...  Read Full »

Is atropine recommended for progressive myopia?
Query: Hi doctor,My daughter is 6 years old. She has progressive myopia. She has a high spherical number in her right eye, which is -3.5 and left eye -1.75. She also has a constant cylindrical number which is -3.25 in the right eye and -2.25 in the left eye. According to her pediatric ophthalmologist, the ...  Read Full »
Dr. Chandrashekhar Kale
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Some studies show that atropine treatment prevents progression of myopia to some extent. Hence, some doctors recommend it for progressive myopia. However, 1% dosage is high. The actual dosage is 0.01%. This treatment needs to be continued till at least 14 to 15 years...  Read Full »

How to prevent headache in myopia?
Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from myopia. My vision has been degrading continuously and I have continuous headache. It disturbs me so much while studying. What should I do? Will it continue or it can be prevented cautiously?  Read Full »
Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Myopia is the most common refractive error at your age. At 17 years, progression of refractive error or your glass numbers is expected. So, do not worry. As your height grows, so does the length of eye ball in some cases. Please get your glasses remade with comfortable de...  Read Full »

What can be done to reduce myopia?
Query: Hello doctor, I have myopia problem, but day by day it is increasing. What should I do to reduce it?  Read Full »
Dr. Manish Mahabir
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Unfortunately, there is no proven treatment available for this condition. People have tried various treatments like intraocular pressure reducing drops, or atropine in children. It is a good practice to get your refraction done six-monthly as using improper glasses is a...  Read Full »

Is there any permanent solution for myopia?
Query: Hi doctor, I have a congenital squint problem. Till 12 to 13 years of age, my eyesight was good. Then, I developed myopia. It is mainly because of television. Now, I am 21 years old and have power glasses of -3.5. Is there any permanent solution for my condition? Please explain even if it is a surg...  Read Full »
Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no medication or food for improving eyesight or to get rid of glasses. If you are not interested in glasses, then you can try contact lens or LASIK (a laser eye surgery). As your age is 21, your number will not increase further. Whether you wear glasses or not,...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to use cod liver oil for myopia?
Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from myopia (-3.5 and -4 ). My age is 19 years old. Can I use cod liver oil?  Read Full »
Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that you are suffering from myopia of - 3.5D in your right eye and - 4D in your left eye. In case you want to use cod liver oil for reducing your glass power, I can tell you that it will not help. Myopia is a disease involving the refractive index, the c...  Read Full »

Diagnosed with spherical powers in eyes,How to control the progression of myopia?
Query: Hi doctor, My son is 5.5 years old, and he has been diagnosed with spherical powers of -3.5 and -4.0 in both eyes respectively. I am tensed considering his age. The local doctors say that the power will increase with age. How much would it increase? And are there any means to control it?  Read Full »
Dr. Chandrashekhar Kale
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your child has myopia and usually, minus spherical number increases with body growth and age. However, it is very difficult to predict how much it will increase nor are there any means to prevent it. He needs to wear his glasses constantly for maximum visual improvemen...  Read Full »

What are the chances of child having myopia if one parent has the same?
Query: Hello doctor, I have an eye power of -4 in both the eyes since school days. We are expecting our first child. Are there chances of similar eye problem in our child?  Read Full »
Dr. Dada Peer K
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having myopia of -4 dioptres in both the eyes since school days. The treatment for this condition includes: Use of spectacles. Use of contact lenses Laser refractive surgeries like LASIK. Refractive errors of more than -6 dioptres is called patholog...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Myopia? We have medical experts to help you right away.