Nerve Conduction Velocity

Related Terms: Ncv, Anxiety, Emg, Neuropathy, Peripheral Neuropathy, Tingling Sensation, Mri Spine

My feet is numb and tingly. Is it due to nerve entrapment?
Query: Hello doctor, Since 19 months, I have had severe problems with tingling in my feet. This started one week after a 27 km run, where I suddenly got pain in my feet and had to stop. The pain went away, but the tingling started in my left foot one week later. At first, some intermittent buzzing in the o...  Read Full »
Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If NCV (nerve conduction velocity) and EMG (electromyography) had been normal, there is possibility can be: Muscle fatigue. Ligament or soft tissue injury pain. Mild neuropraxia due to some soft tissue injury, which is not evident in NCV. Radiculopathy. I would like to...  Read Full »

My leg fell asleep two weeks ago with pins and needles feeling. Please advise.
Query: Hello doctor, My leg fell asleep two weeks ago and stayed asleep for days with pins and needle feeling constant. When the pins and needles stopped, the left side of my leg stayed asleep as well as my foot. I have foot drop on that side and it has been almost three weeks with no improvement. I had u...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The foot drop needs evaluation for the cause. You should get a nerve conduction velocity testing done. NCV test suggests that which particular nerve is involved and treatment would be based on that. My recommendations would be to get NCV first and in case that is normal...  Read Full »

Please help with my issues of numbness and vitamin deficiency.
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old male. I am from prickling, numbness, warm sensation in my feet and hands and tingling in my lips and mouth for the past two years. I had a severe cough for around two years and recently, it got resolved. My issue, initially started with prickling and burning sensations ...  Read Full »
Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your problem still could be due to a nerve problem, even though your NCV test is normal (nerve conduction velocity). Also, you might be having calcium deficiency, which is very common associated with vitamin D deficiency. I suggest you calcium supplements like tablet S...  Read Full »

I developed symptoms of autoimmunity after Hepatitis B vaccine. What to do?
Query: Hi doctor, Before the vaccinations, I was in good health and optimal fitness level. The Hepatitis B vaccine caused me an unresolved encephalopathy and symptoms of autoimmunity. It caused flu-like symptoms, including malaise, sore throat, diffuse musculoskeletal pain, extreme exhaustion, numbness of ...  Read Full »
Dr. Shobhit Shah

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most likely it is acute polyneuropathy. It is important to find the cause because treatment is based on it. Get an MRI of the spine and brain. Nerve conduction velocity of all four limbs. Meanwhile, you try taking tablet Neurobion Forte (Multivitamin), twice a day. Co...  Read Full »

Can carpal tunnel syndrome cause stiff neck and pain in arm?
Query: Hello doctor, Six months back I was diagnosed by two doctors and tests with carpal tunnel syndrome. The suggestion was to go for an operation which regretfully I delayed until recently. The symptoms got worse. Now I have an appointment next month with a specialist. Meanwhile, I have pins and needle...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Carpel tunnel syndrome will not cause any symptoms in the upper arm. However, it could be due to cervical nerve compression. This could be associated with or without the carpel tunnel syndrome independently. In my opinion, you should go for nerve conduction velocity NCV...  Read Full »

I feel a burning sensation in my fingers if I touch anything. Please advise.
Query: Hi doctor, I am diabetic and hypertensive. My problem is, if I touch anything with my fingers, I get a burning sensation and I drop it down. Please advise me on this.  Read Full »
Dr. Smit Uttam Janrao

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your complaints and previous history of diabetes, I think you are suffering from peripheral neuropathy secondary to diabetes mellitus. I will recommend some medications as mentioned below. Also, some investigations are to be performed. Investigations to be done ...  Read Full »

My symptoms of paresthesia persist even after decompression surgery. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, I have had a compressed nerve in the fibula head for almost 2 years following an operation to lengthen my right leg. The pain was only on and off seemingly after a certain activity. Over time, I could increase the activity level before getting the same symptoms, but then stop improving. M...  Read Full »
Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your question. The possible reason for persistent symptoms is there has been a longstanding compression on your nerves. So, the nerve would have been damaged subtly. It may not be that extensive damage, which would be demonstrated in the NCV study (nerve con...  Read Full »

What can be done for numb and swollen feet and legs?
Query: Hello doctor, I am contacting you on behalf of my grandmother who is suffering from a number of issues and advice from her regular doctors is not coming up with a decent solution. I have asked her to write down from her point of view about the problems and here it is. Ailments are diabetic, chronic...  Read Full »
Dr. Koushik Mukherjee

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms you are stating may be due to peripheral neuropathy due to diabetes or major depression. Also, there may be associated hypothyroidism. Diabetes affects small nerves of the extremities and results in a non-specific sensory complaint like you stated. Did she ...  Read Full »

I have twitching of different muscles. Can I be sure it is not ALS?
Query: Hello doctor,The last week and a half every few minutes, I got a muscle twitch in random parts of my body. My left eye twitches more constantly than that. I have general anxiety and major health anxiety which I am wondering can play a role. I have no muscular weakness at all, and no atrophy fro...  Read Full »
Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Frequent muscle twitches without any muscle weakness or atrophy and normal reflexes can be due to anxiety. The other possibility can be benign fasciculation syndrome. But before labeling this, it is advisable to rule out other possible grave diseases. Let me ...  Read Full »

Why are my hands and feet cold and sweaty always?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old male, who weighs 200 lbs and 6 feet tall. I have been looking for my symptoms after watching a TV show. I know some things are not right with me, and I have been curious to find the cause. It could be one or more problems. Here is what is going on. I have cold hand ...  Read Full »
Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cold and sweaty hands and feet can happen in heart failure, anxiety, hyperthyroidism and shock. Numb feet, which are painful while walking can be due to neuropathy, nerve root compression at lumbosacral spine, or arterial occlusion in legs. The half closed eyel...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Nerve Conduction Velocity? We have medical experts to help you right away.