Nitrofurantoin

Related Terms: Uti, Urinary Tract Infection, Urine Culture, Uti Symptoms, Cranberry Juice, Urine Analysis, Cystitis

I have got pus cells and RBC in urine with fever and cramps. What does it indicate?
Query: Hello doctor, Pus cells 8 to 10, my urine RBC is 6 to 8 and now I have the menstrual period. I feel I have a fever and cramps in my left side leg and hips side feel pain little bit and headache. What does it mean?  Read Full »
Dr. Udaya Nath Sahoo

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your clinical history is concerned, please follow like this. Discuss with your doctor about the prescription medications like Nitrofurantoin to clear the infection and Paracetamol for pain and fever. Do follow lifestyle modifications like this. Drink plenty ...  Read Full »

What is the reason for splenomegaly during pregnancy?
Query: Hi doctor, My wife is suffering from pain around the uterus. She is 16 weeks pregnant. Her doctor suggested for a urine test and ultrasound scan. Urine infection was detected and using medicines for it. But, the ultrasound scan report came as splenomegaly and low lying placenta. This is our second b...  Read Full »
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which reveals a normal blood test with urine infection sensitive to Nitrofurantoin and two scans revealing a pregnancy with low lying or anterior placenta along with splenomegaly. Urinary...  Read Full »

Should I take Amikacin injections for my UTI?
Query: Hello doctor,I am a 36 year old female. I am currently breast feeding. I am suffering from severe UTI since 20 days. My gynecologist suggested Ceftum, Citralka, and Urispas for three days. After taking the course I was fine for two days. But, after two days, the UTI symptoms came back, but not as se...  Read Full »
Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are suffering from a urinary tract infection with E.coli. Nitrofurantoin is the correct medicine, as per your urine culture report. As the infection is severe, your symptoms...  Read Full »

Will UTI during pregnancy affect the baby?
Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with a UTI a few days back and prescribed Cephalexin 500 mg four times a day. I only have four pills left and some of my symptoms are gone but some still remain. I was told this is caused by strep B. I am 18 weeks pregnant and will be 19 weeks in a few days. I want the...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You may repeat the urinary routine microscopy test again and if the symptoms are still present, likely that you are resistant to Cephalexin and hence can be started on Nitrofurantoin 100 mg which is category B pregnancy drug and safe in pregnancy. It can be prophylacti...  Read Full »

Why is there continuous fever after ureteric stent removal?
Query: Hello doctor, My father had ureteric stent removal before one month. He had fever 101 F, pus cell 100 or more than that since month fever comes every week. Urine culture and sensitivity done. All antibiotics resistant except Nitrofurantoin. Fever episode is not subsiding in spite of taking antipyre...  Read Full »
Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all reports sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As per reports, he is still having a urine infection. What is his present creatinine? Since how long is he taking Nitrofurantoin? His DTPA shows only left kidney is functioning. The...  Read Full »

Please suggest some medicines for my wife's UTI and hematuria.
Query: Hi doctor, My 31 year old wife got UTI and hematuria last year, which got resolved after medication. Today she started having UTI symptoms like frequent urination with burning and pain. Please suggest some medicines.  Read Full »
Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. She needs to get these basic tests. Ultrasound of the abdomen. Urine routine and culture. CBC (complete blood count). Serum creatinine. For the time being, I suggest you try taking the following for the urinary tract infection (UTI): Tablet Niftran (Nitrofurantoin) 100 mg...  Read Full »

I have frequent urination and tests showed up 6 to 7 pus cells. Why?
Query: Hello doctor,I am having frequent urination and tests showed up pus cells 6 to 7. I am having this for three days. I am having a feeling of voiding it even if I just urinated like one minute ago only.  Read Full »
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your suffering. From what you mentioned, you have simple urinary tract infection. Symptoms of UTI are frequent urination, painful urination, and change in the color of urine. Treatment: Trimethoprim 200 mg tablet twice daily for five days (in case...  Read Full »

Can taking Levofloxacin for prostatitis cause permanent muscular and CNS effects?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29-year-old male. I have been complaining of symptoms of prostatitis for seven years with LUTS, fatigue, and pain as the main symptoms. The EPS shows more than 10 WBC per HPF and urine and prostatic cultures are negative. Semen culture was done twice in the last six months with th...  Read Full »
Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from chronic prostatitis. It is very difficult to treat. Ideally, prostatic massage and EPS or semen culture must be done. But, if you have an improvement with Levofloxacin, then you can take it. The side effects are if you take it for a very long d...  Read Full »

From the reports, kindly explain about my wife's burning sensation during urination.
Query: Hello doctor, My wife has been having a burning sensation of urine for more than a year now. Earlier, she took Taxim-O, but after stopping it, the burning sensation came back. When it comes, it stays for 5 hours or so. She feels very uncomfortable and hardly can move. She was advised to take Uroton...  Read Full »
Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen reports sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Though all reports are normal, ultrasound shows cystitis (urinary bladder wall inflammation). This could be a subclinical infection. As no specific cause is found, I suggest you a trial...  Read Full »

Other than UTI, what can cause urethral discomfort?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I was previously diagnosed with UTI for three to four times in the last two years. Now, I have a frequently occurring problem of itching and burning in my urethra about three to four times in a month. It stays for around 4 to 5 hours and slowly goes off after ...  Read Full »
Dr. Vivekanandan G
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, drinking 8 liters of water a day will harm your kidneys. Bring it down to not more than 3 liters per day. All burning sensation in urethra is not due to UTI (urinary tract infection). So, the next time when you develop urethral discomfort, please do a urine ...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Nitrofurantoin? We have medical experts to help you right away.