Omeprazole

Related Terms: Esomeprazole, Gastritis, Acid Reflux, Domperidone, Gerd, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, Pantoprazole

Omeprazole
Article Overview: Omeprazole belongs to the proton pump inhibitors group of drugs. It works by decreasing stomach acid because of which, it is used in conditions like gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), indigestion, and stomach ulcers caused by bacteria Helicobacter pylori.  Read Article »
Dr. K Sneha

Overview of Omeprazole Omeprazole belongs to the proton pump inhibitors group of drugs. It works by decreasing stomach acid because of which, it is used in conditions like gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), indigestion, and stomach ulcers caused by bacteria Helicobacter pylori. It relieves sym ...  Read Article »

Could Omeprazole cause changes in ECG and increase the heart rate?
Query: Hi doctor, Please read my query and give me your best opinion. I am currently under a cardiologist due to fears that I have had a heart attack in the past and chronic chest discomfort. My cardiologist asked me to take a Holter monitor for 24-hours and the reports he gave me last week were normal. He...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Anxiety and panic are the first possibilities. Sudden onset of palpitations is a very unusual sign of heart attack. None of the investigation and symptoms are compatible with the heart attack. Although there are some ECG changes like Q waves, which can be present, are ...  Read Full »

Does Omeprazole 20 mg have side effects?
Query: Hello doctor,I have been suffering from symptoms of gastritis now for over a week. However, I took a capsule of Omeprazole 20 mg, and there seems to be a considerable relief, and I feel a lot better. Is it possible that one capsule can do this? Also, I have read online that Omeprazole can be associ...  Read Full »
Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor. It will decrease the acid production in the stomach and relieve the symptoms rapidly. The worries like pneumonia or so are very very less. It is usually a safe drug. For more information consult a general medicine phys...  Read Full »

Omeprazole for gastritis like symptoms
Query: Hi doctor, I have suffered from gastritis-like symptoms for about a week now. I have an occasional mild tummy ache and nausea which is relieved by belching. I have suffered from acute gastritis now for several years, although I cannot be 100 % certain why. I tested positive for the h. pylori bacteri...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.You seem to be suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) associated with gastritis. Yes, you can take Omeprazole 20 mg. Once a day would be enough. There are no major side effects. There is no indication for taking triple therapy for h.pylori again. I advise the fol...  Read Full »

Is it safe to take Omeprazole when breastfeeding?
Query: Hello doctor, I am nursing a 2 month old, and I was told that I need to take Omeprazole. I have gallstones. So, my question is, is it safe to take 40 mg Omeprazole once daily while breastfeeding? My PCP says I should not, but the baby's pediatrician said it is alright. So, I am not sure what to do.  Read Full »
Dr. Sujata Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Every drug taken by the mother will affect the baby. Omeprazole has fewer side effects, but it is not thoroughly studied for a breastfeeding mother. So, it is best that you take it on and off. Gallstones do not necessarily require Omeprazole. I suggest you avo...  Read Full »

Though I am on treatment for stomach pain, the pain persists. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, I had severe back pain and stomach pain two days ago. I visited my family physician, and he prescribed me Omcar 40 mg along with other medicines. He advised me to take Omcar 40 mg in the empty stomach daily morning, but I took it after lunch and dinner by mistake. Since last 3 hours, I a...  Read Full »
Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Omeprazole (Omcar) and all other proton pump inhibitors are very safe medicines and can be taken for years without any side effect. As you are having pain, antispasmodics like tablet Cibis (combination of Clidinium, Chlordiazepoxide, and Dicyclomine) can be taken thrice...  Read Full »

Is GERD(Gastroesophageal reflux disease) curable permanently through medicines?
Query: Dear Doctor, Is GERD curable through medicines permanently? If yes, kindly prescribe the medicines. I have consulted many doctors and taken tablets, but after a few days it is troubling again. Please prescribe some permanent solution to this.  Read Full »
Dr. E Venkata Ramana
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) can be treated effectively with medications like omeprazole, pantoprazole, and with combination of prokinetic drugs like domperidone. In addition to drugs, the modification of life style is important such as: Eating small quanti...  Read Full »

Can H.pylori infection be treated with injectable antibiotics?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with an H.pylori infection. My current symptoms are an inability to eat properly, excessive burping, and restlessness. My doctor advised taking Cravit and Amoxicillin, along with Pantoprazole as an acid reducer. Just after one doze of antibiotics, I have severe...  Read Full »
Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Injectable therapy is available for H.pylori infection, and it is more efficacious as compared to oral treatment. Injectable therapy include. Injection Omeprazole 80 mg stat, followed by 40 mg twice a day for three days, intravenously. Injection Ampicillin 1.5 gm stat, f...  Read Full »

Why am I having frequent chest pains and shortness of breath?
Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18 year old male, and I am overweight. I have been having sharp upper right chest pains, that are very frequent. I did not have them before, but I started getting them recently. At first, I was having shortness of breath, and it felt as if someone was standing on my chest. But...  Read Full »
Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your chest pain is a result of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Cardiac chest pain increases during respiration and comes with other symptoms like palpitations, etc. Omeprazole and Baclofen that your physician prescribed should reduce the symptoms you a...  Read Full »

I have nausea, black stools, belly pain and gas. What could it be?
Query: Hello doctor,I am a female, 58, 5'10", 239lbs. I am having nausea every morning. It comes and goes during the day. I also have black stools, belly pain, and gas. I am on Lexapro 10 mg, Pramipexole 3 mg, Lamotrigine 25 mg twice daily and 200 mg once, Meloxicam 15 mg, Metformin 500 mg, Gabapentin 300 ...  Read Full »
Dr. Anantha Narayanan.n

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are suggestive of upper gastrointestinal intestinal bleed. Please stop Meloxicam 15 mg tablet immediately. I suggest you take proton pump inhibitor medication like Omeprazole 40 mg tablet straightaway and take preferably cold water. Please check with a...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Omeprazole? We have medical experts to help you right away.