Opioids

Related Terms: Drug Addiction, Addiction, Codeine, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Drug Abuse, Itching, Tramadol

Opioid Addiction and Abuse
Article Overview: Opioids have been used as pain relief medication for the past several centuries. But, in today’s age, apart from its medicinal use, they are also being taken recreationally, leading to rampant abuse and the growing menace of opioid addiction. This has severe implications on physical as well as psychological (mental) health.  Read Article »
Dr. Ajay Singh

Opioids are the derivatives of the plant Papaver somniferum, commonly known as the poppy husk. They are medically used as analgesics to relieve moderate to severe pain. They Are Classified As Natural opioids: those which occur naturally such as Codeine, and Thebaine. Semisynthetic opioids: th ...  Read Article »

I am taking Valium. Should I enquire about alternative to opioids before undergoing a surgery?
Query: Hi doctor, I am going to undergo a laparoscopic fundoplication surgery after a week for severe GERD. For the past two months, I am taking Valium 5 mg for severe anxiety (mainly related to my health) three times daily. I am also taking Omeprazole 80 mg daily for several months. I recently came acro...  Read Full »
Dr. Kiran Kumar Kolla Gopalkrishna
Anesthesiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please convey your medical history to the anesthetist when you have a pre-anesthetic consultation. I am sure that they will be using Remifentanil infusion for the surgery. This drug is short-acting, and it does not interfere with Diazepam. I suggest you consult an anest...  Read Full »

How to stop taking the drug Suboxone?
Query: Hi doctor, I have had about a six years dependency on the drug Suboxone. I do not abuse it, but I have tried several times to taper or wean. I have a white-collar high profile job and I really need to get this off to avoid problems in the future. Do you have any recommendations to get this off? I w...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Suboxone consists of Buprenorphine and Naloxone. Buprenorphine is a partial opioid agonist. The drug is given in order to replace opioids during opioid de-addiction. If not properly tapered and doses taken regularly, then the drug is known to cause significant dependence....  Read Full »

Is it tough to overcome Benadryl addiction and get a sound sleep?
Query: Hi doctor, I am spending sleepless nights. I am struggling to fall asleep and often get disturbed by dreams. I feel restless legs throughout the night. The next morning when I wake up I feel fatigue. I am addicted to Benadryl to get sleep. But, I am trying to avoid it now. Please guide me for a s...  Read Full »
Dr. Bharat Udey
Geriatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your complaints, it seems that you might have developed dependence on Benadryl. And it is quite possible that due to this dependence you might be having these symptoms. Benadryl is basically a Codeine-based cough syrup, which is an antitussive agent OTC (over th...  Read Full »

Can excess intake of water give false negative drug test?
Query: Hi doctor,I took a drug test and it came out negative, I am on Oxycodone 5 mL, Gabapentin, Methocarbamol and Lisinopril. How could it come out negative while taking these drugs? I drink a lot of water. Is this the cause? How does this happen? Please help.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Two common potential causes for false negative opiate tests are using the wrong test for a specific opiate or having an insufficient concentration of an opiate in the sample. Other possible reasons can be due to dilution for example ingesting a substantial amount of water...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for right-sided anterior pelvic tilt?
Query: Hello doctor, My husband is suffering from an anterior pelvic tilt in the right. He is a bodybuilder and currently not able to do workouts since he has pain and numbness in both upper and lower sides of the body in the right region. He also has muscle imbalance because of that. We have consulted se...  Read Full »
Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is common for this anterior pelvic tilt position to drastically affect your posture even up into the upper back and neck. The tight muscles are hip flexors, tensor fascia lata, and quadriceps and weak muscles are the gluteal groups and hamstring, abdominals. Str...  Read Full »

Is it safe to take Nucoxia for a long period?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 39 year old male. I have been diagnosed with mechanical low back pain and SI joint pain. My doctor has advised me to take Nucoxia 60 once daily for three months. Is it safe to take Nucoxia an anti-inflammatory medicine for such a long period of three months? Doctor has not prescri...  Read Full »
Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned that you have been diagnosed as a case of mechanical back pain. Since your question is specific for Nucoxia, I can tell you that Etoricoxib is actually a COX-2 inhibitor which is definitely safer than conventional NSAIDs (non steroidal anti-inflammatory...  Read Full »

Drug Addiction: Why Does It Occur and What Can We Do About It?
Article Overview: This article discusses the pathological basis of addiction and evidence-based treatment approaches.  Read Article »
Dr. Alok Vinod Kulkarni

Drug dependence is on the rise and is viewed as the new age epidemic. Drug Dependence, a Disorder of the Brain Circuitry: A host of brain areas (multiple brain circuits) are involved in the genesis of addiction. But, the nucleus accumbens is the most often studied target. This brain structure is i ...  Read Article »

The Pupil of Our Eye and Problems Related to Its Size
Article Overview: The pupil is a circular opening in the iris of our eye with variable size. The main function of the pupil is to constrict in the presence of light and hence regulate the amount of light entering the eye. This mechanism of light regulation is quite important in determining the clarity of vision. Excessive light entering into the eye can bleach the photopigments and cause blinding. This article gives in-depth knowledge about the size of the pupil, its normal behavior and the main symptoms in cases of pupillary disturbances and simple measures to cope with it.  Read Article »
Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

The pupil is an opening in the center of a muscular diaphragm, the iris. This unique property of iris musculature to contract and hence shrink their size gives the pupil the characteristic property to widen or constrict in size. This plays a very important role in improving the quality of the image ...  Read Article »

Itching - a Common Symptom of Skin Disorder
Article Overview: In this article, I have discussed various causes, types and management of itching.  Read Article »

Pruritus (itching) is the predominant symptom of inflammatory skin disease. It lacks precise definition and can best be defined indirectly as a sensation that leads to a desire to scratch. Types of Itching: Tickle sensation, which is a more akin to touch. It is very transient and easily relieved ...  Read Article »

Do you have a question on Opioids? We have medical experts to help you right away.