Otitis Externa

Related Terms: Ear Pain, Ear Infection, Otitis Media, Ear Wax, Acute Otitis Media, Anti-inflammatory Ear Drops, Ear Diseases

How can I get rid of swimmer's ear?
Query: Hello doctor, I have swimmers ear and I do not know how to get rid of it and now my ears hurt extremely bad.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com If you have diffuse otitis externa then you must rule out malignant otitis externa. If you are immunocompromised or a diabetic you need to worry about the same. It will be prudent to get a culture sensitivity swab of the discharge from the ear whenever you have the condi...  Read Full »

I have ear pain after removing ear wax. Is it serious?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from ear pain for the last two days and it has become really serious now. The entire right side of my face has gone numb and I am not able to hear properly in my right ear. I can listen to some hissing sound. I remember cleaning my ear with my fingers and tried to...  Read Full »
Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your symptoms and history of ear cleaning, it is suggestive of otitis externa with ear wax. Do not worry too much. It is a soft tissue infection of your ear canal most probably due to finger nail trauma. You need to take some medication and precautions and it ...  Read Full »

Why the ear pain increased after using prescribed ear drops?
Query: Hello doctor,A few months back, I had ear pain and according to the doctor, I had a fungal infection and got my ear cleansed and prescribed some drops for my ear to be used. As I used those ear drops my ear pain got increased and it turned into a very severe pain that I start feeling that some fluid...  Read Full »
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. Regarding your ear pain, it is most likely what is called otitis externa which is an infection of the outer canal of the ear most likely fungal. Wet ear is the most common cause also called swimmer's ear. The most appropriate management: ...  Read Full »

How to plan the treatment for ear pain?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22 year old female, suffering from ear pain. The doctor confirmed that it is due to some virus and there is a small hole in my ear. Some tablets and Otobiotic drops were given. Still, it did not cure my pain. Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome in icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You are probably suffering from CSOM (chronic suppurative otitis media) with otitis externa. My advice is to consult your ENT doctor for thorough examination of the ear and necessary investigations to know the real pathology for planing fina...  Read Full »

Why is there pain in my ear even after using ear drops?
Query: Hello doctor, I had a mild ear infection. I went to see a doctor as the ear started draining clear fluid. The doctor said the draining was only on the outside of the ear. She prescribed Ciprodex ear drops. I am on the second day of taking them and I just woke up in the middle of the night with ...  Read Full »
Dr. Rahul Narayanrao Rathod

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, it is not so, as you have an infection in the outer part of the ear. It is called as otitis externa. In this condition, there will be a severe aching pain in the outer ear. The cause of otitis externa may be due to a humid environment, any micro-injuries, or any ...  Read Full »

I had a ear drum repair surgery four years ago. And now it is infected again. Please guide me.
Query: Hello doctor, I had myringoplasty done four years ago on my left ear. The surgeon, at the time, has advised me, the procedure will be done through the ear canal to repair the perforated eardrum. Three weeks after the surgery, I returned to my ENT specialist to get it checked, and upon inspection, he...  Read Full »
Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. As your ear was healing well after the surgery, this indicates that there was no fault in the procedure. But unfortunately, you have again developed the foul-smelling discharge. The possibilities are: Otitis externa. Recurrence of otitis m...  Read Full »

Are ear infection and constant ear pain indicative of any eardrum problem?
Query: Hello doctor, The patient had three tympanoplasty surgeries in the past, the most recent being a decade ago. She has 10 % hearing in one ear where surgery was performed. Recently, the patient developed an ear infection. Black and white fungus detected in the air. ENT used a micro-suction device to ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I need some details. Are the CT scan films those are attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) taken after the development of the latest problem or are those taken during the tympanometry surgery in the perioperative period? Do you have the details of...  Read Full »

Do I need to visit a doctor for ear block issue?
Query: Hi doctor,I just tried an ear wax cleaner and it just completely blocked my ears. I am having an ear block issue even after swimming. Is there anything I can do at home? Or do I need to visit a doctor?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The wax has absorbed the cleaning fluid and got swollen blocking the ear canal. It is common. The block is transient and you keep putting the drops as advised by the ENT doctor. Usually we put drops for 4 to 5 times daily for five to six days and then go back ...  Read Full »

Why is there severe pain and hearing loss after ear pricking?
Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from severe ear pain in my left ear. Today is the third day and I cannot hear properly. It resulted due to pricking my ear.  Read Full »
Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After reading what your complaints are, I think two possibilities are there which can lead to the symptoms you are perceiving. It could be that you already had an underlying infection of the middle ear which can lead to an earache and pricking was incidental or that fid...  Read Full »

How to Cure Pseudomonas Infection?
Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the causes of infection, sign and symptoms, investigations and treatment of pseudomonas infections  Read Article »
Dr. Vidhi Hareshbhai Talati
General Medicine Physician

Gessard first discovered this infection in 1882. Pseudomonas infection is one type of bacterial infection which is caused by Pseudomonas aeruginosa bacterium. Mostly normal people have this infection without knowing. It is mostly found in moist environment such as from soil, plants, animals, and wat ...  Read Article »

Do you have a question on Otitis Externa? We have medical experts to help you right away.