Otitis Media

Related Terms: Middle Ear Infection, Ear Infection, Ear Pain, Ear Diseases, Myringotomy, Otitis Externa, Decongestant

Acute Otitis Media in Children
Article Overview: This article talks about the management of acute otitis media in children.  Read Article »
Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otitis media means inflammation of the middle ear cavity with or without mastoid cavity inflammation. Otitis media can be bacterial or viral. The middle ear is a cavity connected to the oropharynx by the eustachian tube and connected with the mastoid cavity by the mastoid antrum. Otitis media is m ...  Read Article »

I have recurring otitis media. How can this be fully resolved?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 46 year old male. I have been having recurring otitis media every year since three years. I was treated with various courses of antibiotics. Amoxicillin is already resistant. So Cefpodoxime and recently Cefuroxime is being used for treatment. I would like to know if ther...  Read Full »
Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Taking antibiotics is not the solution to the problem. If you have a recurrent infection and eardrum perforation, you need to undergo a minor ear surgery which is performed by almost all ENT surgeons. What investigations have you got done till now? Also, d...  Read Full »

Homeopathic Management of Acute Otitis Media
Article Overview: Acute otitis media (AOM) is a condition, which is frequently encountered in children under 5 years and one of the most troublesome disease. This article discusses the causes, incidence, risk factors, symptoms, prevention of the disease and role of homeopathy in combating the disease.  Read Article »
Dr. Ashish Kumar Dixit
Homeopathic Physician

Acute otitis media (AOM) is the presence of inflammation in the middle ear accompanied by the rapid onset of signs and symptoms of an ear infection. Causes: Frequently it occurs in infants and children. The most common causative organisms are Streptococcus pneumonia, Hemophilus influenza, Mor ...  Read Article »

Can mold exposure cause an ear infection?
Query: Hello doctor, Last year, I noticed that my 3 year old's tonsils were very large. I contacted his doctor. But, he could not find anything wrong. I later noticed him yelling or talking loudly and asking me to repeat a lot. So, I had a hearing test done and he failed. They explained that he had a flui...  Read Full »
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your kid has a serous otitis media. The mild conductive hearing loss is due to this. In kids the most common cause is adenotonsillitis. My advice is to get a nasopharynx lateral view X-ray done for adenoids and send me the pictures. Give him an oral decongestant syrup ...  Read Full »

I was diagnosed with CSOM and now, facing dizziness. What to do?
Query: Hi doctor, Before five years, I had a left eardrum rupture and transparent watery pus discharge. It turned pale after some time. I tried an ayurvedic ear drop to treat pus discharge. Then, the pus discharge stopped, but there was some itching inside the ear. After 5 years, I was diagnosed to have CS...  Read Full »
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having CSOM (chronic suppurative otitis media), but dizziness in CSOM means complications are arising. This seems to be an unsafe type. The best management would be to go for surgery once dizziness settles. You should get a CT scan of the temporal bone to see the ...  Read Full »

My grandson has developed earache and discharge. What should I do?
Query: Hello doctor, I am traveling with my 16 year old grandson. He had an ear ache when he woke up this morning and we saw a doctor here. He prescribed Amoxicillin 500 mg thrice a day. Later, his ear felt better, but it started draining. Now, there is a small amount of bright red blood in the ear canal. ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. He seems to be suffering from acute otitis media. Yes, you would need to see your doctor again as he would check for signs of a perforation. If no perforation is found, your doctor would add up an antibiotic and antifungal ear drops too. Make sure he does not manipul...  Read Full »

I have a slight loss of hearing in my right ear. Please help.
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19 year old male, and I have been feeling an ear blocking sensation for the past two weeks. I also have a slight loss of hearing at times in my right ear. Although it is mostly in my right ear, sometimes the sensation alternates to my left. It feels as though the sound is not comin...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.The symptoms described by you match with otitis media with effusion of the said ear. In this problem, mucus accumulates behind the eardrum causing some loss of hearing, fullness, and mild dizziness. It follows after an attack of nose block and throat pain.When we examine...  Read Full »

I have fluid in my middle ear. Is there any way to clear it?
Query: Hello doctor, My GP says I have fluid in my middle ear especially in my right ear. I have tried antibiotics and using a nasal spray for two weeks. This has been going on for six weeks. Is there any way to clear it or like my GP says will it just take time? Can this also make you feel slightly off ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fluid in the middle ear is called serous otitis media (glue ear or otitis media with effusion). What we do in such patients is give medical management (antibiotics, decongestants, mucolytics, nasal sprays) and if it fails we go for myringotomy and grommet insertion. ...  Read Full »

What can I do to unblock my ear and resolve tinnitus?
Query: Hello doctor, I had an upper respiratory tract infection which is now resolved. It was in the acute phase. I had a very painful earache. I am fine now except for a blocked right ear with tinnitus (ringing) and muffled hearing. I can feel a crackling sensation in my outer ear. What can I do to unblo...  Read Full »
Dr. Fazil Shajahan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to your symptoms, it looks like you had an acute otitis media. It is common to have a blocked ear after the infection is resolved. You need to do a pure tone audiometry with impedance audiometry to know about your middle ear status and to know about tinni...  Read Full »

How to plan the treatment for ear pain?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22 year old female, suffering from ear pain. The doctor confirmed that it is due to some virus and there is a small hole in my ear. Some tablets and Otobiotic drops were given. Still, it did not cure my pain. Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome in icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You are probably suffering from CSOM (chronic suppurative otitis media) with otitis externa. My advice is to consult your ENT doctor for thorough examination of the ear and necessary investigations to know the real pathology for planing fina...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Otitis Media? We have medical experts to help you right away.