Parkinson's Disease

Related Terms: Tremors, Stroke, Mri Of Brain, Alzheimer's Disease, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Depression, Levodopa

Article Overview: This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for its treatment. Focus is also given to the non-motor manifestations and the neurobehavioral abnormalities. Both medical and surgical modalities of treatment find a mention.  Read Article »
Dr. Alok Vinod Kulkarni

Parkinsonism Parkinsonism is a syndrome manifested by a combination of six cardinal features. They are: Resting tremors. Increased tone of the muscles (aka rigidity). Slowness of movements (bradykinesia). Loss of postural reflexes. Bent or flexed posture. Freezing of gai ...  Read Article »

Parkinson's disease patient fell down and unable to walk, why?
Query: Hello doctor, My mother is a patient of parkinson's disease since last 13 years. She is now 74 years old. She has been under medication like Syndopa plus, Syndopa CR, Amantrel, Admenta, etc. Of late, she had falls twice. From the last two days she is unable to walk for few paces also, as if she has ...  Read Full »
Geriatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. From the available description there are two main possibilities: First the fracture of femur which is very common in elderly and can occur with slight fall. If you think she is not able to move one leg then the possibility ...  Read Full »

Can viral fever lead to Parkinson's disease?
Query: Hello doctor,I had a viral fever six years back. I had a very high temperature of 105, bad cough, also hallucinations. I was seen in the hospital by a CDC doctor and was told I needed to see him a month after I got out of the hospital. I saw him and asked him what I had, and got no answer what so ev...  Read Full »
Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I want to assure you that do not worry as everything is going to be fine if proper care and treatment is opted in for. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns.  Read Full »

Is it possible to identify Parkinson's disease without any test?
Query: Hi doctor, I am writing this is for my father. He is 74 years old. Now, he was diagnosed to have Parkinson’s disease. The doctor just examined and said that this is Parkinson's. Is it possible to identify without going for any tests? Will Parkinson lead to death? Is coffee better for Parkinson’s...  Read Full »
Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The diagnosis of Parkinson's disease is usually clinical diagnosis. In doubtful cases, a DOPA-PET scan of the brain can be considered. Parkinson's disease does not cause death, but it can affect daily living to much extent and make patient dependent. Yes,...  Read Full »

Apart from Levodopa, what other treatment options are there for Parkinsons's?
Query: Hi doctor, I feel extreme fatigue in the morning. I have tremor and right leg tingling. I am experiencing brain fog, Parkinson like symptoms but I did not feel any improvement with Levodopa. My manganese levels are high. Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I want to assure you that do not worry as everything is going to be fine soon. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine concerns.  Read Full »

I have spastic paraplegia.Will dopamine help me?
Query: Hello doctor, I have spastic paraplegia. Everything I have tried has not worked. I was told to try a medication called L-Dopa. Will this medication help me?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. L- Dopa is Levodopa and is a drug for parkinson's disease. It will help you in spastic paraplegia in case there is a deficiency of dopamine in substantia niagra of your brain. It is definitely going to help you if there is any deficiency. But if there is no defici...  Read Full »

Is my grandfather having Parkinson's?
Query: Hi doctor, MRI says mild cerebral atrophy causing impaired motor coordination for my grandfather aged 64, but diagnosed as Parkinson's. Will there be any relation? But, another doctor who saw the report said that it is not Parkinson's and his condition is getting worse due to the dose of PD drug tak...  Read Full »
Geriatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the provided details and attached MRI report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Although it is not enough to refute diagnosis of Parkinson's disease as Parkinson's disease can be diagnosed through clinical examination and there is n...  Read Full »

What do shaky hands and numb toes while walking point to?
Query: Hi doctor, I had my first appointment with a neurologist this week. I am a 21 year old student. The past several years I have been dealing with shaky hands, worse on my left side, that has continuously gotten worse. I also have hypothyroidism and had hoped that as my thyroid balanced out, the shakin...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your history is suggestive of neurological issues with very less possibility of anxiety. Following are the possibilities that I can think of : Amylotropic lateral sclerosis (ALS). Multiple sclerosis. Young onset Parkinson's disease. Parkinson's plus syndrome...  Read Full »

A 72-year-old has an uncontrollable shaking of his hand. How can it be treated?
Query: Hello doctor, My father who is 72 years old has a problem of uncontrolled shaking of his right hand for the past three years. The problem has increased over the years and now he finds it difficult to hold the toothbrush also. Some works he can do without much difficulty like riding a scooter, sweep...  Read Full »
Dr. Shivam Om Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on the symptoms you have described, your father likely has an "essential tremor." This is a very common neurological condition affecting 4% of the elderly population. Yes, it is not Parkinson' s disease but it has to be differentiated from Parkinson's di...  Read Full »

Why is a vascular dementia patient having choking?
Query: Hello doctor,My 89-year-old husband is on Coumadin, no other medications. He has vascular dementia. I took him off all antipsychotic drugs a year ago and he is no longer aggressive. A few weeks ago he began choking. I took him to the ER. They diagnosed acid reflux. I disagreed as he does not have th...  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. Well, choking is one of the leading causes of death in elderly with age more than 75 and causes are usually food related like too spicy for age, hard food or hot food abs sometimes aerated drinks. The condition is aggravated by what is calle...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Parkinson's Disease? We have medical experts to help you right away.