Pituitary Tumor

Is it normal to have a headache following pituitary tumor surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My son had granules of the pituitary gland, and it was removed through the nose by surgery around a month ago. Now, he is getting an occasional headache when he goes out in the sun and when meals delayed. He has a history of a severe headache, and it has not improved with the drugs of a ...  Read Full »

Geriatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. Although headaches are common after pituitary gland tumor, the presence of on and off headaches after one month of surgery indicates more possibility of continuing migraine rather than surgery. This is evidenced by trigge...  Read Full »

Could you advise a possible treatment for my sleep problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a female of weight 60 kg and height 176 cm. I have been having extreme trouble with sleeping for about 18 months now. I struggle to get to bed, and when I finally do, I wake up once in one and a half hour or so and feel like the sleep is not a deep one. I feel like I have a restless ...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your limited history, two plausible causes of your insomnia can be made out. Cabergoline is a dopamine agonist, which has stimulating properties. However, you cannot quit taking it because it is needed in your case. Hypothalamus is connected to the pituitary both ...  Read Full »

What are the ways a neurosurgeon can get access to someone's brain?

Query: Hello doctor, What are the ways a neurosurgeon can get to someone's brain? Along those lines, what does a person typically experience after having their skull opened or a bone flap?  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your concern, I would explain that there are a lot of ways that a neurosurgeon can reach the brain: 1. Craniectomy: Trepanation and excision of the skull, which is called open surgery. 2. Endoscopy, through a device like a tube with a camera, which is cal...  Read Full »

Is the lump in breast cancer or cyst?

Query: Hello doctor, I found a lump in my breast five months back. Initially, it was told to be a cyst. I followed up after four weeks, and the cyst was unchanged. My PCP recommended a needle biopsy to be safe. My surgeon felt more comfortable with lumpectomy because I have a family history of thyroid tum...  Read Full »

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Medical Oncologist

Answer: I have seen your reports. It looks like early breast cancer, and it is predominantly a cystic lesion. It is staged as pT1c Nx hormone receptor positive and HER2/neu negative. Histopathology is showing low-risk breast cancer as it is predominantly a cystic lesion with a predominance of intracystic pa...  Read Full »

In what conditions can a person have cyclical Cushing's syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 21 years now. I weigh 60 kg and was diagnosed with cyclical Cushing's syndrome at the age of 20. I had an MRI scan for a pituitary tumor in my brain. But, the clinical findings did not match up. I went to a top end endocrinologist who is a professor in endocrinology. I have beard ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, there is no other pituitary in the brain and sometimes urinary test fails to detect hormones. In cyclical Cushing's, the cortisol levels fluctuate over time, making the diagnosis even more difficult. The source of ectopic hormone production should be searched for, o...  Read Full »

What is the use of PET scan?

Query: Hi doctor, I would like to get an opinion about my PET scan. I have attached my PET scan report for your reference.  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A PET scan (positron emission tomography) is a scan in which a radioisotope substance is injected and in most cases tagged glucose is given to the patient. This glucose gets concentrated in areas where there is increased consumption and therefore it is seen as increased d...  Read Full »

I do not have any symptoms, then why is my prolactin level high and testosterone level low?

Query: Hello doctor, My doctor wants me to get an MRI after my blood work. I wanted to get a second opinion, and I have attached my blood results. My prolactin is 20.4 (above normal), total testosterone is 269.3 (below normal), free testosterone is 8.9 (normal), FSH is 3.7 (normal), LH is 2.9 (normal). I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for posting your query. See, your prolactin levels are high. There are only two reasons for that: Problems in the testes. Problems in the pituitary gland located in the brain. Now your endocrinologist wants to know if there is any pituitary problem, which is causin...  Read Full »

I have headaches, dizziness, and swollen feet and ankles. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am wondering if anyone would know what is wrong or what other tests can be done. My ANA is 1:360, TSH is 0.5, free and total, T3 and T4 are normal. SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) is negative, Sjorgen's is negative, and thyroid ultrasound is normal. Symptoms experienced are extrem...  Read Full »

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. Firstly, let me summarize your complaints and investigations. You have symptoms of ill health which include headaches, giddiness, and swelling of feet and ankles. Positive findings on investigations are your high leukocyte count of more than...  Read Full »

Can you interpret MRI reports post pituitary macroadenoma surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, This query is regarding my husband's health. Three months back, my husband underwent surgery for pituitary macroadenoma. He was advised Hisone steroid tablet for three months. But he has a headache on and off. He has gained 9 kg in three months, though he eats very little. Yesterday, w...  Read Full »

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The MRI (attachment removed to protect patient identity) does not show a residual or recurrent tumor as per what you have written as part of the MRI report. Hisone (Hydrocortisone) is a steroid supplement for hormonal imbalance which may occur after pituitary surger...  Read Full »

Why am I having high prolactin level?

Query: Hi doctor, I would like help in understanding my situation and a second opinion to that of my GP. I had a blood test two months back which showed serum prolactin levels at 618. I was unaware what the test was for so breastfed before and during the blood being taken. I breastfeed a toddler betwe...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader

Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. To get rid you of your worries, I should let you know the usual level of prolactin in different conditions. The upper limit of normal for many assays of serum prolactin is approximately 500 mIU/L (24 ng/mL). In non-pregnant and non-lactating patients, monomeric prolacti...  Read Full »

All the answers published in the forum are given by leading doctors, therapists and health experts.