Placenta Previa

Related Terms: Low Lying Placenta, Pregnancy Complications, Bleeding During Pregnancy, Pregnancy, Vaginal Bleeding, High Risk Pregnancy, C-section

Placenta Previa and Low-Lying Placenta
Article Overview: This article talks about a condition in pregnancy where the placenta lies lower than usual, known as placenta previa and its types, symptoms, causes, complications, and precautions to undertake.  Read Article »
Dr. Vasantha K S
Childbirth Educator

The placenta is a special organ that develops in the uterus only during pregnancy providing nutrition and oxygen to the growing fetus and assisting with the elimination of waste products via the umbilical cord connection. It is usually located near the top portion of the uterus. If there is placent ...  Read Article »

How to confirm placenta previa?
Query: Hello doctor, My wife is pregnant and she is feeling of placenta previa. Occasionally, she also feels the pain. How to confirm that?  Read Full »
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For the diagnosis of placenta previa you have to do an ultrasonography. Please also let me know how many weeks she is carrying now. Send me the detailed information along with the USG (ultrasound) report. Revert back with the asked details to an obstet...  Read Full »

What are the precautions to take in case of placenta previa?
Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 15 weeks and five days pregnant. Recently, she had an episode of a moderate amount of bleeding per vaginam. We immediately shifted her to the hospital where she was given some conservative treatment, and a USG was done. It was found that the inferior margin of the placenta w...  Read Full »
Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is nothing to worry about since everything is fine in the scan. Taking proper rest and hormonal supplements will do. However, if you have a doubt, then get back to me with the reports so that I can guide you further. Take care. For more information consu...  Read Full »

Bleeding with clots and tissues,due to low-lying placenta. Is this placenta previa?
Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 35 years old and first time pregnant. She got pregnant naturally. She is running into 18 weeks and five days as of today. No history of any fertility treatment ever. Last week, she had bleeding with clots and tissues (one pad soaked each time) twice in four days interval. W...  Read Full »
Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, the above medication will be effective and safe. The minimal bleeding will also settle down soon. Since it has been detected by scan, then definitely it is placenta previa. At this point of time, it is better to avoid journey as it may increase the amount of bleed...  Read Full »

I had heavy bleeding due to placenta previa. How can I ensure nutrients to the baby?
Query: Hi doctor, I have been diagnosed with placenta previa at 14 weeks. I have had one episode of heavy bleeding. Are there any foods (going above and beyond healthy pregnancy foods) that I should eat to ensure my baby gets the nutrients he needs to make up for the blood loss?  Read Full »
Dr. Ravinder Kaur Khurana Kaur Khurana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have been diagnosed with placenta previa. Eat high protein diet via vegetarian and non-vegetarian sources, iron-rich diet to make for the losses. You can add Iron tablet daily if Hb is less than 10 gm. Your baby will get good nutrition if you eat a good diet. In your ...  Read Full »

I have low lying placenta at 28 weeks. Can I travel?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 28+2 weeks pregnant and have low lying placenta which is 1.6 cm from the internal os. I want to travel by train for a six hour journey. Will the train journey affect my baby and me? What should I do? What precautions should I take in this? Can blood clot happen in journey? Please adv...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With placenta previa (low lying placenta) at 28 weeks, it is actually not recommended to travel at all by train or flight or for that matter even with car. The aim being to avoid any vaginal bleeding from separation of placenta due to bumps and jerks. The bleeding onc...  Read Full »

Diagnosed with low lying placenta. Is there any complications during long flight travel?
Query: Hello doctor, My wife was diagnosed with low lying placenta. We need suggestion regarding long flight travel.  Read Full »
Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The complication with low lying placenta is bleeding from vagina which can be sudden and sometimes torrential. Flight travel will not affect placenta previa (low lying placenta). But, I would not recommend you to take her for long flight travel as any condit...  Read Full »

I am pregnant.My ultrasound report scares me.What precautions should I take?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old female. I am about 4 months pregnant. This is my second baby, my first kid is 6 years old and my first delivery was a normal one. Ultrasound report says anterior is asymmetrically covering the OS. Is there a possibility for normal delivery? Is there a chance for...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to iciniq.com. You are 16 weeks and 3 days pregnant as of today. Placental position, if it is anterior and covering the OS, then actually it is too early to comment on placenta previa. This can be complete or incomplete. A repeat scan needs to be done at 32 weeks to finalise the po...  Read Full »

What precautions need to be taken for having low lying placenta?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old. I am in my first trimester of pregnancy. My 10 weeks 4 days ultrasound showed a very healthy baby of 36 mm with movements and strong heart beat. It is great news. It also mentioned that anterior placenta extending on the lower end. My gynecologist did not seem conce...  Read Full »
Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is too early to judge about placental position. Secondly with growth of baby, placenta normally moves up. So, there is nothing of concern right now. Regarding precautions, low lying placenta which is also known as placenta previa may sometimes bleed (manifests as v...  Read Full »

In case of low-lying placenta, is it safe to fly?
Query: Hi doctor, Last week, on my second scan (20 week pregnancy), I was diagnosed with the low-lying placenta. I did not have any bleeding or pain so far. I am going for my holiday in five days, and I am wondering if I can fly. Is it safe?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Low lying placenta makes you a high-risk pregnancy anyways and travelling is usually to be avoided in such conditions as bleeding may start due to undue jerks during travelling. But, low lying placenta again is not placenta previa if the lower end of the place...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Placenta Previa? We have medical experts to help you right away.