Platelet Count

Related Terms: Low Platelet Count, Complete Blood Count, Fever, Dengue, Low Platelet, Paracetamol, Iron Supplement

The platelet count has reduced to 35,000 in dengue patient. Is it critical?
Query: Hello doctor,My mother is suffering from dengue fever. The platelet has reduced to 35000. Is it critical? Her reports show sudden reduction in platelets from 1,00,000 to 60,000 then to 35,000. Please comment on this.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have been diagnosed with dengue fever. Dengue fever's first phase is a febrile phase in which fever last for five to seven days and then a critical phase occurs in which plasma is expelled from circulation which lasts for one to two days. So, platelet decline in...  Read Full »

My platelet count is decreasing, but dengue and malaria are negative. Please suggest.
Query: Hello doctor, I have a high-grade fever for the past six days. I checked for Widal test which was positive initially. My platelet counts were at 2.2 lakhs and now it is on a decreasing trend at 1.4 now. Also, the leucocyte count went from 7700 to 2400. Dengue and malaria test are negative...  Read Full »
Dr. Kaveri Dandapani
Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can continue the same treatment. If the temperature does not come down in one or two days, we will go for further tests. Do not worry about platelets. It may go down in other diseases also. Since you are in the hospital, they will be checking your CBC (complete ...  Read Full »

My platelet count, uric acid, SGOT, and SGPT are deranged. How can I be treated?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old man and I weigh 115 Kg. My preventive health checkup results show the following irregularities: Mean platelet volume 12, CHCM 31.8, mean platelet volume at 12, total cholesterol 200.6, serum uric acid 7.8, globulin 3.7, SGOT 93.27, SGPT 213.87, and vitamin D tot...  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I will explain the above one by one. Your mean platelet volume is more and the CHCM (cell hemoglobin concentration mean) is low; however, it is not clinically significant what warrants treatment. Your SGOT (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase) and SGPT (serum glut...  Read Full »

My platelet count is high. What could be the reason?
Query: Hello doctor, Can you please help me understand my test results? My platelet count is at 1314, and my doctors are unable to give me a specific reason for it.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Let me tell you that you have a high platelet count in your CBC (complete blood count) report. The cause can be primary or secondary reactive. Sometime following infections, post hemorrh...  Read Full »

My platelets count is decreasing. And I am having fever from last 6 days with continuous headache.
Query: Hi Doctor, I am having fever since last 6 days with continuous headache. I am taking Paracetamol on regular intervals, but my fever temperature is not decreasing from 100 degree, sometimes it reaches to 103 degree as well. Because of the fever my appetite is also reducing day by day. I got it checke...  Read Full »
Dr. Rajesh Gulati
Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.Platelet count decreases in many other infections also, not only in dengue. If your fever temperature is not getting down with Paracetamol, then it means you had taken a very low dosage and many times it is not able to lower the temperature. You can take tablet Diclomol t...  Read Full »

Can increased platelet count be due to heavy periods?
Query: Hello doctor,I am female 43 years old weighing 209 lbs and height 4'11". Medicines I am taking Metformin, Pravastatin, Omeprazole, Xanax, Sertraline, and Zantac. I have diabetes, feet ankle issues, arthritis, heavy periods, GAD, and clinical depression. My doctor performed CBC and everything was nor...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Due to heavy period and bleeding, you can have a reactive increase in platelet count. Your count is increased mildly and do not worry about that. Even mild variation of 10 to 20 thousand can occur in two subsequent reports from the same sample. So no need to worry. For ...  Read Full »

Why has platelet count gone down after CABG?
Query: Hi doctor, My father underwent CABG before six months. Till then he was on Clopilet alone. His platelet would remain 150000. After CABG, he has been put on Ecosprin and after that his platelets remain 110000 to 140000. Is that fine? He has no other complaints. Is there something we can do to improve...  Read Full »
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on our query, my opinion is as follows: Platelet count at any time above 1 lakh is always good. The minimum platelet count, most of us expect is 50000, below which mild risk of bleeding starts. Hence, 1.1 to 1.4 lakhs is indeed good and not to be worried about. All...  Read Full »

Is a platelet count of 455 units dangerous?
Query: Hello doctor,My mother's platelet count is 455 units. The normal range is 450 units. Her hemoglobin is 8 units. Is this platelet count dangerous? She has pain in the left leg below the knee portion. The nerves below are clearly visible. She took analgesics like Diclofenac, Signoflam, and Zerodol, bu...  Read Full »
Dr. Smrita Singh
Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A platelet count of 4,55,000 /microliter of blood is not dangerous. Your mother is anemic given her hemoglobin level of 8 g/dL. She should be evaluated and her anemia treated accordingly. I do not understand what you mean by visible nerves. Do you mean veins? Please...  Read Full »

My brother's platelet counts are not going up even after transfusion. What to do?
Query: Hello doctor,My brother has dengue fever. His platelet counts were dropping and once they reached 18,000 he was given one unit of platelet transfusion. But, his counts did not increase when checked after four hours and was at 17,000. So, the doctor went for a second infusion. There are no other sy...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, do not panic. Dengue is a self-recovering condition. His platelet counts will gradually rise. Platelet transfusion is fine. Normally, random donor platelets (RDP) increases the platelet count by 5000 only while single donor platelets (SDP) increases it by a...  Read Full »

Will high platelet count cause a blood clot or stroke?
Query: Hello doctor, My mother has high WBC count of 15,000, platelet count of 5,40,000, and hemoglobin at 11.2. Her ESR is 86, and CRP is also similar. She has a fever, which rises in the evening to 101. Can you please tell me what this denotes? Also, will the high platelet count cause a danger for a bl...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. High platelet count will not lead to thrombosis in the body. Do not worry about that. High platelet is because of reactive thrombocytosis, and that can occur in bleeding, anemia, infection, inflammation, etc. You have an ulcer in the colon, and it seems to be ulcerative...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Platelet Count? We have medical experts to help you right away.