Potassium Level

Related Terms: Dialysis, Diabetes, Fluid And Electrolyte Imbalance, ECG, Hypertension, Arrhythmias, High Serum Potassium

Is potassium level of 5.5 high as I am feeling nauseous and numb?
Query: Hello doctor, My potassium is 5.5. Is that high because I am nauseated a lot, hands and feet get tingly or go numb a lot. I am tired a lot and my heartbeat feels irregular a lot plus I have had diarrhea or very thin stool for past few months. Cancer too runs in my family.  Read Full »
Dr. Lohit Chauhan
General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, serum potassium of 5.5 mEq is a bit high. The usual range of serum potassium is 3.5 to 5 mEq/L. Although 5.5 mEq/L is not that high to produce symptoms, but as your query suggested you are feeling the irregular heartbeat, I would suggest you get an ECG (EKG) done ...  Read Full »

My calcium and potassium levels are high. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, I just had a biometric screening. My calcium was 10.3 and potassium was 6.1. The doctor said my calcium and potassium levels were a little over what they should be, and that my MCHC was off. I have tried to ask if I should be concerned, but they refuse to talk to me about it, until I m...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have any symptoms like cough, weight loss or an underlying disease? Do you drink a lot of milk? Calcium is borderline elevated. In fact, calcium up to 11 is considered as normal. So, I do not think there is any need to worry about it. Drink plenty of water. How...  Read Full »

Would glucose water consumption alter potassium levels?
Query: Hi doctor,The patient is a 28 year old male. He had diarrhea for about 25 days, out of which about one week was severe (had around 85 times in a week) and hospitalized. While in hospital, he had increased potassium (4.7) and was given a nebulizer for two days. He lost about 10 kg during this episode...  Read Full »
Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, glucose or glucose water does reduce potassium levels and that could have given the normal results next day. I recommend you to repeat potassium level test after a week. If it is high, then he needs to undergo a complete evaluation for the cause for high potassium. F...  Read Full »

I feel a sudden change in heartbeat. Will Potassium tablet help?
Query: Hi doctor, Can a normal person take Potassium Chloride (99 mg) tablet for good working of the heart? I sometimes feel a sudden change in my heartbeat. Will this tablet help to rectify that? What are the side effects of the above mentioned tablet? I have started taking it just three days before and ...  Read Full »
Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, Potassium chloride should not be taken without measuring serum potassium levels on daily or alternate day basis. Potassium is a highly toxic electrolyte component of blood. The increased level of potassium can cause skipped beats. It can cause palpitation and after a ...  Read Full »

What will happen if I take Potassium chloride tablet without the need?
Query: Hi doctor,I was not prescribed by my doctor to have Potassium chloride tablet. But, I had one tablet per day for the past two days. Is it fine to take? What will be the side effect? Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Potassium chloride tablet should not be taken without monitoring. Serum potassium level should be done once in every three days. Hyperkalemia (elevated level of potassium) is a very dangerous thing. It can precipitate many sorts of arrhythmias (abnormal heart b...  Read Full »

I had pulmonary embolism. Can I take Spironolactone?
Query: Hello doctor, I had a pulmonary embolism as a teenager 10 years ago after taking Yasmin for acne. I was wondering if Spironolactone would be safe to use or could it cause me another embolism? I have a mild form of PCOS. Accutane did not work and acne creams do not work. Currently, I am using Minocy...  Read Full »
Dr. Smrita Singh
Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Spironolactone does not increase the risk of thrombosis. You can take it but you need to monitor your potassium levels. Spironolactone increase your potassium levels. Avoid eating food items that are rich in potassium while taking the medication to prevent a sudden i...  Read Full »

Kindly give your expert opinion regarding heart surgery.
Query: Hi doctor, My relative has got heart attack some days before. I have his reports. We need a second opinion about surgery whether he should go or not. His presenting complaint includes chest pain and high blood sugar. He is under diabetes medicine.  Read Full »
Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kidney function tests of your relative are deranged (attachment removed to protect patient identity). His serum creatinine levels and potassium levels are high. What do you mean by surgery? Is that open heart surgery or stenting? However, the surgery c...  Read Full »

Is there any medicine to treat cramps in legs and hands?
Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 80 years old. Height 5", weight 40 Kg. No history of sugar or BP. The respiratory system is normal. Diet is normal, two or three chapatis. She is suffering from cramp in legs and hands for the last one year. She is advised for Methylcobalamin 1500 OD with Becozinc multivi...  Read Full »
Dr. Magesh T
General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read about your mother's complaint. I would advise you to have a basic blood investigation to look for serum potassium level. If potassium is low, she will need extra potassium in her diet like tender coconut water and other dietary supplementation. You will also requir...  Read Full »

Please give a suggestion regarding the minor change seen in my ECG.
Query: Hi doctor, I went for an annual health checkup and found there was a minor change in the ECG. I am 28 years old. My weight is 80 kg and height is 163 cm. My BMI is 30 and waist circumference is 90. My BP 130/90 mmHg. I am also attaching my ECG report to you. I need your suggestion. Thank you.  Read Full »
Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your age is 28 and you are obese. Your electrocardiogram (ECG) is normal and no need to worry. The minor changes are hyperacute T waves that may be due to increased potassium levels in blood, but no need to worry. There is day-to-day variation in potassium levels dependin...  Read Full »

Can I take Melatonin while on Lisinopril?
Query: Hi doctor, I am currently taking Lisinopril for high BP. May I use a salt substitute to reduce magnesium level? Can I take Melatonin while on Lisinopril?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, I suggest Melatonin can be consumed along with Lisinopril. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and then take the medicine with consent. It is not advisable to use a salt supplement with Lisinopril, as it can cause hyperkalemia (high potassium level in the b...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Potassium Level? We have medical experts to help you right away.